No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black List Score Patterns

Originally posted by tinlizzie View Post
    This sounds like a case where you should contact support regarding the review - not because of the scores, but because of the poor quality. Grammar and spelling issues are certainly a no-no in a review of this sort and I'm under the impression that defective reviews such as this have been deleted - sometimes for as little as a misspelled main character name.

The BL seems to have been very responsive to justified complaints but of course, we are also glad to hear about people's issues so that we can make educated decisions ourselves.
    They don't always delete reviews, not that they should. I had a review come in a few weeks ago where the reviewer kept referring to the main character by a bizarrely wrong name that appeared nowhere in the script. A few other minor factual inconsistencies were also there. I contacted support and they just fixed them so I could publish the review.

Not that I wanted them to delete it or pressed them for it or anything, but I just wanted to point out that they don't always delete reviews for these reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLilley View Post
      They don't always delete reviews, not that they should. I had a review come in a few weeks ago where the reviewer kept referring to the main character by a bizarrely wrong name that appeared nowhere in the script. A few other minor factual inconsistencies were also there. I contacted support and they just fixed them so I could publish the review.

Not that I wanted them to delete it or pressed them for it or anything, but I just wanted to point out that they don't always delete reviews for these reasons.
      I'm sure it's a case by case basis. I do know of someone who got a review pulled because of a wrong name along with divergent scores. perhaps yours was just judged to be an odd bit of confusion. All I'm saying is that she ought to bring it to the attention of the people in BL support.

Comment

And that's fair. I just didn't want anyone to get their hopes up that "error in review = automatic deletion and free review," is all.

Comment

I appreciate the advice. I may contact them, if only to suggest that their reader needs to be a bit more careful with his or her reviews. I wouldn't ask them to pull the bad review. As I said, i can take it; that's what he felt the script deserved and that's the nature of this business. It's really subjective.

Comment

I had a bad review pulled. The reader classified my action/adventure/thriller as comedy/dark comedy and had the nerve to say it was a blaxploitation full of pulpy violence. Um, no. To his credit, Franklin did review the situation, pulled the review, and offered a free replacement. I have issues with some of these professional readers (and I'm officially done with the Blacklist), but at least Franklin/Terry side with the writer whenever possible.

On to Page! And the Nicholl!
            FADE IN:
            PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
            NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by celticbeauty View Post
              I appreciate the advice. I may contact them, if only to suggest that their reader needs to be a bit more careful with his or her reviews. I wouldn't ask them to pull the bad review. As I said, i can take it; that's what he felt the script deserved and that's the nature of this business. It's really subjective.
              I guess it's a matter of degree when it comes to the mistakes. I'm all for taking your lumps. My lower review (although they were close) actually had some errors in it, but despite that, I actually felt it was the more accurate review as far as script weaknesses.

That said, if the errors were significant and pervasive enough, then in my mind, they cast doubt on the validity and significance of the scores as well. There's a reason BL isn't just hiring people off the street (we hope JK) so if your review doesn't meet their standards then neither should the scores.

Not having seen the review or the script, I obviously can't actually make any judgement on that. You, however, can and should and that judgement should be what determines if your next step.

And no matter what, I would contact support about any more than trivial errors - even if you have no desire to dispute the scores. The next customer might not be so forgiving and I'm sure the BL would want the opportunity to head off a problem before it occurs.

Comment

Seems to me that BL reviews are all over the place. My first three, while not necessarily positive, were - I thought - carefully done and helpful. The last two were completely useless. The last one gives my script a logline which decribes a back story laid out in the first few pages but makes no mention of the actual story. I'm 100% certain that she/he never read the body of the script.

Comment

Originally posted by mlongton View Post
                  Seems to me that BL reviews are all over the place. My first three, while not necessarily positive, were - I thought - carefully done and helpful. The last two were completely useless. The last one gives my script a logline which decribes a back story laid out in the first few pages but makes no mention of the actual story. I'm 100% certain that she/he never read the body of the script.
                  I had similar issues with my 3 reviews. Only one actually mentioned the events of the plot. The other two had awful loglines written by what sounded like an 8th grader with no understanding of the script. One also mistook my story for taking place in the 23rd century when literally, in the opening quote, stated it was the 29th. But you know what, I never bothered to complain. I knew no matter what, the outcome wouldn't change.

That being said, the complaint rate is likely 2x3 times higher than listed because discouraged writers just don't bother. They blow it off as another dead-end, like 90% of contests.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Is that 5 reviews on the same script? If so, why would you want to pay for 5 reviews? If the first review is fine as you say, why not let the script do its thing?

Comment

Then you should most definitely email us about the two with which you weren't pleased. I can't emphasize enough that the only people more annoyed with a poor quality evaluation than you is us.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                        I had similar issues with my 3 reviews. Only one actually mentioned the events of the plot. The other two had awful loglines written by what sounded like an 8th grader with no understanding of the script. One also mistook my story for taking place in the 23rd century when literally, in the opening quote, stated it was the 29th. But you know what, I never bothered to complain. I knew no matter what, the outcome wouldn't change.

That being said, the complaint rate is likely 2x3 times higher than listed because discouraged writers just don't bother. They blow it off as another dead-end, like 90% of contests.
                        You made a mistake in not letting us know, and you still can and I would encourage you to do so. A simple, probably honest mistake like the century error here would be enough for us to grant you a replacement read.

As for the complaint rate being higher, it's obviously impossible to know. All we can do, I believe, is make sure that people know we want the feedback (and we certainly do make people aware of that.) We're not a contest, and we're certainly not a dead end in that regard.

Comment

The site doesn't have a very deep bench of readers.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                            We'll it's interesting because I've read your pages on DDP, and you can definitely write.
                            Thanks, Anagram. I've read your stuff and ditto.

Originally posted by weebleswobbles View Post
                            The site doesn't have a very deep bench of readers.
                            How do you know that?
                            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-12-2014, 04:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code.
                            "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                            - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                              How do you know that?
                              Seems that way to me based on my experience with the site. The quality of the reader rapidly diminished after the first couple reviews in a given genre. Perhaps others disagree. [shrug]
                              Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code. Please use preview button to check.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                                You made a mistake in not letting us know, and you still can and I would encourage you to do so. A simple, probably honest mistake like the century error here would be enough for us to grant you a replacement read.

As for the complaint rate being higher, it's obviously impossible to know. All we can do, I believe, is make sure that people know we want the feedback (and we certainly do make people aware of that.) We're not a contest, and we're certainly not a dead end in that regard.
                                Thanks for the offer, Franklin, but it's been over a year and my script's gone. I'm not saying the BL is a dead end. Just for me it was. And my plot was a bit convoluted so maybe I was to blame a bit as well. I may consider the BL again in the future. I'll be sure to be more vocal next time.

Thx for the reply, BTW.
                                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Working...
                                X