No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing new series to watch

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for suggestions of tv series to watch as I just finished one and want to start another.

It needs to be currently on Netflix because I don't have cable.

Here is what I have seen already over the years.

Blue bloods
    Roswell
    House of cards
    Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Luke Cage, the Defenders
    Stranger things
    Sherlock (cumberbatch)
    Breaking Bad, Better call saul
    Walking Dead
    Broadchurch
    How to get away with murder
    Disjointed

Just looking for something well written with good acting. Genre doesn't matter cuz I love everything. Any suggestions?

Re: Need help choosing new series to watch

Mad Men. Twin Peaks.

Comment

Enjoyed the first two series of the last kingdom (based on Bernard Cornwall novels)

and loved Banshee (though it'd be a brave man that described this as either well written or acted here)
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure if it is on American Netflix but Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is worth watching.

Bojack Horseman gets better each season.

Rick and Morty should be studied by any writer.

Black Mirror. You won't find many better episodes of television than San Junipero.

Luther for me is better than Sherlock.

People vs OJ Simpson manages to be riveting even though you know how it ends.

It's Always Sunny is probably my favourite show ever now. My favourite American one at least.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
          Mad Men. Twin Peaks.
          I've seen Twin peaks.

I have heard great things about Mad men, but for some reason I have shied away from watching it. I don't know why, maybe it's the subject matter-"advertising agency in the 60's" doesn't really grab me. But I may give it a try, because surely there's more to it than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
            Enjoyed the first two series of the last kingdom (based on Bernard Cornwall novels)

and loved Banshee (though it'd be a brave man that described this as either well written or acted here)

I haven't ever heard of these, so I will read up on them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
              I'm not sure if it is on American Netflix but Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is worth watching.

Bojack Horseman gets better each season.

Rick and Morty should be studied by any writer.

Black Mirror. You won't find many better episodes of television than San Junipero.

Luther for me is better than Sherlock.

People vs OJ Simpson manages to be riveting even though you know how it ends.

It's Always Sunny is probably my favourite show ever now. My favourite American one at least.
              I saw the first episode of Dirk gently, thought it was pretty good. I may revisit it.

Not seen bojack or rick and morty. I don't know, I think it's the way they are drawn that throws me. Kinda creepy looking, especially rick and morty...it's the eyes.

Love Black mirror and I agree San junipero is phenomenal.

Never heard of Luther, I will look into that to see what it is.

Peeps v oj was good. I thought Cuba was great in it as well as sara paulson especially considering she was doing both this and ahs at the same time.

I have so tried with it's always sunny, but I just can't. sorry.

Comment

I just started on Ozark, and am liking it a lot.

Comment

i'd also recommend MAD MEN.

Comment

I love MAD MEN but it's sometimes hard to rec' to other people. One of my favorite all time shows and yet if I tell people to watch it their reaction is maybe 50/50 at best. Some like it while others don't. I can tell you that I very much enjoyed the first maybe 3 seasons and then my love for the show was sporadic meaning some episodes were to my liking while others were not. I think the 5th & 6th season weren't very good as a whole. Don Draper was a complicated character and I liked the character and it was a well thought out show, but that said some plots veered in odd directions. During the first run, I watched the show mainly for Don... Recently I watched it again and found support characters like Roger to be more interesting.

I had the same issue with THE SOPRANOS in that I thought the first 2 seasons were masterful then it went downhill with some upticks here and there. But that's me.

I like OZARKS but I wouldn't get Netflix for it if you didn't have it already It's not that good. The best show for me in 2017 was LEGION on FX which should be in your wheelhouse but I don't know where you can stream it. I liked MASTER OF NONE a lot. There's so many shows out there and even if they're good I forget them within a week. Too many solid 8 episode or 10 episode shows that I binge and couldn't tell you one thing about them later on. Crazy.

Just to add on the subject of LUTHER series. For me I very much liked the character of Luther and found Idris Elba extremely interesting. The guy is charismatic. However, the show itself was annoying at times and reaching (in my opinion). Every season Luther skirted either turning bad or no one believed him in his agency and yet time and time again he was right. But I'm the guy who used to rant everytime Scully on THE X-FILES would roll her eyes at her partner when he said "maybe it's a vampire" or "I think it's an alien." Every episode she scoffed at his opinion and he not only was always right but only after like 6 seasons of seeing something unnatural or unexplainable every episode did she start to come around.

Comment

Originally posted by muckraker View Post
                      I just started on Ozark, and am liking it a lot.
                      I have Ozark in my "to watch" list for when I get in the mood for that subject matter. It seems like it would be heavy, but I haven't researched it enough to know for sure. I've only read the netflix description sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
                        The best show for me in 2017 was LEGION on FX which should be in your wheelhouse but I don't know where you can stream it.

I absolutely love Legion!! I watched it on Hulu. It was so well done. I also really like Dan Stevens who plays the main character. I've liked him ever since he was on Downton Abbey (which is another great series).

Legion is so different, that's what I love about it. looking forward to season 2.

Comment

don't know what you're looking for and if these are available-
                          -the andy griffith show
                          -star trek (original series...the greatest!)
                          -the twilight zone

Comment

River - BBC thriller mini series on Netflix.

Comment

Hm...
                              If it's there, Galavant, the fanatsy musical show, was kind of cute.
                              The Last Kingdom and Poldark if you like historical and period TV.
                              I love Wing Commander, Mark Hamill is awesome. That is all.

Comment

Working...
                              X