Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #11
Strangerthanfiction
User

Default Re: Final Draft 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
I have FD11 and honestly it's been fine. I never had much of an issue with Final Draft and the numerous iterations I've owned. Suffice it to say, I don't get the hate. That said, I've used Fade In and it's fine enough. But the industry by and large uses FD, and if you break in you'll have to switch back.
You've thrown a spanner in the works now, haven't you...?
Brain overload. Blood pressure rising.

Last edited by Strangerthanfiction : 07-30-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Strangerthanfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
TigerFang

Quote:
I never had much of an issue with Final Draft and the numerous iterations I've owned.
Nor did I until this week.

Quote:
But the industry by and large uses FD, and if you break in you'll have to switch back.
No, thank you.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
You've thrown a spanner in the works now, haven't you...?
Brain overload. Blood pressure rising.
First of all, you made me look up spanner. We speak American English here, buddy!

Maybe the issue has to do with the version people are using? Maybe they're no longer supporting older products (like FD9) and that's why bugs and other issues are now popping up.

I wrote my last two scripts with Fade In, and found myself needing Final Draft because the conversion to fdx wasn't working properly (and that could be due to operator error, but still.) I was lucky to get a good discount for FD11 and went for it.

To be honest, there really isn't much difference, imo. FadeIn is fine, so is FD. If pressed, I would argue that the layout/UX is better with FD. But that's entirely subjective. To each their own.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #14
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post

You talked about emailing yourself a copy of your script. That is a clever way to make backups that are out of the reach of Final Draft. (By the way, after years of dealing with people who had suffered the same disaster that you did, I have never heard any explanation for WHY this problem occurs in Final Draft every once in a while.) But you will not have that problem with Fade In.
Strangerthanfiction, i'm curious, is your version of Final Draft and "upgraded" version? meaning, did you upgrade from, say, FD8 to FD10? sometimes it's best to start with a fresh download as constant updates over time might cause some kind of corruption. i know that happens on computer ios. i just had my imac wiped yesterday and had Apple reload a clean version of Mojave.

Quote:
Also, since you can trust Fade In, let me make another suggestion, and you may be doing this already. Get a Dropbox account and use it to back up your really important files. You can get 2G of storage space for free. All you have to do is install the program onto your computer. It will create a folder under your user name, called Dropbox, and it functions like any other folder, except that when you are online your computer will communicate with Dropbox "in the cloud" and send a copy of your file to the cloud when you save it to your computer. I apologize if you know all of this already.

The free 2G of space is plenty if you are only using Dropbox for your important data files that change frequently. You use your Dropbox folder on your computer to save your files, just as you normally do with another folder. The program, when you install it, may offer you the option to store everything ONLY in the cloud and not have redundant copies on your computer. I recommend against using that option. Store on your computer and also in the cloud.

I think that with Dropbox you can safely stop the practice of sending email copies of files to yourself. I have never known Fade In to wreck anyone's file, and if the current file version got corrupted somehow, Dropbox keeps an older version for 30 days (according to online information).
i used to do what you do, emailing myself copies, but now i just use drop box. it's really amazing, but i will tell you from experience, 2gigs is not always going to be enough.

i do keep multiple drafts of my scripts i'm currently working on.

i almost exclusively use dropbox for writing. i have a folder of 5 scripts saved in both FDX and PDF (FD PDFs are notoriously large). and i keep all my backup on my research. and i can tell you, i'm always having to archive old files to my hard drive. i do keep some video (classes) research and images.

the point is, i love dropbox. it's easy to share files.

if anyone uses Scrivener, the files can get huge! just fyi.

i would also call final draft and ask them to give you a clean downloadable FD10 file to reinstall. i mean, that **** ain't cheap and they should stand behind their product. i haven't had a problem with my FD10 but i'm on imac and macbook pros.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #15
StoryWriter

Quote:
I have FD11 and honestly it's been fine. I never had much of an issue with Final Draft and the numerous iterations I've owned. Suffice it to say, I don't get the hate. That said, I've used Fade In and it's fine enough. But the industry by and large uses FD, and if you break in you'll have to switch back.

Windows version?

Years ago I bought DOS Scriptware and used it on a laptop, I knew had a fading hard drive. I was backing up my script on floppies but got lazy and went from around page forty to page 110 without a backup. Wouldn't you know it the hard drive barfed. I didn't even know Scriptware was making backups (two of them) until I found them. I lost a whole paragraph. Eventually I started using Movie Magic and always had good backups without even telling it to back anything up.

Then I tried a trial version of Final Draft -- probably around 2007. I got about sixteen pages into something I wasn't really serious about (fortunately), when the computer locked up hard and had to be rebooted. No sign of life on the sixteen pages. It was like they never existed. And Final Draft has never existed on any computer I've ever owned since then.

One barf is one barf too many for me. Meanwhile Movie Magic 2000 keeps chugging along and works on any Windows version I use (including 10). I play around with online formatters, but when I get serious I always use Movie Magic 2000.

What's the point of writing with something that's a crap shoot when it comes to keeping what you write?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #16
ComicBent

Using an upgraded version has nothing to do with the problem.

I have had many email requests for help from desperate people from all over the country, through the years, about this Final Draft problem.

If it has never happened to you, then you are like the guy who has never had any problems with his automobile, though the same model of vehicle has spontaneously caught on fire, while parked in the garage, of some other people.

Good luck.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
ComicBent

Quote:
i have a folder of 5 scripts saved in both FDX and PDF (FD PDFs are notoriously large)
The PDF of a script ought to be smaller than the .fdx file. Using a FD file that was about 450K, and the Windows version of FD 10, I got about 250K for the PDF produced through FD (it was actually some cockamamie Microsoft PDF driver), and about 200K with a commercial PDF driver (PDF-XChange). The font was embedded in each PDF.

Are you sure that you are not producing a .jpg image of every page when you make a PDF? I cannot imagine what else would produce a PDF that is huge.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #18
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
(and why are there extra spaces between paragraphs when I post? I have to go back to delete them after my initial post. This didn’t happen here until fairly recently. I’ve seen this for a few other people here, too, such as ComicBent’s posts above)
I've had the same issue here for a while now. I don't know what changed but it's become part of my normal routine to remove extra spaces when I post.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #19
Centos

Quote:
Maybe the issue has to do with the version people are using? Maybe they're no longer supporting older products (like FD9) and that's why bugs and other issues are now popping up.
I'm still using the free Trelby. Development basically ended in 2012 and the Windows version still works fine. (There was a small change needed in the code of the Linux version in 2015 to keep it working with newer versions of Linux libraries.) I don't see why an older version of Final Draft would stop working on a platform it was intended to work on, unless the program was poorly written. I've seen too many of these Final Draft horror stories, here and on Reddit to have a lot of faith in Final Draft's programmers.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #20
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
Yes, it's an upgraded version. I started with Final Draft 8. Thank you for the info about Dropbox.
i started with FD7 and upgraded to FD8 then skipped 9 and think i just took the full download instead of the upgrade. to get a full download on FD10. the old versions were really glitchy.

i haven't had any problems.

and with drop box, don't get me wrong, i love, love it. i can access it from ALL my devices and, man, it so puts your mind at ease. i also download copies onto my hard drive when done.

it's also great because i work on my imac and macbook pro and if i'm traveling i can shoot someone my script from france it i have to. it's very convenient.

hope it works out okay.