No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
    I don't see how it's difficult in terms of software. You upload the listing, just don't activate it until the review comes in. Writers can activate/deactivate their listings right now with a single click.
    It could be that easy. When you don't have any pending reviews, the writer can activate/deactivate a script at their leisure whenever they want, and their subscription is paused. From what I understand, I could upload a script, pause it on the second day, come back 3 months later, and still have ~30 days left.

I have no idea why this ability is turned off when you order a paid review, but it is intentional. And from a programming standpoint, it's much the same as the activate/deactivate function, except it's internally controlled. This leads me to believe that it would be easy to remove to give control back to the writer.

Perhaps the ability to activate/deactivate a script's hosting is removed so that the paid reviewer has access to the script at all times, until the review is completed. That's a weak excuse too, because the system could easily just make scripts always available to a paid reader at all times, even if the script has been deactivated by the writer.
    All the best,
    Lee

Comment

• Re: Black List founder Franklin Leonard answers your questions about the Black List

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
      You'd have a real gripe if no one was downloading your work, but at least you've had 3 downloads, without the benefit of a review. I had 26 impressions and 0 downloads after 20 days of waiting, but not once did I complain.
      I believe 1 of those was my reader and if I recall correctly, my initial download also counts as a download. So it's probably closer to 1 download by who knows who.

People are acting like I am complaining about the price. I have no problem with the price point! I have an issue with the value offered for the price. When you buy 7 grande lattes, at least you end up with 7 grand lattes. So far I'm through nearly $20 of hosting for one measly read! Sorry, that is simply not good value.

Once your script goes live a system of delayed-hosting does not prevent cross-promotion with other platforms, inclusion of Black List links in email queries, or any of the other objections people are raising here. All it does is delay hosting until the review is ready. I really am baffled at the resistance to this idea.

Anyway, I've said my piece, I really hope Franklin will respond in more detail. If not c'est la vie.

Comment

Something to consider:

Once you get a review, the most important factor determining the number of downloads is your score and comments.

However, BEFORE you get a review, the most important factor determining the number of downloads is your concept/logline.

So this gives you the chance to learn something of vital importance: how appealing is your concept? Are people in the Industry willing to check out your script just based on the logline alone?

For spec scripts, concept is king. And although good writing alone can help launch your career, a strongely appealing concept will multiply the amount of attention your writing garners.

So if your script has been up on the site for weeks with no reviews and has lots of impressions, but no downloads, then that should tell you something.

Likewise, if people start to download your script before any reviews come in.

And bear in mind that once you get a review, you will never know if people are downloading (or not downloading) because of your logline or because the scores. So having your script posted BEFORE any reviews come in is the only way to get this very important feedback.

And that's worth paying for.

Comment

Well, as I said, circumstances rarely give you a perfect scientific control, but I did query my logline during the same period and landed 13 reads.

I just don't think industry professionals are browsing through unreviewed script's loglines to the extent you're suggesting. Don't forget "Impressions" include views from other writers (this is another thing that should be changed - views from other aspiring writers mean nothing).

Comment

The whole Impressions and Downloads thing needs to be improved as a priority, that I totally agree with.
            Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
              I just don't think industry professionals are browsing through unreviewed script's loglines to the extent you're suggesting.
              I'm not suggesting that this is happening to any great extent. But it's definitely happening. And if it does happen, then it's definitely a sign your logline/concept is appealing.

You got some downloads before any reviews came in, that's a good sign. Plus you got a bunch of script requests off your query, which also suggests your logline is effective.

Same thing happened to me. I got a few downloads before my first review came in. And I also sent out a few queries and got some script requests.

Each BL download is the equivalent of a script request. And since so few Industry members are paying attention to unrated scripts, even just few downloads is a VERY good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
                The whole Impressions and Downloads thing needs to be improved as a priority, that I totally agree with.
                Absolutely. Does the impression graph still only display days where impressions are one or more, or does it show all days (including days with zero impressions)?

