Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Including a primary/ glossary?

So I'm writing a semi pirate themed script with nautical terms, etc. Was wondering if it would be prudent to include a small intro page with basic ship terms like what bow and aft mean, etc. Not extensive, just a quick guide.

Re: Including a primary/ glossary?

Originally posted by wsaunders View Post
    So I'm writing a semi pirate themed script with nautical terms, etc. Was wondering if it would be prudent to include a small intro page with basic ship terms like what bow and aft mean, etc. Not extensive, just a quick guide.
    A quick guide? Meaning you expect the reader to stop reading your story and then flip back and reference a term? I wouldn't.

Describe the object/term at the first time we see it/use it. That way it will relate to your story. I have a sci-fi that has its own terminology too, readers will understand (and remember) it better in the context of the story.
    Last edited by finalact4; 05-22-2016, 04:40 PM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Re: Including a primary/ glossary?

In your particular case, it is probably not a good idea. That is not to say that a glossary should never, under any circumstances, be included. It is a matter of efficiency: What is the best way to convey necessary information?

A couple of points are relevant here.

1. As you know, the audience will never be privy to the glossary. Anything obscure should be comprehensible in the context. Of course, «bow» and «aft» are simple terms anyway.

2. You may be thinking, not of the audience, but of the director and the crew, who might need help. In some instances a writer may need to clarify something. The best way to do this, in my opinion, is to include a brief explanation in brackets [like these] within the action itself.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Working...
      X