Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #41
instant_karma

Default Re: So, I got my first meeting with a producer tomorrow afternoon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBScript View Post
You guys are being silly.
Shh! You'll disrupt the sexual tension!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #42
sc111

Jeff --

Okay, fair enough. I have another question for you (and anyone else in the biz who can chime in). And I do appreciate your time. It's a sincere question -- not a gotcha thing ...

I was wondering if there is a risk for the new unsold, unoptioned writer to get overexposed to a degree (not in the naked sense), going to a lot of meetings, landing no sale, no assignment, yet their name getting known (sometimes actually being asked outright who else has read their scripts) ... could it be a detriment to become known as someone virtually everyone has met with but no one has hired? At some point will the rose pale?
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #43
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
Jeff --

Okay, fair enough. I have another question for you (and anyone else in the biz who can chime in). And I do appreciate your time. It's a sincere question -- not a gotcha thing ...

I was wondering if there is a risk for the new unsold, unoptioned writer of getting overexposed to a degree (not in the naked sense), going to a lot of meetings, landing no sale, no assignment, yet their name getting known (and sometimes actually being asked outright who else has read their scripts) ... could it be a detriment to become known as someone virtually everyone has met with but no one has hired? At some point will the rose pale?
No. Because these meetings are coming off of people reading...and liking...your work.

Most meetings lead to nothing. Everyone knows that. Beyond that, you can't have too many fans.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #44
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBScript View Post
No. Because these meetings are coming off of people reading...and liking...your work.

Most meetings lead to nothing. Everyone knows that. Beyond that, you can't have too many fans.
Thanks.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #45
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_illusion View Post
Just for the record, this wasn't a meeting about a potential assignment. It was in fact a meeting in regards to a spec I wrote that the producer is interested in pursuing.
Sorry if I hijacked your thread. I initially responded as I did with the subtext being "Relax - odds are ..." Thing is, I frequently have to cold-sell my writing skills in another industry, also lots of meetings, had a phone conference today as a writer being considered for a client's project. (A phone pitch is even more challenging, in my opinion, than in-person meetings). There are multiple dynamics going on in these situations. Many dynamics unique to the person you're meeting. The best thing, in all situations is to, at the very least, relax. All of the above is, in my experience, in a different industry, of course, so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #46
DavidK

Quote:
Jeff --

I was wondering if there is a risk for the new unsold, unoptioned writer to get overexposed to a degree (not in the naked sense), going to a lot of meetings, landing no sale, no assignment, yet their name getting known (sometimes actually being asked outright who else has read their scripts) ... could it be a detriment to become known as someone virtually everyone has met with but no one has hired? At some point will the rose pale?
No you can't become overexposed if you are meeting people through their interest in your writing. It is possible to become a PITA if you harangue people and have nothing to offer, but if you have interesting writing and some basic social skills, being known can only be good - whether you are unsold/unoptioned or not.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #47
BattleDolphinZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK View Post
No you can't become overexposed if you are meeting people through their interest in your writing. It is possible to become a PITA if you harangue people and have nothing to offer, but if you have interesting writing and some basic social skills, being known can only be good - whether you are unsold/unoptioned or not.
I agree. You want to meet as many people as possible...unless you suck. Then you still wanna do it because you're accelerating your exit from a business you shouldn't be in.

Right now one of my closest friends is being shepherded/mentored by a couple of big time producers with deals at Warners. And there is a senior VP at Warners who has promised to be the exec who breaks my friend in.

This guy has no sales. He has one spec sample. He's been up for two gigs that are way bigger than anything I've worked on in the last 10 years. He hasn't gotten them but now his agents have convinced this exec to make a blind deal...we'll see if it happens.

My point, this is a guy with no credits, no experience, and he's got some of the biggest producers in town working with THE BIGGEST studio in town to get him in the game.

Because he has one script that they all like, and they like him.

And they like him because they took meetings with him that initially went no where.
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #48
RichMike
Regular

BDZ, can you please explain that a little more (see below)?

Are you typing: They like him because he has a good spec and because he kept a good attitude when his first meetings about the script went nowhere?

Sounds awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post

Right now one of my closest friends is being shepherded/mentored by a couple of big time producers with deals at Warners.

And they like him because they took meetings with him that initially went no where.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #49
BattleDolphinZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMike View Post
Are you typing: They like him because he has a good spec and because he kept a good attitude when his first meetings about the script went nowhere?

Sounds awesome!
Yeah. There are two different prod/cos that really took to the guy. Both happened to be at Warners. And there's an exec at Warners that really liked him. In fact I think that's how he got his agent and met the producers.

So here's how it plays out...

Guy writes great spec.

I give it to my manager. He takes 3 months to read it. Loves it.

Gives it to a few agents. Gets no traction.

Goes out with spec. People love it. No sale but tons of meetings.

One of the people who loves it is Warner exec.

Warner exec gives it to producers and tells ICM "you should rep this guy, I'm gonna find a way to get him working."

Rest is history in the making.

ps.

he's also up for other gigs too
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #50
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Thanks.
You know, I will amend this with one thought. Some people think that going out and spending too much time taking general meetings can be a bad thing because it can cause folks to become complacent and stop producing new material. You need to do both, IMO.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote