Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #41
Geoff Alexander

Default Re: Current Studio Model Will Fall Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post
"The new owners will focus on maximizing the value of Miramax's library, a source familiar with the situation said. No production operations exist at this time and there are no current production plans, the source said."

So Miramax is not going to be a production company, just a source for new BluRays and movies on TV from the existing library.

And is the $1-10m thing based on any data, or just wishful thinking? Since there is little-to-no cinema market for that material right now (with the indie distribs mostly gone) and DVD sales are flat right now - how are films in that budget range thriving?

- Bill
the 1-10m thing doesn't square with what we are seeing. It's 2-5, around 20, around 40 and then BIGTASTIC! But I have no sources for this.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #42
NatachaVonBraun

Quote:
"

And is the $1-10m thing based on any data, or just wishful thinking? Since there is little-to-no cinema market for that material right now (with the indie distribs mostly gone) and DVD sales are flat right now - how are films in that budget range thriving?

- Bill
Dunno about data. After a doom and gloom discussion of the current studio-financed market during the Action genre program, Daniel Petrie looked at the audience and told us not to despair. That they were talking about studio action pics, but that the 1-10 mil market was starting to burgeon. Mark Fergus, Kurt Wimmer, Doug Miro and Carlo Bernard nodded in agreement. Miro and Bernard added that they also developed and pitched for smaller budgets.
NatachaVonBraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #43
jcgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
Mark Fergus, Kurt Wimmer, Doug Miro and Carlo Bernard nodded in agreement. Miro and Bernard added that they also developed and pitched for smaller budgets.
If they're pitching for those budgets, then smaller, 'lesser,' younger writers won't be getting those jobs.

jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #44
NatachaVonBraun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgary View Post
If they're pitching for those budgets, then smaller, 'lesser,' younger writers won't be getting those jobs.
That's exactly what I thought. They are also turning their scripts into comic books. It's tough out there for rich, successful writers too. Boo hoo hoo.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #45
wcmartell

Do those guys know how to make movies on budgets like that?

The problem Fox Home Vid is having is that their inhouse movies is that they are creeping up towards $10m on stuff like the Dr. DOLITTLE sequels... and those are pretty basic films. I can blow up submarines on a $3m budget - with a better cast. You have to be able to control number of locations and number of speaking roles so that you can spend the money on stuff that counts. I have a DVD sequel project at Sony, and the reason why the producer was interested is that I know how to get the most bang for the budget. Fox Home Vid is hiring "name writers" who are slumming (probably need the work) - but whose experience is in bigger budgets.

Last year when I was doing endless meetings on that 80s remake thing, everybody said the sweet-spot for horror remakes was $15m, with $19m for 3D - which probably translates to that $20m budget range. The horror remakes make between $50-60m domestic...

But those horror remakes are from the studios (and LionsGate) so they aren't good examples of the studios failing.

- Bill
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #46
NatachaVonBraun

Equilibrium, which Wimmer directed, must have been no more than $20 million. Ultraviolet probably had a bigger budget than Equilibrium. It seemed Fergus was more grounded in directing lower budgets. Children of Men was pennies compared to Iron Man.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #47
jcgary

Quote:
Do those guys know how to make movies on budgets like that?
Bill, I think it'll take the studios a lot of time before they realize those name writers don't get it. Meanwhile, they're just blinded by the big-time name they're able to hire for their middle-budget film. I get it -- if I'm in an internal meeting and the other execs want to know how my Doolittle sequel is going, I'm gonna be pretty happy to tell them I've got Gary Ross writing it, whether or not the draft turns out any good.

It's the same reason dopey producers spend a year going to actors & actresses they'll never be able to pay for, in the blind hope they'll 'fall in love' with the material, and in the end we'll go with Keith David anyway.

jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote