No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I waited over two months for THIS?

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
    Seriously, surf, I did apologize in as heartfelt a manner as I could muster. Whether or not she accepts it, I don't know.

And yes, I am good. ;-)
    General comment designed more for young lurkers than you. Glad you're good.

On that note [general]: I was working with [under?] Jason Blum on a tiny film. Couple years later he's on Paranormal. 30 million dollars later. People can blow up overnight.
    DOPE CITY

Comment

Originally posted by surftatboy View Post
      General comment designed more for young lurkers than you. Glad you're good.

On that note [general]: I was working with [under?] Jason Blum on a tiny film. Couple years later he's on Paranormal. 30 million dollars later. People can blow up overnight.

Of course. I'm definitely not a "young lurker."

Sounds like you have some interesting tales to tell.

Comment

Of course. I'm definitely not a "young lurker."

Sounds like you have some interesting tales to tell.
        I've led a strange life. I've had my highs and lows. I've been through the ringer more than once.
        DOPE CITY

Comment

I've led a strange life. I've had my highs and lows. I've been through the ringer more than once.
          Also you've also got a nice land rover and hot chick.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
            I suggest that Incognito is kept away from the guns.
            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
              With all the downsides to this industry there had better damn well be some upsides.
              DOPE CITY

Comment

Probably way too many posts and replies on this but this is a decent nugget of info I heard on a podcast recently. Carol Leifer was interviewed to be a writer on Seinfeld a number of years ago. She wasn't the best writer they interviewed and didn't have a lot of experience. But she got the job. She later asked Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David why they picked her. They simply said, "because we thought you'd be a good hang." So if you get a reputation (and I doubt you will from this one instance) as being a person who hangs up on people and has moments of doing irrational things you will not be considered "a good hang" and people won't want to work with you.

Comment

If you knew about just the past year I've had, you, as my paternal relatives used to say -- would plotz.

Makes us better writers, no?

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments on my descent into idiocy. Seriously, thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by CrissCross View Post
                    Probably way too many posts and replies on this but this is a decent nugget of info I heard on a podcast recently. Carol Leifer was interviewed to be a writer on Seinfeld a number of years ago. She wasn't the best writer they interviewed and didn't have a lot of experience. But she got the job. She later asked Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David why they picked her. They simply said, "because we thought you'd be a good hang." So if you get a reputation (and I doubt you will from this one instance) as being a person who hangs up on people and has moments of doing irrational things you will not be considered "a good hang" and people won't want to work with you.
                    There are lots of interviews with/about writers on the Seinfeld DVDs, great insights into how the producers worked with writers on the show. Similar to the quote above, I recall how Jerry Seinfeld mentioned that he hired Tom Gamill and Max Pross because they brought a lot of "good energy" to the show.

Seinfeld seems unique in both cultivating writers' original voices and contributions and integrating them into the show as a whole. Writers talk about how they were treated like producers when they wrote an episode, contributing to the editing, table reads, and so on. They were encouraged to cultivate stories from their own experience into episodes (leading to the Jon Voight car, Dream Cafe, soup nazi, etc.). Most of the writers had lived in New York, which is why I think the show has a distinct NYC style and resonance to the time and place even though visually it looks stylized (even artificial) and has no resemblance to "real" New York (except in second unit footage shot in the city). (The MAD magazine parody of Seinfeld nailed this brilliantly.)

Re the original post: I can understand the frustration since she was putting this off for a while, but in hindsight I would have talked to her a bit to coax out more information, suggestions, suss out where the agency was going, or gather anything that could be useful to know in going from here.

Comment

Originally posted by castilleja32 View Post
                      There are lots of interviews with/about writers on the Seinfeld DVDs, great insights into how the producers worked with writers on the show. Similar to the quote above, I recall how Jerry Seinfeld mentioned that he hired Tom Gamill and Max Pross because they brought a lot of "good energy" to the show.

Seinfeld seems unique in both cultivating writers' original voices and contributions and integrating them into the show as a whole. Writers talk about how they were treated like producers when they wrote an episode, contributing to the editing, table reads, and so on. They were encouraged to cultivate stories from their own experience into episodes (leading to the Jon Voight car, Dream Cafe, soup nazi, etc.). Most of the writers had lived in New York, which is why I think the show has a distinct NYC style and resonance to the time and place even though visually it looks stylized (even artificial) and has no resemblance to "real" New York (except in second unit footage shot in the city). (The MAD magazine parody of Seinfeld nailed this brilliantly.)

Re the original post: I can understand the frustration since she was putting this off for a while, but in hindsight I would have talked to her a bit to coax out more information, suggestions, suss out where the agency was going, or gather anything that could be useful to know in going from here.
                      Lots of showrunners and TV writing people talk about this on their shows. When you have to sit in a room together for 10+ hours a day, your personality starts to matter at least as much as (if not more than) your actual writing ability. Most showrunners would rather rewrite someone they like than have to spend their time with a genius who makes everyone miserable. I imagine there's a little more tolerance for difficult personalities in features since it's easier to make a person work on their own (and you can cut them loose when you're done with them), but even then it's not going to help you.

TV writing in the US also incorporates a ton of producing - as you gain experience you become more and more of a writer-producer. That's part of why it's such a different world from most feature writing.

Comment

If you knew about just the past year I've had, you, as my paternal relatives used to say -- would plotz.

Makes us better writers, no?
                        You would think/hope.

A writer pal of mine: I once asked him "what's the worst thing to ever happen to you?" He sat lost in his thoughts for - longer than necessary - then met me with "I've lived a very sheltered life." He grew up the son of a famous industry person. He does alright for himself. Sold a few things. He and I write from a completely different mindset. His take is pure fantasy, my take always reveals a bit of the real life hell I've been through. I tend to prefer the latter. It's the difference between prediction and extrapolation.

However, I suppose it's akin to skipping a rock across a pond vs a raging storm accomplishing the same deed. So long as the rock reaches the shoreline we may not care how hard fought it was to get it there.

But... but I do ultimately believe that the most profound writers among us have lived a fascinating life away from the page.
                        DOPE CITY

Comment

Never Wait.

Comment

You would think/hope.

A writer pal of mine: I once asked him "what's the worst thing to ever happen to you?" He sat lost in his thoughts for - longer than necessary - then met me with "I've lived a very sheltered life." He grew up the son of a famous industry person. He does alright for himself. Sold a few things. He and I write from a completely different mindset. His take is pure fantasy, my take always reveals a bit of the real life hell I've been through. I tend to prefer the latter. It's the difference between prediction and extrapolation.
                            I prefer the latter, as well. It's what drives me.

On a positive note: Everyone -- I apologized to my former manager and got a very nice email in return. I simply told the truth: That I was upset because I thought she believed in me, but that said, I realize she did the best she could.

So thanks for knocking a little sense into me.

Comment

I prefer the latter, as well. It's what drives me.

On a positive note: Everyone -- I apologized to my former manager and got a very nice email in return. I simply told the truth: That I was upset because I thought she believed in me, but that said, I realize she did the best she could.

So thanks for knocking a little sense into me.
                              Good to hear you rebuilt the bridge. You catch more flies with honey.
                              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
                                Good to hear you rebuilt the bridge. You catch more flies with honey.
                                We have in fact, had a couple of really nice exchanges, since. She very generously offered to be a "resource" for me, answer questions, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X