Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Imagine-Impact boot camp

Imagine-Impact 2 now accepting submissions.

You have from January 7 - January 20, 2019 to enter.

https://www.imagine-impact.com/

Good luck, people.

(Offhand, Does anyone know if they provide assistance with living arrangements if you are accepted? As in recommending places you can stay? Or are you just on your own? Extended stay hotels out there are super expensive.)

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
      Imagine-Impact 2 now accepting submissions.

You have from January 7 - January 20, 2019 to enter.

https://www.imagine-impact.com/

Good luck, people.

(Offhand, Does anyone know if they provide assistance with living arrangements if you are accepted? As in recommending places you can stay? Or are you just on your own? Extended stay hotels out there are super expensive.)
      Last time they offered $4000 a month for living expenses. (Or something close to that.)

EDIT: Looks like they changed that.

"Are Creators paid?
      Yes. Each creative team will be paid weekly for living expenses (a total of $40,000) to make it possible for them to focus singularly on delivering their project in its most polished form."

FAQ

So, it looks like each individual gets $2500 a week for living expenses.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Yeah -- I just meant, do they have a list of "here's places you can stay for two months that are close-enough to our company to make all the meetings and also where you won't get murdered."

For instance, when certain hotels are used for an annual conference of some kind, those rooms are often provided at a reduced rate, because of the guaranteed occupancy and length of stay. I just wondered if they had a deal with a hotel or two out there for this, since it will be an ongoing thing.

I didn't see any info on their FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
          Yeah -- I just meant, do they have a list of "here's places you can stay for two months that are close-enough to our company to make all the meetings and also where you won't get murdered."
          No, they don't help. But $20,000/month is way more than needed to live comfortably, even in LA.

It's easy enough to find places for an an extended stay on sites like AirBnb and Craigslist.
          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Did anyone here on DD get in last round, BTW?

Comment

On this reddit thread halfway down the comments, there's a person that got in the first lab and he/she said that most of those accepted on the feature side had applied with a finished first draft. He/she said only a few people came in with just an idea and no completed script.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriti...h7&sh=6f07c31d

This might make a difference to you concerning what you enter... or not.

Comment

30 sec video? just something you do with your desktop should be fine, right? i get very nervous speaking. haha. i mean, i might actually pass out while taping... should be good practice.

Lauri, are you submitting? anyone else entering?
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  30 sec video? just something you do with your desktop should be fine, right? i get very nervous speaking. haha. i mean, i might actually pass out while taping... should be good practice.

Lauri, are you submitting? anyone else entering?
                  Yup, I'm entering again.

But I know a BAFTA-winner who entered and didn't even get an interview, so the competition is fierce.

I hate the video, but I can understand it.

From reddit:

"I don’t know how important the video is. The important part is to be personable and “on.” Pitching is a big part of what the program teaches, so the video is about demonstrating that you can be engaging both on and off the page. I’m sure you’ve already discovered that 30 seconds is a loooong time. The key is not to be boring.

And as for the conspiracy theories about the video serving as a backdoor way to gauge the age/gender/ethnicity of the applicants... over half the first impact group was straight, white men. So, while the group was diverse, it’s not intended as a diversity initiative and thus far has not functioned as one.

That said, your personal struggle and experiences in life are VERY relevant. What have you uniquely experienced? What do you know about the world that isn’t being shown on screen? They seem to care about that. Not in some SJW sense, but in a sincere, looking for new voices kinda way."

My last video was a laptop affair on the dining room floor. My new one will be shot by my filmmaker daughter with her pro camera, outside with an interesting background. #hollywood

Comment

damn, i got through half of my statement and the timer went off... ugh!

ps; cut it down by half and still over, and i'm from the northeast, we talk fast... ugh!
                    Last edited by finalact4; 01-12-2019, 08:57 PM.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

ps; cut it down by half and still over, and i'm from the northeast, we talk fast... ugh!
                      My family is from Maryland and Pennsylvania (I was born in Southern California). So we probably don't talk as fast as North-easterners, but a whole lost faster than they do in Texas, where I live now.

When I first got here I kept wanting to finish their sentences for them. Now I'm just as slow talking as any of them.

I consider that a plus. By the time I get done saying "Hi all, y'all", I could just about have that 30 seconds covered.

Comment

anyone else entering?
                        I'm not entering.

In the future, if Imagine-Impact continues, I might enter when I finish the screenplay that I'm working on now, where I could use it as the "sample" script that they request.

Feature film writers, keep in mind, that the majority of the first group of creators selected had submitted TV pilots, so it's obvious that Imagine Entertainment's priority is finding material for their TV production side.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                          I'm not entering.

In the future, if Imagine-Impact continues, I might enter when I finish the screenplay that I'm working on now, where I could use it as the "sample" script that they request.

Feature film writers, keep in mind, that the majority of the first group of creators selected had submitted TV pilots, so it's obvious that Imagine Entertainment's priority is finding material for their TV production side.
                          i'm submitting a polished draft of a feature of which i also wrote a pilot. i thought it best to send that one in, but it falls in their ultra-high budget range ($60m+). that alone may disqualify me.

i am also including two other ideas (one a polished high budget action/thriller feature and another high concept rom/com WIP), the first one Sony TV considered for a TV series and the second my current WIP project which is a feature but also with the ability to create a TV series.

i didn't send that idea in alone because, even though it is a high concept rom/com, i do not want to write in that genre. i just couldn't walk away from the concept, it's too good, to me anyway (what do i know?).

i want to write in action/thriller genre's which are my best genres, so i'm leading with that.

i'm hopeful. i've got the video down to 35 seconds. it's not a lot of time.

it does look like they do work with writers that have a strong idea, but submit a sample that shows their ability to execute a fully realized story.

they're putting out a lot of money, so yeah, sure, i get that they are seeking material for themselves to potentially develop. i'm okay with that.

StoryWriter, i'm in north dallas, (was in CT) if you ever want to connect. not sure where you are.

good luck to one and all.

does anyone have an opinion about doing your video with a background, like inside a house? should it be a blank wall?
                          Last edited by finalact4; 01-14-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I'm a little confused about the the $40,000 stipend... from the FAQs is says:
                            Are Creators paid?

Yes. Each creative team will be paid weekly for living expenses (a total of $40,000) to make it possible for them to focus singularly on delivering their project in its most polished form.

it doesn't actually say "each writer" will get paid $40,000 total for the 8 weeks.

can anyone confirm that? did i miss something?

Comment

I'm a little confused about the the $40,000 stipend... from the FAQs is says:
                              Are Creators paid?

Yes. Each creative team will be paid weekly for living expenses (a total of $40,000) to make it possible for them to focus singularly on delivering their project in its most polished form.

it doesn't actually say "each writer" will get paid $40,000 total for the 8 weeks.

can anyone confirm that? did i miss something?
                              It's pretty clear. If you're a team, you get $40,000 (which you have to split). If you're solo, you get $40,000. It's SOP.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                                It's pretty clear. If you're a team, you get $40,000 (which you have to split). If you're solo, you get $40,000. It's SOP.
                                It may be "SOP", but it's not really all that clear. They use the term "Creative Team", which may or may not include the "Shaper" and the "Creator". I thought it meant the Shaper and the Creator shared $40,000. The writer got $20,000 and if you were a writing team, you divided that $20,000.

"During the 8-week program, 20 selected Creators will work with five Shapers." "Shaper and Creator pairs will meet twice weekly..." They don't use the word team, but it seems like the same idea.

If that's not what it means. It would have been much clearer to say something like:
                                "Each writer, or writing team will receive a stipend of $40,000."

Comment

Working...
                                X