Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great advice kills the mood

Thanks all for the feedback. Good to know I'm not alone.

Originally posted by Joaneasley
    What's happening to you is a normal stage a lot of us go through in our development as writers. At first, ignorance is bliss. I wrote my first screenplay with no realization that there were a million technical aspects to the craft I'd never heard of. Once I became aware of that, I went through a compulsive information-collecting phase. I bought every book, took every class, read every thread I hoped might hold the key. But at a certain point, it gels. Bits of what you've learned from a whole bunch of sources become a part of you. You don't need to go back to every post about dialog to make sure you're on the right track before you dare to write a line anymore, just as you no longer need to think about what your hands and feet are doing while you're driving. You'll know for yourself. You'll get your confidence back, but this time it will be a more informed confidence, improved by what you've read and what you've written.
    Great advice. I will take it to heart.
    The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense - Tom Clancy

Comment

i really, really really like the fact that i have put the years in learning, and relearning and applying that i can actually say that joan's post is a truism. . . it becomes part of you, like an arm or leg.

i use to wonder how in the world i could ever write a screenplay well in three months, but just like sports, you get better at it and then you start to realize that you are still getting better and better and it's coming so much easier.

they say time slows down when you are doing something amazing in sports, or something happens in life that is imminient, you see beyond your peripherial vision, you see exactly the line of the ball, where it has to go, or how the car that is coming toward you will slow down, seemingly suspended in time --

i know this because it happened to me on a few occasions while i was a ball player, it was surreal, and the great thing about that is it happens 'alot' when i write, and it has really started happening in the last year or so.

writing is about aptittude and work ethic and experimenting and when you put 'years' of your life into something, there is that point that you either know you have a shot or you don't and some of my bench marks are starting to be approached.

when you know you can hammer out a scene in an hour and it sticks thats when you're writing.

all this stuff i'm saying i learned from guys like tao, and lowell and ce, oe, tony, crash, refried, sc11, dozens of others who weighed in on there experiences, and it is comforting to know, while all of us may have a different approach, many, many of the same things are happening to 'us writers', as we pass one benchmark after another and it's great to take a point of reference from this site and be able to say 'that lighthouse moment', happen to 'so-and-sO- and it just happend to me. that same feeling.

like the popcorn peter brady dropped enabling greg to find him in the cave with vincent price.
      Last edited by THEUGLYDUCKLING; 07-09-2010, 12:22 PM.
      You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

You should read The War of Art by Pressfield. The best book to read if you're struggling with procrastination.

Comment

now that i think about it... "Great advice kills the mood" sounds like a bedroom problem that some men may encounter.

Comment

life happens
            despite a few cracked pots-
            and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess
              now that i think about it... "Great advice kills the mood" sounds like a bedroom problem that some men may encounter.
              Depends if it was solicited.
              The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense - Tom Clancy

Comment

Working...
              X