Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Option Time Ended

I had an option with a studio that just ended after 3 years. I was paid for the time. I presently do not have a rep. I want to query the screenplay again, but I'm not sure how best to mention the option. Do you just mention the script was once optioned but it's available now?

Thanks,

JD

Re: Option Time Ended

While three years is a long time you need to be up front about the option on queries to reps, as far as mentioning the option while shopping the script to potential buyers- I would leave that to your rep. In some cases it could be seen as a negative, and with others it might help.

Do you know why the option lapsed? Did a key attachment disappear... another similar project come out that underperformed? These are questions a connected rep can ferret out to help either re-position/re-launch the project or recommend adding it to the writing sample pile.

M
    "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyjason View Post
      I had an option with a studio that just ended after 3 years. I was paid for the time. I presently do not have a rep. I want to query the screenplay again, but I'm not sure how best to mention the option. Do you just mention the script was once optioned but it's available now?

Thanks,

JD
      I don't really think there's a need to mention the option in the query. If they request the script AND want to meet, I think at that point you can talk about the history of the script.

Comment

If it was a "studio option," then I would definitely mention it!

Studio options are hard to come by. A writer who's already done business within the studio system should generate some interest.

An option at a studio means that you probably have contacts at the studio. You've probably been writing at a professional level for a few years, but just haven't "popped."

Yeah, there's now one less buyer for THIS script. And you're not quite the fresh-faced kid who's gonna take the town by storm anymore. But it sets you apart from every other writer whose queries brag about how Mr. Nobody optioned their script and promises it will go into production next year.

Comment

Thank for the good info. I think they just lost all interest in the last 18 months or so.

Comment

Working...
          X