No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Querying optioned script?

I'm assuming the answer to this one is "no" but:

I have a script optioned right now by a production company (mostly VOD and Netflix movies but with name actors.) It's my first option and I'd hoped it would lead to some manager/agent interest but the company has not been very helpful in that regard.

Is it considered bad form (or alternatively, is it pointless?) to send queries out to managers with this script? I know that most of the time specs don't sell anyway and are used more as a sample so I thought it might be okay? Or just a case of "move onto the next one?"

Appreciate any advice!

Re: Querying optioned script?

Do you have anything else ready to show? I don't think a manager would be interested if your only work was already optioned, but since you have some success and s relationship with a prodco he or she might be interested if you have other things ready to go out

Comment

I think it's a conversation to have with them. The timing may be off, seeing as you recently optioned it, they may not want it 'floating around.' Doesn't hurt to ask how they'd feel about it. It's kind of a tricky stage to find a rep.

I'm in a similar situation were I have a script tied up that I can't do anything with... far as using as a sample [for assignments/staffing]. In the meantime I'm writing new material.
      DOPE CITY

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you use your already optioned script to get yourself a manager, then that manager will have nothing to manage until you write another script. So you may as well write another script and then use that to query managers.
        Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
        "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I think it's okay. I doubt this company is Bad Robot-esque in terms of demanding utter secrecy. As long as your query indicates it's under option, the manager will know it's just a sample. In a perfect world, you have another brilliant script ready to go already for them to sell, but in the absence of that, a sample should be enough for a manager to know whether they want to sign you.
          https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

I would think it would be a bad idea- what's in it for them? Also, you don't even own it anymore.
            But you could say "I just finished new script XYZ and it's about blah blah. About me: I recently optioned ZYX to blah blah blah." I'd imagine they'd like seeing you have had some success and you also have this awesome new script.
            Last edited by cvolante; 03-10-2016, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses so far! I did kind of think "what's in it for the managers?" But my thought process was that they could still use it as a sample to send out. I do also have other scripts in the same genre, I'm just very happy with this one and feel it has a strong concept so I think it would make a good sample.

I guess the best thing to do might be to ask the production company for their thoughts. I have previously asked whether they could recommend me to any managers/agents but they just say to "wait for the movie to be made" and then the offers will come. But I know enough about the business to realize the chances of the movie actually being made are pretty slim so wanted to be more proactive.

Really appreciate all the thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by mc101 View Post
                I'm assuming the answer to this one is "no" but:

I have a script optioned right now by a production company (mostly VOD and Netflix movies but with name actors.) It's my first option and I'd hoped it would lead to some manager/agent interest but the company has not been very helpful in that regard.

Is it considered bad form (or alternatively, is it pointless?) to send queries out to managers with this script? I know that most of the time specs don't sell anyway and are used more as a sample so I thought it might be okay? Or just a case of "move onto the next one?"

Appreciate any advice!
                Since you temporarily do not own the script right now, you don't have the right to send it to anyone. You signed away those rights when you optioned the script. I had a similar dilemma with an optioned script I wanted to use as a writing sample for a producer, so I called the people I optioned it to and asked for permission to send it. They thanked me for asking and gave permission. So before you decide even if it's a good idea to send an optioned script to get a manager, you probably need to find out if it's ok first. It's goes a long way to establishing a relationship of trust with people.

As to whether you should... If it's me, I query/send a different script but let them know in the query or cover letter that you've already optioned a script and to whom. If they ask to read it, then you send it. My two cents.

Comment

Working...
                X