Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONTESTS: let's take a poll

Let's stay on topic and just LIST these 4 things in order to keep it clean. I'd like to see the data among us. We can argue on the other thread. I'll go first. Curious how many of us got repped off contests and how many through other means.

CURRENTLY REPPED?: Yes, manager/Lawyer

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Yes, Nicholl. 2 scripts same year. Dead in round 1.

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Yes, Agent/Manager/Lawyer

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: No. Referrals every time. Via new material.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Re: CONTESTS: let's take a poll

Cool! I'll play...

CURRENTLY REPPED?: Yes. Agent/manager/lawyer.

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Several, both TV and feature. Got "The Call" from NBC Writers on the Verge and ABC/Disney, and that's as far as it went; was a finalist in Austin's spec TV category (existing series, not original pilot-- no one gave a f*ck!); Trackingb.com pilot competition finalist; current Nicholl quarterfinalist (still waiting on semi's announcement, whenever that is).

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Yep. A few managers.

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: Got my current manager by being a finalist in trackingb.com. Long story, but it happened two years later and can be tied to that (though technically it was a referral). The other managers were straight-up referrals. Agent came from my manager. Lawyer came from a previous manager.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
      Cool! I'll play...

CURRENTLY REPPED?: Yes. Agent/manager/lawyer.

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Several, both TV and feature. Got "The Call" from NBC Writers on the Verge and ABC/Disney, and that's as far as it went; was a finalist in Austin's spec TV category (existing series, not original pilot-- no one gave a f*ck!); Trackingb.com pilot competition finalist; current Nicholl quarterfinalist (still waiting on semi's announcement, whenever that is).

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Yep. A few managers.

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: Got my current manager by being a finalist in trackingb.com. Long story, but it happened two years later and can be tied to that (though technically it was a referral). The other managers were straight-up referrals. Agent came from my manager. Lawyer came from a previous manager.
      Cool. Thanks for playing.

But, wait, you're in Nicholl RIGHT NOW? With a new script or trying to revive an old one? I'm curious what your manager thinks of this (feel free to PM that answer if you don't feel comfortable answering here.)

Damn it, I broke my own fukkin rules. LOL
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
        Cool. Thanks for playing.

But, wait, you're in Nicholl RIGHT NOW? With a new script or trying to revive an old one? I'm curious what your manager thinks of this (feel free to PM that answer if you don't feel comfortable answering here.)

Damn it, I broke my own fukkin rules. LOL
        LOL, sure I'll hit you up.

Comment

I will play....

CURRENTLY REPPED?: Yes, manager/lawyer

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Nope. Did put a script on the Blacklist Site when it started and optioned it to a big ProdCo. Never got made, I have it back.

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Yes, Manager.

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: No. Referrals every single time.

And.... make my living doing this.

Comment

CURRENTLY REPPED?: Lawyer only.

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Yes, Won a few smaller ones, finalist in quite a few more. But not Nicholl.

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Yes, Agent.

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: Nope. Got work, though.

Comment

CURRENTLY REPPED?: No

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Yes, a few. Nothing ever came of them.

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: No

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: No.

I am in the process of optioning my first script though.

Comment

CURRENTLY REPPED?: Negative.

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Yep, too many to count.

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Manager.

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: Yes, after a thriller of mine placed top 10 in Tracking-Board's Launchpad Competition.
                FADE IN:
                PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

CURRENTLY REPPED?: Yes, Agent/manager/Lawyer (I'm not in the WGA yet but have positioned myself to have representation in LA for when I'm in the union ... 6 credits/points to go) because I don't live there.

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Yes, mostly Nicholl, Austin and Page as well as a couple minor ones early on. I've also entered the Sundance labs both in features and in episodic. I've been a finalist for both Sundance programs, Gold for comedy in Page and last year won the Austin Drama category and Nicholl fellow (both with same script) I've been entering screenplay competitions for 16 of the 18 years I've been writing. Last year was good.

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Yes, Manager for a hot minute 10 years ago. Not a good fit and I wasn't truly ready in my opinion.

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: Yes one of the big 4 after the Nicholl win. First manager after the Page win.

I'm beyond happy to be done entering script competitions but I wouldn't be where I am without them.

W

Comment

Originally posted by wenonah View Post
                    CURRENTLY REPPED?: Yes, Agent/manager/Lawyer (I'm not in the WGA yet but have positioned myself to have representation in LA for when I'm in the union ... 6 credits/points to go) because I don't live there.

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Yes, mostly Nicholl, Austin and Page as well as a couple minor ones early on. I've also entered the Sundance labs both in features and in episodic. I've been a finalist for both Sundance programs, Gold for comedy in Page and last year won the Austin Drama category and Nicholl fellow (both with same script) I've been entering screenplay competitions for 16 of the 18 years I've been writing. Last year was good.

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Yes, Manager for a hot minute 10 years ago. Not a good fit and I wasn't truly ready in my opinion.

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: Yes one of the big 4 after the Nicholl win. First manager after the Page win.

I'm beyond happy to be done entering script competitions but I wouldn't be where I am without them.

W
                    Congrats on your success. May I ask was your Nicholl's win a historic drama?

Comment

Originally posted by Splendor View Post
                      Congrats on your success. May I ask was your Nicholl's win a historic drama?

Nope! It's a female-driven, thriller, sex trafficking script that takes place on a reservation.

Comment

CURRENTLY REPPED?: Yes, agent/manger/lawyer (though of course my agents are currently fired)

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Yes, I won a few and was in the Top something... 30? 50? of the Nicholl.

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Yes, previous agents, previous managers, previous lawyers.

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: Never. Referrals.

Comment

CURRENTLY REPPED?: no agent, no manager, lawyer. working on querying now. it is a BAD time.

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: yes, top 15 Industry Insider, creative screenwriting semi-finalist (bad script), quarterfinalist scriptapalooza (same bad script)

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: yes, manager, lawyer

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: Never. not even an email. query letter two managers within 24 hours, referred to black list scores 8s & 9s. Lawyer was a referral. [/QUOTE]
                          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

CURRENTLY REPPED?: Yes, manager/lawyer.

EVER ENTERED A CONTEST?: Yes. Won Gold for Sci-Fi in PAGE.

PREVIOUSLY REPPED?: Yes, previous managers.

GOT REPPED THROUGH CONTEST: No. First manager through query letter. Current manager through referral.

Comment

Working...
                            X