Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proofreading Services

Can anyone recommend a reasonable proofreading service?

Thanks
    "Ray, next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!- - Ghostbusters

Re: Proofreading Services

I think comicbent does this.

Comment

GI: I would be careful not to hire someone who will wring the life out of your writing by "correcting" your style.

Comment

Thanks for the shout-out from Richmond Weems.

I used to do proofreading and editing, but I have basically quit, except for a couple of old clients. Maybe I have just one left, now, with whom I continue to work (on his novel) because he has literally begged me and has pointed out that he will end up having to pay someone, so (he argues) why not me? I do it as a favor for him, not as a business venture. Believe me, what I charge is so low that it hardly counts at all, especially in view of the notes and explanations that I generally provide.

A few comments, based on experience.

Every person who wants proofreading will need far more than that. Pure proofreading would be just to check for spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.

However, the line between proofing and editing is a blurry one. What does the "proofreader" do when he finds a word used in the wrong sense, or incorrect grammar, or extremely awkward style? It is hard to draw a line between proofing and editing, because if an editor just proofreads, he will leave things untouched that really need fixing.

What people almost always mean when they ask for proofreading is that they want some help with grammar and style. Many people recognize that they need help. Most of the people that I have helped through the years (usually for free) have been very appreciative. A number of them have written nice emails to me to thank me for helping them to be better writers. Most of the time they said nothing but still asked for help on subsequent occasions.

If the original poster is, presumably, looking for "a set of eyes" for a script, I would recommend Bart, here on Done Deal Pro (and possibly a couple of others here on the board). I just happen to be more familiar with Bart's work. I have seen a couple of examples of it. He points out glaring errors that people are talking about under the subject of proofreading. The original poster might also want to check out Amanda and Andrew, who also have excellent reputations here.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I would like to recommend Amanda, ScriptGal, as she actually offers screenplay proofreading as one of her services.

I've used Amanda for coverage, and Andrew, the Screenplay Mechanic, too and I think they are both fabulous (and I've heard great things about Bart) but to my knowledge, Amanda is the only one who does specifically tackles proofreading. In my experience, you can't go wrong with her, whatever service you need.

DJW

Here's what she says on her website:

While ScriptGal points out obvious errors, in coverage development notes she is more on your story than your spelling. For basic proofreading services, ScriptGal prints out your script, marks it up by hand correcting spelling, grammar and formatting errors, then scans it and sends it back.

Comment

Seconded about Scriptgal. She recently gave me terrific proofreading AND notes for a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by DayJobWriter View Post

Here's what she says on her website:

While ScriptGal points out obvious errors, in coverage development notes she is more on your story than your spelling. For basic proofreading services, ScriptGal prints out your script, marks it up by hand correcting spelling, grammar and formatting errors, then scans it and sends it back.
              Ick - if that's what it says on my site, I need to do some proofing of my own. Always easier to proof SOMEONE ELSE's work.
              ScriptGal
              Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
              Fifteen Years Development Experience
              http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

Yeah, I thought "proofreading" as in...proofreading. But if it's a reader, I'd also recommend Andrew or Amanda (Screenplay Mechanic and ScriptGal respectively).

Comment

Originally posted by ScriptGal View Post
                  Ick - if that's what it says on my site, I need to do some proofing of my own. Always easier to proof SOMEONE ELSE's work.

I think it's the result of my substandard cut and paste job, not you. Sorry about that!

I'M the one who needs a proofreader

Comment

"Bart" would be ExtHollywoodDay to clarify.

Be careful going to him if all you think you need fixed are typos. I've yet to give him a script and not get great story tweak suggestions.

P
                    A
                    R
                    D
                    A
                    C
                    K

Comment

I will jump in and say ComicBent is an excellent editor, I have used him several times when writing papers while doing my Masters. He makes my writing better, while still letting me sound like me. He is also professional and prompt, and in general a stand out person and editor. Sad to hear you are no longer in business (fingers crossed hopes to quality under the "old" client rule
                      826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Actually, Wordsmithteer, I was thinking yesterday about sending an email to you, just to find out if you were all right, what you were doing, etc., because I had not heard from you in a while.

I did not want to drum up business, because I really am trying not to take on any editing work right now, but I was wondering what was going on with you.

Thank you for your nice comment just now. In fact, when I made my remark earlier that some writers had expressed appreciation to me for making them better writers, I was thinking of you and one other person on this board who is primarily a novelist.

I currently have three writing projects of my own, and it is difficult to take on any editing assignments right now. I may do so later.

My projects, in order of priority (in descending priority) are:

1. A screenplay. Comedy. It involves a good idea that I have been developing for a long time; I just have not done the labor of putting everything together.

2. A manual of grammar and style. I have learned a lot in the last ten years of working with people on their manuscripts. Specifically, I have seen the areas of grammar and style that people have trouble with. Some mistakes come up again and again. My approach will be to produce a dictionary-style list (with in-depth discussions) in alphabetical order. You want to know about passive voice? Just go down to PASSIVE VOICE and find the discussion. This will be an ebook.

3. A sociopolitical-philosophical treatise. Also to be an ebook.

These are the reasons that I have stepped back from my editing role.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Comic
                          I suspect if you did a grammar and style ebook for screenwriting I bet you would be onto something there
                          EJ

Comment

Comic
                            I suspect if you did a grammar and style ebook for screenwriting I bet you would be onto something there
                            EJ
                            Daniel,

Strange that you mention that.

My plan is to include a lot of screenwriting and playwriting issues. Tentatively, the scheme is to have a Part 1 for grammar and style, and a Part 2 for screenwriting/playwriting questions.

I am not a professional screenwriter. But you do not have to work in the film industry to know how to handle a great many things that people ask about. The underlying attitude of that section will not be: You can't do this, because they will throw your script away if you do. I recognize that a great many styles and techniques exist. But many people are just completely lost.

Okay, you are encouraging me to get to work.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I am just looking for a proofreader and nothing else. I just need someone to identify typos, punctuation, etc.
                              "Ray, next time someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!- - Ghostbusters

Comment

Working...
                              X