Which time periods of the year are not ideal for submitting material?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which time periods of the year are not ideal for submitting material?

The holidays are fast approaching. I was wondering what the cut off time is for when managers are less likely to be reading (agents and producers also)? A week before Thanksgiving? Do people even bother reading in December? Any other times of the year that are not ideal?

Re: Which time periods of the year are not ideal for submitting material?

Typically, though there are always exceptions, the industry is a quieter (for companies taking out specs) during the winter and summer months. Very very roughly December 1st through mid-January (after Sundance) and July-Mid-September (after Toronto).

That said, because regular business tends to be a little quieter, some managers may actually be more receptive to receiving/reading material during those times, as they may have less on their plate.

It's kind of always a crapshoot, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to try managers on the off-season. I'd probably pass on agents (as a rule, they're much harder to get a bite from anyway) and producers until seasonal business picks up again. But that's just me.
    https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

I've heard that mid-July through August is not great because many in the industry are on vacation.

Comment

To submit your material? As soon as it is requested.

If you are asking when to query (not the same as sending material) then don't overthink it, just avoid holidays. Beyond that, there's never a bad time for a great logline.

Comment

The only real dead time is between Christmas and New Years.

Week of Thanksgiving is pretty dead.

Second half of summer is spotty due to vacays but doable.

Major film festivals take a lot of reps out of town.

Staffing season (March/Aprilish) is a busy time for reps.

Comment

Late October is usually performance review time, so it's the time when productions companies and studios have most of their turnover. I'd avoid sending material out from Late October through the holidays. The town does die for summer as well, from about the fourth of the July through Labor Day, but that has more to do with taking specs into buyers than it does for unsigned writers going to reps.
            Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
              Late October is usually performance review time, so it's the time when productions companies and studios have most of their turnover. I'd avoid sending material out from Late October through the holidays. The town does die for summer as well, from about the fourth of the July through Labor Day, but that has more to do with taking specs into buyers than it does for unsigned writers going to reps.
              Does that apply to lit managers as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                Does that apply to lit managers as well?
                It shouldn't stop you from submitting, but October is a popular time for performance reviews everywhere.
                Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
                  It shouldn't stop you from submitting, but October is a popular time for performance reviews everywhere.
                  Thanks Asteven 50. Appreciate it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Comment

Working...
                    X