No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you keep reading this?

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
    The movie made from the screenplay was a hit, thereby implying the question of whether or not we, as hypothetical readers, would recognize its greatness and send it up the chain of command with our resounding endorsements.
    I don't know how other people took it, but my point in quoting Shane Black's script was to show that a good, vivid, script can be written (and sold and turned into a movie) even though it breaks just about every "guru" rule. If you can "see" and "feel" the movie when you read the script, the writer has done his job.

The scripts that "almost didn't get made" (which really is pretty much inaccurate anyhow) are not the same thing. These "almost didn't get made" for various reasons not connected to the writing quality of the script. For the most part they were already packaged and shopped to the studios and budgets were the main concern. A completely different deal then buying a script from an unknown.
    STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

I think TigerFang was trying to make a different point.

I make the same one, I think, about loglines: That if we look at loglines for some popular/successful films, and use the superior imaginations that we're supposed to have and IGNORE the brilliant film that resulted, if we were the decision-makers at the time may we very well have passed on that log or query before we even got around to reading the screenplay.

Try the aforementioned exercise here:

http://www.filmdaily.tv/logline/top-...gline-examples

It's like I always say, reading is already a subjective thing, but in this business the higher-ups try to read as little as possible - from writers not represented by some major referral or having had a previous success.

This may be the only way to cope with the inflow, but it's a guarantee to miss the "next big one". It happens over and over. It's often some Indie company that eventually gives that one a chance, or it's a self-made situation.

I'd love to see all the embarrassed faces at the bigs when the top knob at those companies reads about a recent success story and say, "Hey, didn't we have that one in our hands?"

Goldman: Nobody knows anything

Me: Nobody wants to read anything

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
        I think TigerFang was trying to make a different point.

I make the same one, I think, about loglines: That if we look at loglines for some popular/successful films, and use the superior imaginations that we're supposed to have and IGNORE the brilliant film that resulted, if we were the decision-makers at the time we may very well have passed on that log or query before we even got around to reading the screenplay.

. . .

It's like I always say, reading is already a subjective thing, but in this business, the higher-ups try to read as little as possible - from writers not represented by some major referral or having had a previous success.

This may be the only way to cope with the inflow, but it's a guarantee to miss the "next big one". . . .
        That's it.
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 07-02-2018, 03:16 PM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Try the aforementioned exercise here:
          http://www.filmdaily.tv/logline/top-...gline-examples
          I'm not convinced those are genuine loglines.

Goldman: Nobody knows anything
          Mangold: Anybody knows nothing
          Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
          "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
            Yes, to see how many more glaring mistakes this amateur is going to make. If only he'd posted here first before embarrassing himself, we could have helped!

EXT. CITY OF ANGELS - NIGHT

Need I say more? I pity the fool.
            Bit harsh.
            It's a good piece of writing but not in spec format. Too much camera.. to directed.

Comment

Working...
            X