No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writer Emergency

http://www.writeremergency.com/?ref=2026bfb853

I'm not quite sure who's behind it (John August?) but it seems interesting. Anyone know more about this?

Re: Writer Emergency

feels like more guru b.s. to me

Comment

https://twitter.com/johnaugust/statu...28742455783424

Comment

then i stand corrected. push pages are usually just ways to get people on marketing lists

Comment

Actually, it looks kind of cool!

Comment

Bumping this. It's on kickstarter. 10 more days to get one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rs-get-unstuck

Comment

John August passed around sample packs of these in Austin at the live Scriptnotes. they felt like they could be a helpful tool when a writer is stuck, generally or specifically

Comment

Rich writer asking for money? The campaign was dead on day one.
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                  Uh...

What?

The campaign has been a massive success, and this is hardly a major money making endeavor. They're donating a pack for every pack sold. That's pretty damn altruistic in my book.
                  Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    You're kidding, right? Unless by "dead" you mean completely funded many times over.

I also checked these out in Austin and they look pretty useful and high quality. It's clear that a lot of thought and insight went into the content. The kit might be especially good for those of us who work without a smart partner to say, "Okay, what if we tried this...?"

Comment

what happens to all that extra cash? since their goal was only 9 grand.

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
                        It's a very ethical use of Kickstarter. It's using it as a store, really.

Basically, you Kickstart to buy a pack (and get one donated to a school).

So, the more people who Kickstart, the more packs they print.

John talked about it on the Scriptnotes podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by bjamin View Post
                          They are at 64k right now, but they also have to pay Kickstarter and Amazon fees (about 7% total), print about 5,000 decks of cards (and counting), and pay for shipping on most of the decks.

There will most likely be basic office expenses like over 2,000 mailing labels, envelopes, and someone to help stuff and sort. You've also got to save money aside for the tax man, so you don't get hosed in April.

Oh, and it would be nice if they could pay the illustrator for his work, and the writers should also get something for their work as well. After all, artists shouldn't work for free.

"All that extra cash" evaporates pretty quickly.

Comment

What MoviePen said...but even if not...

Why are people upset that these guys might be making money at this? If I had thought of this, you're damn right I would've charged a pretty penny to sell these to writers.

Comment

LOL. I thought the goal was $67,000 and $9,000 funded.
                              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Working...
                              X