Is it realistic to get a free feature screenplay?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it realistic to get a free feature screenplay?

I've spent a few years refining my craft, writing shorts, etc but it takes me a while and a lot of rewriting to get something I'm really happy with.

I've got a lot of free time right now though, and I'd love to make a feature!
    Trouble is it would take me a long time to write one and I might not have as much free time to produce once I'm finished.

If I could get ahold of a feature script with a limited location and cast, like 10 cloverfield lane I could capitalize on my free time. Trouble is I have more time than money and I'm just a nobody. Not a total nobody but you wouldn't know my name and I don't know any distributors. Plus writing is hard work, so why should anyone give me their script?

So what do you guys think is there a good place to look for scripts?
    Or does anyone here have something available...

Maybe it's totally unrealistic but it's easy enough for me to come on here and ask. I have experience will all aspects of film making from pre to post production.
    Three minute crime thriller I wrote/directed:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo5Yl9kyn8k

Re: Is it realistic to get a free feature screenplay?

You might be able to get a friend or other close contact to collaborate with you on a movie, most likely in exchange for things like shared credits and profits (if any). Or maybe you can hit up some film/writing students who want help with projects for credit. But there's not like some database of abandoned screenplays out there - people hold onto them in case they become viable down the line, especially if it's a cheap indie-friendly script of the kind you're looking for.

It sounds like a feature is about as hard for you to write as it is for anybody (almost nobody comes up with a good script without lots and lots of rewrites), so there's really no incentive for someone to give you one for free. Especially a stranger.

Comment

A writing student looking for credit is probably my best bet.
      It's helped my writing a lot being able to see it on screen.

Not sure where I would find a writing student though, if not a forum like this.

Comment

Originally posted by sfoster View Post
        A writing student looking for credit is probably my best bet.
        It's helped my writing a lot being able to see it on screen.

Not sure where I would find a writing student though, if not a forum like this.
        Maybe a Chapman University student?

Comment

You could try contacting a local university's film department. I'll warn you that students are usually more interested in working with other students than strangers (unless those strangers are pros), since it's just a more natural fit for someone in a directing class to hook up with someone in a writing class and both get credit for stuff. Plus other film students usually have free access cameras and equipment. Do you have access to any of that stuff that you can offer, at least?

You can also see if there are any film-related Meetup.com or Facebook groups in your area. You might not get a feature that way but you could get involved with other people's projects in another capacity.

Edit: Have you ever directed a film project before? You'd probably be better off starting with a short. Less time for you to write one, and still a beast to actually pull off so lots of use for your copious free time.

Comment

I live in maryland so it's not like I can stop by the chapman university and post a bulletin. Local university perhaps.

Facebook group isn't a bad idea - doesn't necessarily have to be local.
            I can take a script and produce it. Lights, camera and sound are all covered.

Although this is the only example of my work on youtube right now, it was a while back before I auditioned people and worked with real actors.

Check out the first 10 seconds, it's a great hook.
            Last edited by sfoster; 03-25-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProduceMyScript is a subreddit that focuses on people wanting their work produced.

Comment

Thanks saunders, I'll check that out!

And just for a sanity check - Saying 'deferred payment' is the same thing as free right? People know these things almost never make money so who is fooled?

Maybe it's just a principle thing. But I don't want to deceive anyone so I'm using the word free.
                Last edited by sfoster; 03-25-2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I would not say its unrealistic, I would say it depends on what you are offering in return...

It may not be money since you say you have none, but if you have a reel with some great work, and a writer feels like you could bring their story to life and make it look good, someone may bite just to see their work realized. As a new writer, it is exciting to see how your script would play out on a screen.

That said, most writers work really hard on what they do, and there is no real incentive to give a script away for free if there is no upside... And if your work is amateurish on the production side, then that would make it harder for someone to part with a screenplay period. I want to see my work made, but not made badly.

What are your plans with the movie once you make it? IS it for festivals? For YouTube? Are you shopping it? If you are shopping it are you profit sharing with the writer? All of these things could incite, or turn off someone depending on the answers.

The bottom line is, what is the upside for the writer?
                  "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
                  SUBTITLED
                  Episode 1 (Beef pills)
                  Episode 2 (African commercial)
                  Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Maybe it's totally unrealistic but it's easy enough for me to come on here and ask. I have experience will all aspects of film making from pre to post production.
                    It's one of those things. If you can make a compelling argument that you can make a kick-ass film, you may find somebody willing to work for deferred payment. Probably not people whose work is close to being at a pro level, but who knows, maybe you'd get lucky.

But since even cheap films cost money, asking for "free" is challenging. If you're going to pay your boom operator and your key grip, it's kind of hard to argue that the writer should work for free, isn't it? This is why some sort of token payment means a lot. e.g., if you're planning a 15-day shoot and you're paying your below the line crew $100 a day, to not be able to find $1500 to pay the writer seems disingenuous.

