Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specs Going Wide - The 411

For the newbies of the site, I thought I’d write a little about what is referred to as “going wide” and just what it all means.

When a rep gets excited about your work, either an agent or manager (or both working as a team) will move onto the stage of “going wide”.

This involves drafting up a list of anywhere between 10 to 30+ production companies that have a sweet tooth for your given genre of spec. Often, if not always, these companies have deals with a big studio, who often end up footing the bill if your script is purchased.

It’s important to know that although rarely a production company can buy your script with their discretionary funds (their own money), it’s often in their interest to get the studio to buy it instead because they need someone to bank roll this venture - as movies obviously cost a lot of money to make. Besides, there are two other very good reasons why they take them into the studio first...

a) The production company can have an “exclusive deal” with a studio, which basically means Production Company A *only* looks for material for that said Studio A, and nobody else. While there are obvious advantages of this style of deal for the company, it can be frustrating for a writer’s script to go into this channel. Why? Because if the studio passes, Production Company A cannot do anything else with your spec. Their hands are tied. And your chances of selling the spec just RIP’d through that channel.

b) The other, and more popular style of deal, is called a “first look deal”, which basically means that Production Company B takes the script to their Studio B, who they have that deal with, and it’s here the studio can either buy it, or pass on it, and if they pass on it, then it opens up a new set or rules (which makes this option more interesting) because then Company B are open to take said script to other studios to see if they are interested in buying it as well. This can often turn into a run around town looking for potential buyers.

In some instances, if you’re lucky to have two or more companies that have deals with the same studio, then your reps decide who is the best fit for the material (based on passion/background/contacts) and they assign that one company that territory (studio) and the other company(s) has to wait it out.

For people interested in seeing just what companies have what studios deals, Variety has an interesting link dated 2008 which lists all of the deals of last year. So have a look and you’ll see how the town is divided up into territories through studios.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...factspacts2008

Also, just to compare and see how often companies lose or gain their deals, here is another one dated 2005.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...nter&dept=Film

And here's the 2009 edition:

http://www.variety.com/graphics/factsonpacts.pdf

And here's the 2010 edition:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...JQ&output=html

And here's the 2011 edition:

http://images1.variety.com/graphics/...pacts-2011.pdf

And here's the 2012 edition (Printed in April):

http://images1.variety.com/graphics/...sapril2012.pdf

And 2012 October Edition:

http://www.variety.com/graphics/phot...ctober2012.pdf

2013 Edition:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5m2...ZOMnk1LWM/edit

2015 Edition Updated - PDF download here:
    https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.c...-pacts.…

It’s also worth mentioning other avenues of a sale that isn’t through a studio. It’s called going to “buyers”. Buyers are like smaller studios that basically can bankroll their own features, they don’t need the nod from a studio to go forward and buy and make something. Companies who are buyers are companies like SUMMIT, WEINSTEINS, CBS, SPYGLASS, etc.

On a final note, the sad truth of going wide is that material sent out dies pretty quickly. Selling something is very hard. Just based on stats alone, 1300 specs are listed as going out in the last 2.5 years on trackingb.com, of those listed, 180 have sold. Obviously this doesn’t encompass *every* sale but it’s a pretty good measurement.

I hope this has been helpful to the more junior members of the site.

EDIT: Do follow this link to hear manager MichaelB explain more about the process.

EJ
    Last edited by EJ Pennypacker; 03-12-2015, 06:45 AM. Reason: Fixed font style

Re: Specs Going Wide - The 411

Lovely post EJ.
    "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

Thanks EJ,awesome info.

Comment

indeed. thanks for taking the time.
        @PatriotFrames

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post

On a final note, the sad truth of going wide is that material sent out dies pretty quickly. Selling something is very hard. Just based on stats alone, 1300 specs are listed as going out in the last 2.5 years on trackingb.com, of those listed, 180 have sold. Obviously this doesn't encompass *every* sale but it's a pretty good measurement.

EJ
          EJ - Great post!

Q: Can I assume the 1300 includes specs written by both pros and newbies? If yes, is there a way to further break down that 1300 to show how many were first-time writers? That would be a cool stat to see.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Thanks for the post, EJ.

Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of a production company having "exclusive deals" and "first look deal" with studios in the first place? Why can't they just take it to any studio they wish? Do studios give production companies they have "deals" with priority?

Are there other strategies employed other than "going wide"? From what I've heard, tracking boards can make or kill a script.

Comment

Sc111,

Yeah, I'd love to see that stat. If I remember right I think someone did something like that over at 2A for last year.

