Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me or the WGA?

I used to get about 10% read requests from Managers, then zero from April, about the time of the WGA firings.

I thought it was my log line and query, so have been reworking them, but it would well be that Manager's are temporary unavailable.

Starting this thread as it would be good to get a picture of what's happening in the industry with other writer's experience when querying Managers since the WGA actions.

Re: Me or the WGA?

Not about querying, though related - but my team's been moving a lot slower since all of this began. There's just a lot going on right now. Everything's very tentative and tense and tricky. Plus there's Cannes, and after that everyone will start taking turns going on their endless vacays lol.

It's always something in this industry. Just gotta ride the waves. *shrug*
    Last edited by Lahlowen; 05-20-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I'm having the exact same experience. Was beginning to feel like a fugitive from the law of averages. Two of the log lines are pretty sure fire as both of them are currently optioned. I've worked and am trying to change reps. All I'm getting is a wall of silence. I'm gonna lay off till the town settles down.

Comment

I haven't heard anything lately from the management front on my queries...just the proverbial crickets.

But I did send out to about 3 production companies recently and I did get one read request a couple days ago. So it seems producers are still viable?

I have read the managers are now scrambling to multi task with their current clients so they must be too busy to consider new peeps.

Hope this all settles down soon.

Comment

Yeah, for once I can safely that that it’s not you, it’s them.

I mentioned in another thread that a manager I know at a big company said they’re working overtime right now. Especially when it comes to TV staffing season (because from what I hear, that WGA staffing website isn’t the magic bullet the union is selling it as).

Unfortunately most managers aren’t currently interested in taking on new clients unless it’s someone already well established (which is to say, an easy sell).

Comment

Originally posted by lumous View Post
            I used to get about 10% read requests from Managers, then zero from April, about the time of the WGA firings.

I thought it was my log line and query, so have been reworking them, but it would well be that Manager's are temporary unavailable.

Starting this thread as it would be good to get a picture of what's happening in the industry with other writer's experience when querying Managers since the WGA actions.
            I know my log lines are solid, and I've been getting crickets. That said, just to keep my mojo going, I write regularly for Medium.com. Working on a new script but I feel like, meh. Bad time to be pitching.

Comment

I read on Variety that the WGA is telling Managers to do the Agents job and do deals on behalf of writers, then the ATA is firing back saying that this is illegal.

It was a bit perplexing going from getting 3-4 requests a week one time to a string of nothings. I'm not usually one for re-querying the same Manager with the same screenplay but maybe when things settle down, I may have to.

There has to be a better way, start your own agency or co-op.

Comment

Originally posted by lumous View Post

While I can't judge the quality of your work not having reviewed it - your observed drop-off is almost assuredly due to the WGA fiasco.

I just got this email back from a rather high profile manager who requested a full script from me. (Mind you, this request came shortly before the WGA mess)

"I finished your script and I really enjoyed it. You're obviously a talented writer, but honestly, the timing is awful. With this WGA/ATA mess, we are doing our jobs and now the jobs of the agents. So with that, and my projects moving closer to production, I am spread too thin and so really can only consider more established writers. Right now, I am just not able to deliver."
                He then sent me a follow-up email (a response to my "thank you anyway" response) asking me to reach out to him again when this is all resolved.

Ugh. The FRUSTRATION. I'm 43 years old and -- after refocusing on my dream now that the "babies" aren't babies anymore -- have spent the last two years getting my screenplays ready. And to hear that I WOULD now be signed by an incredible management company if not for this WGA mess -- and that it probably won't be resolved anytime soon . . .

It's just a mental beating.

All I can say is -- keep your ear to the rail. Listen for rumblings. Verve recently let out a BIG rumble by signing the WGA's Code of Conduct. Once the other agencies see Verve's people getting back to work and making money, they'll redouble their efforts to get back on that ship.

The agencies need the WGA more than the WGA needs the agencies.

Comment

It stinks, but I also think there's always a way.

Maybe a referral...
                  Maybe if you write the next John Wick, they may find an opening...

So the door is slightly more closed, but I don't believe it's a 100% full stop on getting new clients. It may be 90%. But it's also the perfect excuse to turn down work gently and maybe if they are on the fence, help them decide which way to go.

Because if they love your spec, would it be hard to say, let's show this one around town and see what happens... I can't sign you officially, but I'll show it to some friends...

So in other words, it's not you or the WGA, it's the reps. It always is. They control what they want to do. Risk/Reward.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    I can't sign you officially, but I'll show it to some friends.
                    I would be elated even to get this response.

Comment

Me too. I get it. I'm saying, don't give up.

It's the same as it was at any time -- it's not easy getting a rep.

I wrote my best stuff w/o a rep, so I'm enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post

But I did send out to about 3 production companies recently and I did get one read request a couple days ago. So it seems producers are still viable?
                        Yep, spoke to a producer recently who's done a lot of big studio franchise projects and, well, let's just say they're not hating this current time. There's a direct access to writers that they seem to be enjoying lol. So for now, querying prodcos directly may not be the worst thing if you've got a really great spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahlowen View Post
                          Yep, spoke to a producer recently who's done a lot of big studio franchise projects and, well, let's just say they're not hating this current time. There's a direct access to writers that they seem to be enjoying lol. So for now, querying prodcos directly may not be the worst thing if you've got a really great spec.
                          Hmm. That's really encouraging. I've always taken the manager-scouting route. Going directly to the source is interesting. I know that Brian Koppelman - at the time, a complete unknown - famously went directly to Harvey Weinstein and sold him Rounders, which then made all the managers and agents (who had rejected him before) call him and offer to pay to fly him out to LA and put him up in the best hotel to discuss their representing him. But he NEVER revealed how he got his script in Weinstein's hands in the first place!

May I ask how you find producers to query or submit your work?

Comment

Originally posted by Cokeyskunk View Post
                            Hmm. That's really encouraging. I've always taken the manager-scouting route. Going directly to the source is interesting. I know that Brian Koppelman - at the time, a complete unknown - famously went directly to Harvey Weinstein and sold him Rounders, which then made all the managers and agents (who had rejected him before) call him and offer to pay to fly him out to LA and put him up in the best hotel to discuss their representing him. But he NEVER revealed how he got his script in Weinstein's hands in the first place!

May I ask how you find producers to query or submit your work?
                            if you have a Done Deal Pro membership you have access to the names of prodcos. you can also purchase a "Hollywood" directory. or Even IMDBpro.com.

if you use IMDB to find similar films you'll have access to the prodcos that produced the films. it takes, time, patience and perseverence. but you can get the emails and send them directly to prodcos. some of them accept queries and provide an @info to submit to. or even their websites.

good luck.
                            FA4
                            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                              if you have a Done Deal Pro membership you have access to the names of prodcos. you can also purchase a "Hollywood" directory. or Even IMDBpro.com.

if you use IMDB to find similar films you'll have access to the prodcos that produced the films. it takes, time, patience and perseverence. but you can get the emails and send them directly to prodcos. some of them accept queries and provide an @info to submit to. or even their websites.

good luck.
                              FA4
                              That's a good idea. I do pay for an IMDbPro account, but that was originally to keep my headshot up.

If it doesn't exist already, someone should make a list of all the companies who are accepting queries, those whom refuse to, and those that are wishy-washy about it.

I will start looking. Thanks, Finalact. Just PMed you.

Comment

Working...
                              X