Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #41
Takezo
Regular

Default Re: Where the hell do you start?

Not sure what you mean by this? Are you saying that if you go to tech school they have a good system of preparing you for the real world?

No, not for screenwriting.
I'm just saying that these tech schools structure the programs to get you out into the world quicker.

The universities structure their programs to suck the maximum amount of tuition and time from you--and then not prepare you to deal the mission at hand.

And if you think a degree from a film school is going to get you anything at all--you're completely delusional.

They are all meaningless. A waste of money and time.
I know this kid who has over 100K in school loan debt from going to USC.
Talk about insane!? Jesus wept!

You can take 15K and set up a complete studio in your home with a Apple system and HD camera--go out and shoot a short or a feature, put it on the internet, get up or down on the learning curve without all the tuition and talking heads and years of time wasted. Actually it would be cheaper, and you'd learn a whole lot faster.

Look at my old school Cal State Northridge.
When I went there it was about 40 years behind the times.
They had a closet full of old Oricon 16mm Cameras, some old donated sticks and gaffer equipment, and three movieola (sp?) machines. And one of the main professors claim to fame was that he made propaganda films for Fidel Castro during the summer months--like that's going to get you somewhere, or teach you something.

Last year I got a contribution letter from my alumni association. They were bragging about how they just installed 35mm equipment (mix, editing, etc.) in the film program.

Okay---now they're only 20 years behind the times.
This is a joke.

I'm just saying there's a quicker way to seperate the chaff from the wheat.

If I were rich and won the lottery somehow--and had a lot of free time on my hands, I would open up a seminar like I describe. And I wouldn't charge a cent--only that it would be hard a F to get in. And I would crack the whip, and sometimes make you cry (actually a whole lot), but you'd actually get something done. But, alas this is not going to happen.

FYI the guy I write with did an internship with Robert Towne.
And I studied directly under a (currently) famous working director when he was teaching college classes a while back.

And we sat up straight and kept our mouths shut.

Also... this what my agent says when I go into meeting with him (he goes also)... "sit up straight and keep your mouth shut!"

I love my agent.

T

Last edited by Takezo : 06-04-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Takezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
ddlogan
User

Just hanging around to see if Takezo would reply right away and he did. He or she, I don't know? This is an example of the kinds of people that aspiring, naive writers need to watch out for.

Review the five pages that this post has grown to. Almost every day, hour and minute he responds. Think and know people.

Last edited by ddlogan : 06-04-2009 at 04:50 PM.
ddlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #43
Takezo
Regular

Okay dude, go and reinvent the wheel all over again, and again.

Somewhere, somehow, sometime, someone will sit down with you and 'splain it all in remedial terms.

T
Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #44
Farnsworth

Takezo,

What do you think of the Nicholl's contest?
Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #45
Takezo
Regular

Don't know it.
Actually I'm trying to pump out at least 5 good pages today, and somehow I got sidetracked on this thread again.

So post a link and let me take a look.

But you already know what I think of these.
If you go out with a script to these competitions--you're going wide with your material and exposing your hand and giving the material the kiss of death at the same time. You may win--but what will it win you?

The brass ring is an agent or sale or both.

T
Old 06-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #46
Farnsworth

I agree, although I have never heard the "kiss of death" argument.

What tells me a lot about you're feelings about it is that you've never heard of it.

I agree that you should market your scripts with managers and agents and forget the contests.
Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #47
jboffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takezo View Post
Don't know it.
Actually I'm trying to pump out at least 5 good pages today, and somehow I got sidetracked on this thread again.

So post a link and let me take a look.

But you already know what I think of these.
If you go out with a script to these competitions--you're going wide with your material and exposing your hand and giving the material the kiss of death at the same time. You may win--but what will it win you?

The brass ring is an agent or sale or both.

T
Take a look at the success stories. Sometimes it involves a sale/option of your script, other times representation.

Obviously I'd be ecstatic to sell a script, but representation alone would be huge.

Take a look at the thread (in the contest section) for the Austin Film Festival. Apparently it's a great networking opportunity.

I think you're unfairly grouping stupid start-up contests with no validity (most) with the really prestigious contests (few). You didn't know about Nicholl? That's an instant ticket into the business.
jboffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #48
Landis26

To paraphrase Oliver Stone "Parents pay a lot of money for their kids to go to film school, to be in a business that 90% of them won't ever make it in at all, or will barely make a decent living doing."
Landis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #49
Takezo
Regular

You didn't know about Nicholl? That's an instant ticket into the business.

Honestly, I don't fixate on the contests, nor track them.
Or do I care to have any interest in them.

I don't have to.
I have an outlet for my material (agent)--I've had outlets for my stuff since the late 80's.

There are a lot of writers (many crappy), but if you don't have an outlet for your material--it's just a hobby.

These competitions may be good to get some recognition, but you will have to pump out something again, and again--and eventually get off the competition/gadfly tit.

T
Old 06-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #50
Takezo
Regular

Obviously I'd be ecstatic to sell a script, but representation alone would be huge.

This should be your minimum goal.
A sale would also be sweet, but once you got someone on your side, there's a big reason to continue writing.

You should have goals--written down and not pie-in-the-sky ****.
You should strive to hit your markers.

Take a look at the thread (in the contest section) for the Austin Film Festival. Apparently it's a great networking opportunity.

If this is the case--then get all over it.
But make sure there are real opportunities to do this--else your just spinning your wheels.

Look, dude... if you have the goods--put the meat to an agent/manager.
I mean you really must have the goods to pull it off.

T