Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about TrackingB contest...

TrackingB seems to be a pretty popular contest on the board and its early deadline is coming up on the 28th.

I currently have a finished "foreign" drama, meaning a story that takes place in a non-English speaking country with a fully "foreign" cast of characters (think Evita or Love in the Time of Cholera).

Seeing as this is hardly commercial fare and an even tougher sell, should I bother applying at all or should I stick this time around to the labs and the Nicholl and apply when I have something more marketable?

I'm particularly concerned about the step where scripts are judged based on concept/summary alone...

Thoughts?

Re: Question about TrackingB contest...

You never try you'll never know. Besides i'm sure you've spent $75 on worse things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkal View Post
      TrackingB seems to be a pretty popular contest on the board and its early deadline is coming up on the 28th.

I currently have a finished "foreign" drama, meaning a story that takes place in a non-English speaking country with a fully "foreign" cast of characters (think Evita or Love in the Time of Cholera).

Seeing as this is hardly commercial fare and an even tougher sell, should I bother applying at all or should I stick this time around to the labs and the Nicholl and apply when I have something more marketable?

I'm particularly concerned about the step where scripts are judged based on concept/summary alone...

Thoughts?
      TrackingB posts the loglines of all past contest winners on the site. Not saying that the kind of movie you described couldn't place or win, but my impression from what's connected most with the judges in the past is that the contest tends toward more high concept, mainstream concepts

Comment

Originally posted by xplace View Post
        You never try you'll never know. Besides i'm sure you've spent $75 on worse things.
        But $75 is outrageous for merely ENTERING into a competition, without any notes or even a single prize. Let alone the $100+ fee past the early deadline.

Comment

If you believe in your story enter it. Every year Tracking B (in my opinion) mostly picks more commercial concepts -- but two or so are usually out of left field more indie sounding ideas.

Trust me when I say the person who runs the contest wouldn't blacklist a great screenplay just because it's in a foreign country / foreign cast. They look for compelling stories.
          Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            TrackingB posts the loglines of all past contest winners on the site. Not saying that the kind of movie you described couldn't place or win, but my impression from what's connected most with the judges in the past is that the contest tends toward more high concept, mainstream concepts
            I did not know that. Thanks, I'll look them up.

Originally posted by CameronAlexander View Post
            If you believe in your story enter it. Every year Tracking B (in my opinion) mostly picks more commercial concepts -- but two or so are usually out of left field more indie sounding ideas.

Trust me when I say the person who runs the contest wouldn't blacklist a great screenplay just because it's in a foreign country / foreign cast. They look for compelling stories.
            Cool. I think I'll do it. Worse comes to worse, I'm out $75 and I'm back next year with something more commercial.

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
            But $75 is outrageous for merely ENTERING into a competition, without any notes or even a single prize. Let alone the $100+ fee past the early deadline.
            It is pretty expensive which is why I'm balking at entering if my chances are really low. I did enter the Nicholl, Austin, and PAGE where I'm currently a QF, though, so that gives me some hope considering they also judge "commercial potential"...

Originally posted by xplace View Post
            I'm pretty frugal, but I'm sure I have >.<

Comment

While you're checking out the loglines on their website, please make sure you check out their reading policies too, and post them here so we can know them as well.
              Last edited by JoeGillis; 07-26-2013, 06:57 PM.
              . "Audiences don't know somebody sits down and writes a picture. They think the actors make it up as they go along.-
              Joe Gillis, Sunset Boulevard, 1950

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGillis View Post
                While your checking out the loglines on their website, please make sure you check out their reading policies too, and post them here so we can know them as well.
                All I found on that is:

TIMELINE & PROCESS:
                All entered scripts will be read by trackingb staff who will select their top choices. Then, The Insider will consult with the industry panel to get their thoughts (based on concept/summary alone) on the top selections, and take their opinions into account in the final decisions. In mid-January, 2014, five honorable mentions and three finalists will be announced (note: honorable mentions cannot be finalists), and soon after an Overall Winner will be chosen by our judging panel from the three finalist scripts. The New Wave Prize Winner will also be announced in mid-January, 2014.
                Bolded part is what makes me iffy as it seems commercial potential is incredibly important in this contest.

Comment

Annnnnnnnnnnd we're off...

We may as well get it started now.

Comment

How big is their staff? I can imagine pretty big to read a couple thousand screenplays?
                    . "Audiences don't know somebody sits down and writes a picture. They think the actors make it up as they go along.-
                    Joe Gillis, Sunset Boulevard, 1950

Comment

Not this again.

We've been over this. If you want full transparency in your contest and you don't like being kept in the dark about the selection process, don't enter TrackingB. If you think you have an amazing script and you're willing to risk $75 on the chance that you could get the prize TrackingB is offering, which is a legitimate prize that is delivered as promised, enter TrackingB.

And there you go. Decision made. No need to keep harping on it for all eternity.
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                        Not this again.

We've been over this. If you want full transparency in your contest and you don't like being kept in the dark about the selection process, don't enter TrackingB. If you think you have an amazing script and you're willing to risk $75 on the chance that you could get the prize TrackingB is offering, which is a legitimate prize that is delivered as promised, enter TrackingB.

And there you go. Decision made. No need to keep harping on it for all eternity.
                        None of this really applies to my question, unless you were really answering JoeGillis.

All I wanted to know was, is it exclusively a contest for commercial scripts or does indie fare have a chance. From the answers, it seems it does so I might just be applying.

Haven't been around in a while so I wasn't aware this was such a touchy subject...

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkal View Post
                          None of this really applies to my question, unless you were really answering JoeGillis.

All I wanted to know was, is it exclusively a contest for commercial scripts or does indie fare have a chance. From the answers, it seems it does so I might just be applying.

Haven't been around in a while so I wasn't aware this was such a touchy subject...
                          I was responding to Joe. There are some who dislike TrackingB because the Insider, who runs the contest, does not give details about how the winners are chosen. It's been hashed to death.

As for your question, it's tough to say. TrackingB does lean toward more commercial fare, but there have been some non-commercial projects to make the finals or honorable mention in the past. In the end, don't enter unless you know your script is solid and have $75 to lose.

There is no guarantee in the contest business. Every entry is a risk.
                          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                            I was responding to Joe. There are some who dislike TrackingB because the Insider, who runs the contest, does not give details about how the winners are chosen. It's been hashed to death.

As for your question, it's tough to say. TrackingB does lean toward more commercial fare, but there have been some non-commercial projects to make the finals or honorable mention in the past. In the end, don't enter unless you know your script is solid and have $75 to lose.

There is no guarantee in the contest business. Every entry is a risk.
                            Absolutely true. Thanks for the response. I think I'll give it a go

Comment

Good luck Jakkal!
                              Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Working...
                              X