It would be nice to have a graph that shows impressions and downloads in the same graph, for all days.
                All the best,
                Lee

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                  LauriD - can you elaborate on this? Why would putting it on AS help? More exposure? But wouldn't it be mostly be exposure to the beginners?
                  I use AS as an online portfolio. Then when I query about writing gigs, I have links to the AS pages for my scripts in my resume.

So the point is not exposure to people on AS -- it's simply using the facilities that AS provides for free. One could also create one's own web page, of course. But this is easier.
                  "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                    I'm not suggesting that this is happening to any great extent. But it's definitely happening. And if it does happen, then it's definitely a sign your logline/concept is appealing.

You got some downloads before any reviews came in, that's a good sign. Plus you got a bunch of script requests off your query, which also suggests your logline is effective.

Same thing happened to me. I got a few downloads before my first review came in. And I also sent out a few queries and got some script requests.

Each BL download is the equivalent of a script request. And since so few Industry members are paying attention to unrated scripts, even just few downloads is a VERY good sign.
                    Sometimes you get multiple downloads waiting for a paid review, they aren't Industry Members. I've had as many as three, its been mentioned in this thread a few times.
                    Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by WaitForIt View Post
                      Does it vary consistently by genre? I wonder what these three-week-turnaround reads are from.
                      why does it matter? it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by LFGabel View Post
                        Absolutely. Does the impression graph still only display days where impressions are one or more, or does it show all days (including days with zero impressions)?

It would be nice to have a graph that shows impressions and downloads in the same graph, for all days.
                        It hasn't been updated yet, still shows all impressions and downloads and only for days data exists. It seems to be the most requested change on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
                          Something to consider:

Once you get a review, the most important factor determining the number of downloads is your score and comments.

However, BEFORE you get a review, the most important factor determining the number of downloads is your concept/logline.

It seems like most people aren't getting any reads before a review not because their loglines are "bad" but because the industry members aren't scrolling through loglines looking for good ones. I don't think they're browsing much at all. It seems that they look at the top-rated stuff that's highlighted in the newsletters, and they maybe do searches for top stuff in particular genres.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                            It seems like most people aren't getting any reads before a review not because their loglines are "bad" but because the industry members aren't scrolling through loglines looking for good ones. I don't think they're browsing much at all. It seems that they look at the top-rated stuff that's highlighted in the newsletters, and they maybe do searches for top stuff in particular genres.
                            Indeed, it's evident that Industry Members barely have the time to read through spotlighted scripts, never mind trudge through the site looking at log lines.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
                              Indeed, it's evident that Industry Members barely have the time to read through spotlighted scripts, never mind trudge through the site looking at log lines.
                              Right - out of 1500 members, very few are even bothering to download (let alone read) the top-rated scripts.

Five weeks after it got the 9, Whiplash is up to 533 impressions and 23 downloads. That's gratifying, and it's 23 potential reads more than I had before, but it's still a pretty low response rate.

The numbers, at least as reported here on DD, seem comparable for other scripts and other genres --i.e., it's not just that people aren't flocking to romantic action-adventure scripts.

So that's saying that, in general, about 1.5% of the BL pro members will bother to download a top-rated script. Again, this seems inconsistent with the "beat a path to your door" theory.

(As discussed elsewhere, "top-rated" in the BL world seems to mean only "consider," and not "recommend," but still....)

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                                Right - out of 1500 members, very few are even bothering to download (let alone read) the top-rated scripts.

Five weeks after it got the 9, Whiplash is up to 533 impressions and 23 downloads. That's gratifying, and it's 23 potential reads more than I had before, but it's still a pretty low response rate.

The numbers, at least as reported here on DD, seem comparable for other scripts and other genres --i.e., it's not just that people aren't flocking to romantic action-adventure scripts.

So that's saying that, in general, about 1.5% of the BL pro members will bother to download a top-rated script. Again, this seems inconsistent with the "beat a path to your door" theory.

(As discussed elsewhere, "top-rated" in the BL world seems to mean only "consider," and not "recommend," but still....)
                                Again with the numbers. This is meaningless.
                                http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X