No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your take on this, please.

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
    If I were to attempt to keep the ball rolling, couldn't that backfire?
    Only if you have told the person you will not submit elsewhere.

Without a commitment they will assume you are shopping your project around. If they were very interested, they would either option the work while they decide what to do or at least try to talk you into not sending it elsewhere until they make a decision.

There's nothing wrong with getting a bite from someone else and going back to the first party to give them an opportunity to commit. I spent a huge amount of time when I started scriptwriting holding onto scripts when someone expressed interest. I never heard from most of them again and the others were passes. These days, if they don't want me to shop a script around, they have to pay for the privilege. It's a business.

Sorry for the rant. I'm semi-retired from scriptwriting these days (I write and submit occasionally), as I got tired of all the BS and promises and near misses. Screenwriting is a tough world and there are many people who will exploit and attack any weakness they perceive in a writer. If I ever go back I'm going to assimilate properly and be all business and a complete a$$hole.
    TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

PLEASE don't apologize. You're not ranting. You're telling the truth. And you've given me plenty to think about.

If it's any consolation -- and it probably isn't -- in the ten-plus years I've been busting my butt trying to make a mark in this business, I've been through my share of BS, as well. Like a lot of people here. Got "close," several times, but no cigar.

Maybe it's time I became a complete a-hole, as well.

For the record -- I've made no commitment to this person. Verbally, or in writing.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate your taking the time.

Comment

Way too early to go there. It's completely reasonable to assume that if you handed a draft in a week or two before the holidays that the draft would not be read until after Sundance. The town shuts down unless it's life or death. It sucks but it's just the time of year. So your conversation about your draft with the rep should be happening around now. I'd send a polite follow up email and check in. Tell her you have someone interested in reading the script and you'd love her input before you send. If she blows you off after that, you have your answer. More than likely she will schedule a call. But I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Just keep creating your scripts. When you do that, moments present themselves. Getting a rep is not nearly as hard as making a truly compelling, undeniable script. Do that and the rep thing will resolve itself!

Comment

Thanks, mad.

By "someone interested in reading the script," are you suggesting I should imply that another rep wants to read?

Comment

Thanks, mad.

By "someone interested in reading the script," are you suggesting I should imply that another rep wants to read?

Not another manager. Maybe a producer you might know or have worked with who you've told about the script. A writer friend or contact who has a connection to an agent or young director. Anybody in your circle who could move the ball forward would be good enough to gage your rep's interest.

The reason I say this is that in the past if I ran into timing issues getting things read, a polite follow up with my rep telling him about someone who has expressed interest in reading my spec would typically prompt him to read it a bit quicker. But it should be legit. You would never want to lose credibility by manufacturing things. So perhaps reach out to people you've worked with in the past and tell them about the script. Move it forward a little and see if she catches up.
            Last edited by madworld; 01-29-2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
              I haven't, and I probably wouldn't allow it without a good explanation -- for example my agent just had twins last month so I'm sure his extra time is non existent right now. But I also know I'm on a main client list and not being hip pocketed, which I can't say about this situation. Plus my reps haven't been just promoted so they're well oiled machines with assistants.
              Just to weigh in on this: I've been a main client at multiple big management companies, and I don't recall any managers I've had reading work in under a couple of weeks.

Reads taking a month or more haven't been uncommon. And I've had a number of sales/jobs/etc., albeit nothing in the six-figure range.

I got pretty disillusioned with managers, and now I just have agents and lawyers. I don't feel underrepresented, but YMMV.

Comment

I do have a few contacts that I could request a read from if it comes to t
                hat -- and then tell my rep about. Sounds like a good, reasonable approach.

Comment

I do have a few contacts that I could request a read from if it comes to t
                  hat -- and then tell my rep about. Sounds like a good, reasonable approach.
                  I cannot tell you the number of times I've done this with success. I've used contacts to send scripts or pitch myself without my reps. Once I got an offer I turned it over to my rep to negotiate.... Who predictably got mad to begin with for leaving him out of the loop only to remind him again, that I don't work for him. And then he negotiates a fair deal. And gets paid. You cannot wait for other people to always do work you are capable of doing yourself.

Comment

Working...
                  X