Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walk In Queries

I'm planning a temporary move to LA, probably boarding a plane on the 21st, and I'd really like to have all my ducks in a row before I get out there.

I plan on doing some walk in queries, if that makes sense, while I'm out there. Honestly, it's the only reason I'm going. I'm comfortable and confident with face to face interaction and feel like this is my best course of action to "be found" by an agent or talent manager.

A couple of questions....

1.) Do any of you have any experiences with this route? Successful or not, I'd like to hear your stories.

2.) Is this inappropriate?

3.) What are the "must hit" agencies/managers while I'm out there using this method?

4.) Any suggestions on how to approach this? Materials I should have on hand, things I should say, suggestions on wardrobe... any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Walk In Queries

good luck getting into the building(s)

i guess never say never but i don't think most agencies or management companies view walk-ins too highly

Comment

Wasn't it last year that someone left a script in a briefcase at one of the agencies and the bomb squad ended up coming and blowing it up?

Comment

Wouldn't do this. Not a good move, certainly not the sign of a professional. People will view you as a little crazy. Not saying you are, just how it will look. And - you won't get past the front desk, who will in all likelihood throw anything you hand them in the trash.

How temporary is your visit?

Once you get a job out here, you will invariably meet someone who have a connection or two and can recommend your work.

Comment

I should have added, I'm not necessarily planning to meet top dogs in the industry using this method.

The way I understand it, and I could be completely wrong.... most of the people I would actually interact with, such as those pups working the front desk, are aspiring agents/managers themselves.

I have a strong background in sales and I'm quite personable. My hopes are to connect with someone this route who could, in turn, perhaps read my work and open the door to a possible referral, whether it be with an agent/manager in their respective office, or possibly someone else in the industry.

How temporary is my visit? Well, if all goes well, I'd like to make it a permanent move. I have the funds to get into a hotel for a month. Plan is to find some jobs waiting tables, etc. and try to rough it out until I achieve my goal of working in house as a writer and/or selling one of my two commercially viable scripts in the process.

Comment

Don't.

Do.

This.

This would show such a fundamental lack of understanding for how the business works that you will probably end up on lists with security. Seriously, you are completely wrong. Don't do it.

Originally posted by realphipps View Post
            I should have added, I'm not necessarily planning to meet top dogs in the industry using this method.

The way I understand it, and I could be completely wrong.... most of the people I would actually interact with, such as those pups working the front desk, are aspiring agents/managers themselves.

I have a strong background in sales and I'm quite personable. My hopes are to connect with someone this route who could, in turn, perhaps read my work and open the door to a possible referral, whether it be with an agent/manager in their respective office, or possibly someone else in the industry.

How temporary is my visit? Well, if all goes well, I'd like to make it a permanent move. I have the funds to get into a hotel for a month. Plan is to find some jobs waiting tables, etc. and try to rough it out until I achieve my goal of working in house as a writer and/or selling one of my two commercially viable scripts in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by realphipps View Post
              And if someone told you it usually takes about 5 to 10 years to establish the foundation of a writing career in L.A. (if the writer ever does at all)?

Comment

You may not get past security.

Better plan: all of the places you have queried who were interested: e mail them and try to set up a meeting. Tell them you're here for a week or whatever, then cram in as many meetings as you can.

Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Appreciate the advice and feedback.

Currently rethinking my plan!

Comment

Yeah definitely don't do that, it will freak people out and scream newbie creep.

Most people in the front are just receptionists and not the assistant to any specific person. Most places are in buildings that have security on the first floor that ask where you are going, to meet who, and sometimes ask for an ID (although rare).

People have schedules for a reason and don't have wiggle room for a walk in and assistants are swamped with calls and emails and probably don't have time for much chit chat.

As some have said, email query some places and if you get interest ask to set up a meeting during that time.
                    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I would like to dissuade you from your one-month-move-to-LA-plan, and offer you two alternative plans.

Plan 1: Stay where you are. Save your money. Concentrate on writing an awesome script. Win some competitions while blasting out a successful query-campaign. Once you get some bites, use your saved money to rent a hotel for a week or two and fill those weeks with all the legitimately-procured meetings that your hard work has achieved.

Plan 2: Move to LA with the intention of staying. Concentrate on writing an awesome script. Get a job as a PA. Be good at your job. Make actual friends, some of whom may be able to open a door for you, but if they can't, it doesn't matter because you enjoy them for their company. Win some competitions while blasting out a successful query-campaign. Work hard and inch your way closer to a career.

Comment

I agree with what others have said.

Personally I think the best time to make your temporary visit to LA is when you've secured a rep or solid contact and you have material that is ready to be shown around town. This will be the critical time to be in LA for your temporary visit as you'll be getting a bunch of meetings that could potentially lead to paid work.

But if you're planning on making your temp visit to be more long term by slumming it, then IMO move asap. Maybe get a job in the biz as an assistant of some sort. Biz exposure will be a valuable learning experience.

Comment

As someone who's worked as an intern at several production companies, and is currently a freelance employee of several production companies, as well as an aspiring writer with industry contacts on the verge of breaking in, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS... It won't help you.

If you really want to pitch in person pay to go to a legit pitch fest. Talk to people at coffee shops, go to gyms and talk to people, you never know who you'll meet, etc... But walking into offices is A VERY VERY bad idea.

I also recommend Virtual Pitch Fest and The Black List. Also UCLA extension has good classes... WGA events, etc.

Comment

Also a month in LA is not much time. Sometimes it takes someone a month just to read a script. Some people have been out here for years and are just now gaining traction.
                            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

I'm going to echo the rest and say don't come right now.

Use resources like the Black List to gauge your writing and where you really are, talent wise. All Los Angeles will do is take a lot of your money. You need to make contacts BEFORE you get here. You have Done Deal and Twitter at your disposal. Use them, make contacts and friends BEFORE coming. Plan a trip when you know your material is ready and you have at least four or five people to meet with in person (not necessarily execs but fellow writers who are near or at your same level).
                              writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                              twitter.com/susanlbridges
                              pendantaudio.com

Comment

Working...
                              X