Why One,

Production Companies who have deals with studios get priority because they are trusted and preferred execs they like to work with. Often an actual production company with a deal with a studio will actually work on their lot, in the studios offices with studio phones and such.

In answer to your second question, attaching talent is another method *before* going out, but it seems there's no escaping those dreaded tracking boards.

EJ

Comment

Nice post, EJ. If I recall correctly, a script of yours went out wide last year at some point ... any chance you could fill us in on what you and your reps did with it, and what eventually happened?

Comment

For the newbies of the site, I thought I'd write a little about what is referred to as "going wide- and just what it all means.

When a rep gets excited about your work, either an agent or manager (or both working as a team) will move onto the stage of "going wide-.

This involves drafting up a list of anywhere between 10 to 30+ production companies that have a sweet tooth for your given genre of spec. Often, if not always, these companies have deals with a big studio, who often end up footing the bill if your script is purchased.

It's important to know that although rarely a production company can buy your script with their discretionary funds (their own money), it's often in their interest to get the studio to buy it instead because they need someone to bank roll this venture - as movies obviously cost a lot of money to make. Besides, there are two other very good reasons why they take them into the studio first...

a) The production company can have an "exclusive deal- with a studio, which basically means Production Company A *only* looks for material for that said Studio A, and nobody else. While there are obvious advantages of this style of deal for the company, it can be frustrating for a writer's script to go into this channel. Why? Because if the studio passes, Production Company A cannot do anything else with your spec. Their hands are tied. And your chances of selling the spec just RIP'd through that channel.

b) The other, and more popular style of deal, is called a "first look deal-, which basically means that Production Company B takes the script to their Studio B, who they have that deal with, and it's here the studio can either buy it, or pass on it, and if they pass on it, then it opens up a new set or rules (which makes this option more interesting) because then Company B are open to take said script to other studios to see if they are interested in buying it as well. This can often turn into a run around town looking for potential buyers.

In some instances, if you're lucky to have two or more companies that have deals with the same studio, then your reps decide who is the best fit for the material (based on passion/background/contacts) and they assign that one company that territory (studio) and the other company(s) has to wait it out.

For people interested in seeing just what companies have what studios deals, Variety has an interesting link dated 2008 which lists all of the deals of last year. So have a look and you'll see how the town is divided up into territories through studios.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...factspacts2008

Also, just to compare and see how often companies lose or gain their deals, here is another one dated 2005.

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...nter&dept=Film

It's also worth mentioning other avenues of a sale that isn't through a studio. It's called going to "buyers-. Buyers are like smaller studios that basically can bankroll their own features, they don't need the nod from a studio to go forward and buy and make something. Companies who are buyers are companies like SUMMIT, WEINSTEINS, CBS, SPYGLASS, etc.

On a final note, the sad truth of going wide is that material sent out dies pretty quickly. Selling something is very hard. Just based on stats alone, 1300 specs are listed as going out in the last 2.5 years on trackingb.com, of those listed, 180 have sold. Obviously this doesn't encompass *every* sale but it's a pretty good measurement.

EJ
                  It's all quite fascinating, isn't it. I am taking a spec out wide, scheduled for next week, and we're putting together our submission list right now. It's one of my favorite things to do!

Comment

Thanks for the post, EJ.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

The best and worst hours of your life.
                      And though it ends in godawful carnage - you can't wait to go on the ride again.

Comment

Why One,

Production Companies who have deals with studios get priority because they are trusted and preferred execs they like to work with. Often an actual production company with a deal with a studio will actually work on their lot, in the studios offices with studio phones and such.

In answer to your second question, attaching talent is another method *before* going out, but it seems there's no escaping those dreaded tracking boards.
                        Thanks EJ, awesome stuff!

Comment

Been through it once... about to go through it again. It's about as gut-wrenching as it gets, but what can ya do?

Comment

Originally posted by jojo2000 View Post
                            Been through it once... about to go through it again. It's about as gut-wrenching as it gets, but what can ya do?
                            Good luck to you, brotha.

I did it twice so far, and if I ever get done with these rewrites, should be stepping up for the third spin at the wheel soon (though with a different player behind me.)

Hope I read about your sale, man.

Comment

Originally posted by seh View Post
                              Good luck to you, brotha.

I did it twice so far, and if I ever get done with these rewrites, should be stepping up for the third spin at the wheel soon (though with a different player behind me.)

Hope I read about your sale, man.
                              Thanks, Seh. Good luck on yours as well... not sure if it's full blown self-loathing that makes us do this, but it's what we do.

Comment

Working...
                              X