If, on the other hand, you're relying entirely on volunteer crew, it's harder to believe that you'll be able to deliver a polished enough product for it actually be worth the writer to let you film is script.

But yeah, you need a kick-ass reel. You need a short that shows that you can deliver a great film. Because if somebody's not going to get paid what they're worth, you better be offering something beyond, "I really want it and I don't want to write it myself."

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                      But since even cheap films cost money, asking for "free" is challenging. If you're going to pay your boom operator and your key grip, it's kind of hard to argue that the writer should work for free, isn't it?

If, on the other hand, you're relying entirely on volunteer crew, it's harder to believe that you'll be able to deliver a polished enough product for it actually be worth the writer to let you film is script.
                      Feel free to laugh but a lot of times I boom while directing or if possible I'll put the microphone on to a stand. People are interested in holding a camera but nobody wants to hold the microphone so that is just how it's worked out for me in the past.

In the short I posted earlier I did the lighting, audio and shotlist for production.

After thinking on this a while it seems the easier a script is to produce the more likely a writer would try to produce it themselves. Granted there is an upfront investment in equipment (particularly audio) and editing is hard work.

Perhaps I will put together a reel instead of a single short film as a demonstration.
                      Last edited by sfoster; 03-31-2016, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Feel free to laugh but a lot of times I boom while directing or if possible I'll put the microphone on to a stand. People are interested in holding a camera but nobody wants to hold the microphone so that is just how it's worked out for me in the past.
                        I'm sure you have. Lots of people have done lots of things to make shorts work.

But honestly, I'd be very skeptical about the abilities of a director who couldn't get even a 3-man crew. Directing is exhausting work when you're not holding a boom. It's one thing to be your own boom op for a day (although, you know, it doesn't exactly put you in a great position to make great directing choices) it's another to do it for 2-3 weeks.

So my larger point stands: If you're saying you're going to be your own boom op, most writers would realistically say, "I doubt you're going to produce something worthwhile, I'll pass."

Comment

A 3-man crew.. that sounds like some sort of fever dream to me.
                          People don't help unless you pay them or there's something in it for them.

I've turned my thoughts to writing a feature on my own now. I'm okay with doing everything by myself, that's what it takes.
                          Half of my friends on facebook wouldn't even spend 3 minutes to watch my short film.

I don't think anyone else here has either. So hard to get people to watch something it's laughable to think they will hold a microphone above their head for me.

Comment

A 3-man crew.. that sounds like some sort of fever dream to me.
                            People don't help unless you pay them or there's something in it for them.

I've turned my thoughts to writing a feature on my own now. I'm okay with doing everything by myself, that's what it takes.
                            Half of my friends on facebook wouldn't even spend 3 minutes to watch my short film.

I don't think anyone else here has either. So hard to get people to watch something it's laughable to think they will hold a microphone above their head for me.
                            I disagree man, that pilot I filmed (see my signature) had me as director, but I also had a DP, sound man, and full cast with no pay since I can't afford anything right now.

As a matter of fact, not only did I not have to pay anyone, but one of the actors (the guy that plays my roommate on the pilot) actually OFFERED to, and bought food for the whole cast ALL 4 days of shooting. It was very much a collaborative effort because they all believed in the project.

If you already have other work that you have done, and it is GOOD work, people will want to work with you because they see what you can do. If the project has great potential, if you have a plan, there are people that will want to be involved with it.

Now... Getting people in the Industry to SEE said project, is a different story... That has been just as hard for me, as getting people to read the pilot.

But so what? If I can't sell it, I'll post it on youtube and if it's successful there, perhaps I can use those numbers, or that interest as a pitching point in the future. The point is, you can do it, if you have a great project and a plan and are able to convince people that YOU can bring this to life in a way that will be positive for everyone.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I click on just about every link people here have on their signature, and I'm sure others here do too... Why not link your videos o your signature if you want it to be seen?
                            "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
                            SUBTITLED
                            Episode 1 (Beef pills)
                            Episode 2 (African commercial)
                            Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by Mpimentel View Post
                              I disagree man, that pilot I filmed (see my signature) had me as director, but I also had a DP, sound man, and full cast with no pay since I can't afford anything right now.
                              Alright I added it to my signature, but youtube views aren't a big deal.
                              Maybe you're more charismatic than me or maybe I don't realize I'm a piece of **** or something? Where did you get a free sound guy? lol.

I gained 80lbs for my most recent role and couldn't even get my brother to show up for 30 minutes as an extra. I am very committed and live and dream film but I get no respect.

A had a friend pitch in once by holding the boom pole. Half the time he didn't even noticed there was zero sound going to his headphones. The other half of the time I can hear his hands moving around on the pole. I had to redo all those scenes, and he was lazy about holding the pole up high.

Comment

Working...
                              X