Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug

Good buzz (no pun intended) on this film. Who will see?
    Last edited by roscoegino; 05-25-2007, 03:32 AM.
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: Bug

While it is a cult classic, I don't understand marketing a film under "From the director of The Exorcist." What you are essentially saying with that is, "From a director who hasn't made a film even worth mentioning in over THIRTY years." Doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I will.

Will be a classic for sure. I read the script...it's revolting and vile...the kind of stuff you wish your name was on...the kind of stuff lacking from many recent Horror films.
      sigpic

Comment

Hehe, I'm also going to see this soon enough.
        A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
        Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
        Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Cult classic? EXORCIST was a huge box office hit... and has spawned some inferior sequels and prequels (even recently - the danged 2 Preqs play night and day on HBO).

Problem is, his more recent films just aren't as well known as his old films. They haven't made as much money... or haven't had recent prequels made. From the director of RULES OF ENGAGEMENT might confuse people, as would mentioning SORCERER or TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA or even FRENCH CONNECTION. Problem is - he makes all kinds of different films, and you want a horror film to sell a horror film. Youhave to dig back to find his last horror film, because he's done everything else but since then.

So - how would *you* sell this film? "From the play nobody ever heard of"?

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
            Youhave to dig back to find his last horror film, because he's done everything else but since then.
            The Guardian? Um, yeah... keep digging.

That said, his adaptation of Robt. McCammon's "Nightcrawlers" (for the eighties version of Twilight Zone) was one of the best horror moments on television. Some iffy effects, but damn...

I'd like to see it fleshed out into a feature, but I don't know if there's enough meat there.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

So - how would *you* sell this film? "From the play nobody ever heard of"?
              I would just drop that tagline for the reasons stated, and let the film stand on its own. It has good buzz as has been said. If it is good then word will build and tickets will sell.

Comment

The Exorcist is considered one of the greatest horror films ever made, and is still a rite of passage for the budding monster kids... why ignore that as a selling point?

By the same token, when Sam Raimi gets over the Spider-man foolishness and (hopefully) makes another horror film, is the Evil Dead series too dusty to use as a blurb?

My YouTube channel.

Comment

It may be one of the greatest horror films ever made, but it was thirty years ago and no guarantee he can still make a good film. You can advertise the Rollerball remake as "From the director of Die Hard and The Hunt For Red October," it's still one of the worst films of all time because that director simply doesn't have it anymore as evidence by his output for over a decade.

I just didn't like the advert for Bug and I've said why. If you guys do then great, good for you.
                  Last edited by Cycstorm; 05-25-2007, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
                    I read the script...it's revolting and vile...the kind of stuff you wish your name was on...the kind of stuff lacking from many recent Horror films.

We apparently differ then on what makes a solid genre film. As far as "Bug" goes, click here for all the latest reviews. I don't think the movie is going to become a "classic" by any means but with the marketing campaign it has I'm sure it will draw some "Saw" and "Hostel" fans out of the woodwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
                      I would just drop that tagline for the reasons stated, and let the film stand on its own. It has good buzz as has been said. If it is good then word will build and tickets will sell.
                      That's doing nothing - you have to do *something* to promote it. So - what would you do? What's your sales pitch? You need *something* - what is it?

If you think you can do a better job - do it. If you can't do it, why the heck are you complaining about someone who can?

- Bill

PS: NIGHTCRAWLERS is one of the coolest things I've ever seen on TV - I have a VHS of it I taped way back then. It does what FIRST BLOOD was supposed to do... until it became a Stallone movie.
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I watched this movie at a screening last year. Didn't know what I was getting into. Never even heard of it either. I can't believe it's taken this long for it to be released, but its reasons were obvious. It got bad buzz during the screening -- the audience groaned and were cursing about how bad it was when the movie ended. Seriously, there were people who were genuinely angry about the experience. About half a dozen people walked out during the movie.

It's effectively based on a play, and in my opinion, not a very good play at that either. The trailer plays it off as a pyscho-thriller come horror. But it is far from that. Didn't meet the genre at all. I'll repeat again, it's based on a play -- in other words, the movie is set in this one location -- a motel room -- and the movie has no story development, it's all in the dialog -- on-the-nose, repetitive, overwritten, long-winded monologues, and you can really hear the playwright's pretentious ego oozing out of their mouths. No story, no development, just two emotionally charged people talking about themselves.

Nobody in the theater liked it. I didn't like it.
                        -- Another Writer

Comment

That's doing nothing - you have to do *something* to promote it. So - what would you do? What's your sales pitch? You need *something* - what is it?
                          No that is doing something. I felt the tagline was detracting from the package as I have explained. So by removing it I am removing said detraction and making the overall package better as a result. If you run a store and your merchandise is covered in sh1t, do you leave the sh1t because it is better toi have *Something*

If you think you can do a better job - do it. If you can't do it, why the heck are you complaining about someone who can?
                          I just didn't like the tagline and I have explained my perfectly valid reasons why not. Quite why you feel the need to be condescending about it is beyond me. If I tell you that you're right and I'm wrong will that make you feel better? Because I don't particularly want to argue with you, it really isn't that important to me.

Comment

I just got back from seeing Bug today... and it's definitely not what you'd expect to see in a multiplex, on one of the few screens not set aside for the Ugly 3s. Oddly enough, it bears more than a passing similarity to the "Nightcrawlers" episode, so that in a lot of ways it's a tonal and thematic companion piece.

I liked it, but I'd definitely have to know someone's tastes (really well) as to whether or not I'd recommend it to them. But it most definitely gets under your skin (I'm sure that'll be a recurring line in most of the positive reviews). It stays close to its stage roots, so if you don't like theatre this is probably a bit too stagey. Although as a play, the dialogue carries the show, and so it's a nice change of pace to have every word seeming to be carefully thought-out.

I suppose a downside (for some viewers) would be that the film never explicitly states what the hell is going on, so it's pretty open to interpretation as to what the whole thing is about... whether it's allegorical, just a bunch of unconnected metaphors having an orgy, or to be taken as literal Grand Guignol. Sometimes it edges dangerously close to camp, but never really crosses the line.

One thing I'll definitely give Friedkin (and the writer) props for: they nailed the grungy afterhours lifestyle of folks that have spent way too much of their lives working part time in the bar culture, using their meager wages to get by and then their tips on booze, smokes and whatever else they need to soften the teeth of the trap.

In some ways, the piece seems a little bit too much like a cinematic Rorschach inkblot (re: the writer). I get the vibe that he may have spent a little more time in the milieu than just for research.

I'm also impressed by Judd... I've never really paid any attention to anything she's done, but here the woman proves her chops as an actress... no vanity, just the role. There's more than a few seriously unflattering shots of her throughout... but damn, she grabs on to the role and shakes it like a terrier on a rat.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Good review, Signal. I went to see if my local theater was showing it and the whole place is showing FOUR films. Spiderman 3, Shrek 3, Prates 3 and Fractured with Anthony Hopkins.

Comment

Working...
                              X