No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoetrope?

hey all

Zoetrope had a wonderful forum where users could upload their short stories and get critiques from other users.

is this still available?

and if it isn't, can anyone recommend a similar forum?

Re: Zoetrope?

I don't know about Zoetrope, but you can post the first 5 or so pages in the Script Pages Feedback forum on this site and post a link to the complete piece so if anyone wants to continue reading they can. And of course after reading it, or maybe not all of it, they can give you some feedback.
    TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Go to www.zoetrope.com
      Zoetrope Workshops is on right side of screen (join or sign in)

Comment

I gave up on Zoetrope - what, a year ago, or longer? - because the number of users had shrunk to almost nothing. The few remaining members were hardcore types that did not want to change anything that might increase membership. And they had some crazy policies; for example, they let members exclude other members who were likely to give highly critical reviews with low scores. And members could block you entirely, so that you could not see their posts or submissions.

One old fart there (truly, he was old) was a pretty good short story writer. He wrote something that impressed me favorably. But I pointed out a grammatical error in the narration (no, not in the dialogue). His reaction was something like "it doesn't matter".

Another guy wrote a screenplay with a UFO/aliens subject, and the general plot was pretty good. The work definitely needed development, but it was not too bad. Unfortunately, it was wretchedly written. I spent about three days making notes on the thing, and the only result was that the author blocked me (at least, I was never able to find him on the board again). Later I saw that his script had been selected as the winner for the month.

Honestly, the place began to suck so bad that I just had to leave. It was nothing but a mutual admiration society for a handful of poseurs and perennial amateurs.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

I thought Zoetrope died years ago.
          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

It's still there, and I drop in very rarely. It's not very welcoming in my experience, and there are people who are very mis-informed. But there are also some nice people.

It's also a place to swap feedback on screenplays. You have to read 4 to get feedback on 1.
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
              It's still there, and I drop in very rarely. It's not very welcoming in my experience, and there are people who are very mis-informed. But there are also some nice people.

It's also a place to swap feedback on screenplays. You have to read 4 to get feedback on 1.
              I guess I'm confusing it with another one that worked similarly. I can't remember its name now. (For some reason the word "tiger" keeps coming up, but I don't know if that makes any sense.)
              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicBent View Post
                I gave up on Zoetrope — what, a year ago, or longer? — because the number of users had shrunk to almost nothing. The few remaining members were hardcore types that did not want to change anything that might increase membership. And they had some crazy policies; for example, they let members exclude other members who were likely to give highly critical reviews with low scores. And members could block you entirely, so that you could not see their posts or submissions.

Honestly, the place began to suck so bad that I just had to leave. It was nothing but a mutual admiration society for a handful of poseurs and perennial amateurs.
                When I was a Zoetrope member, there were some real literary cyberbullies there (which is almost laugh-out-loud funny, if cast in the correct light).

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                ... It's not very welcoming in my experience, and there are people who are very mis-informed. But there are also some nice people.
                Yes, in my experience with the site, there were umpteen misinformed members. The word “unwelcoming” is also an apt description of the general “mood” of the boards.

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                I guess I'm confusing it with another one that worked similarly. I can't remember its name now. (For some reason the word "tiger" keeps coming up, but I don't know if that makes any sense.)
                Looked for “tiger’ on IMDb. Found this: Triggerstreet.com. Check out the lone “User Review.’
                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                  Looked for “tiger’ on IMDb. Found this: Triggerstreet.com. Check out the lone “User Review.’
                  Triggerstreet is the right name, but I think that IMDB review was for something they started after the original concept (more like Zoetrope) had died. I think the original Triggerstreet lasted about 2 years (starting at the end of 2004). It might have been the same people later, but the page looks completely different (what little I can see of it from Archive.org looks different anyhow).

Comment

No zoe' no mo'

Today anyway. Maybe for good.

Isn't triggerstreet the k. spacey front that collapsed a couple of years before he did? Or was that another site -?

Comment

I tried to check Zoetrope just now. It timed out.

I did a quick Google search but could not find any recent news about the site.

If it has finally folded, it is no loss at all.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Zoetrope.com is DOWN for everyone.
                        It is not just you. The server is not responding...

I liked zoetrope because it was easy to cut and paste pictures/articles/youtube videos onto the site, to make my otherwise flat and undistinguished comments seem three-dimensional and clever. Can't do that on donedeal, so I almost never post here.

Oh well...

Comment

Whoops. Back up again.

On life support, from that cracked iron lung wheeze I hear in the background.

Comment

Working...
                          X