Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #21
Buzz2074
Regular

Default Re: Good Notes Cheap

Don't sweat this, Ext. My writing partner and I have used you (a few years ago.) anyway) and used others, and one thing I've discovered is that there are some others that just tell you what you wanna hear. I like you because you DON'T sugarcoat it. You should never apologize for telling it like it is.

Last edited by Buzz2074 : 08-10-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Buzz2074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #22
seh

Stephen, you actually said for this money he should find something to like? Wow.
If you want people to like your script because you paid them... wow.
What happens when you submit to reps that you aren't paying?
What you really want is someone to call it like they see it, whether it be paid analysts or fellow writers. The whole goal isn't to feel good, it's to improve the script. Really, the harsher, the better.
seh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #23
beejay

congrats on the spec sale Bart.

what's it called, and is it going to be made?
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #24
ComicBent

Hmm, this is all a very interesting situation.

I will make this offer to Stephen ... I will read your script for free and offer my observations and notes on it. I will give you my honest opinion.

If interested, send it to me by email attachment in the original form (Word, Screenwriter, Final Draft, Sophocles). If it is in Mac format, I will need a PDF.

My procedure is to convert to Word and to make notes in the script as I read along. I also sometimes do rewrites (with Word's "Track Changes" feature) to show you how to make things better. Then I return the script to you in Word and as a PDF.

You should be able to click my ComicBent profile to get my email address. If you have any trouble, let me know by Private Message or here on the board.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
Mister Q

I just had this exact disagreement with Killgore on another post. He quoted someone called Tom Lazarus (a script consultant and pro-screenwriter) who seemed to echo stephens sentiment; "Don't tell me my Romantic Comedy would be better as an Action/Thriller! Spare Me!"

I told him that I didn't think Mr Lazarus could be more wrong. I told Killgore that if I wrote a Romantic Comedy and a script consultant didn't think it was working, I'd want to hear that. I sent my first script to a certain woman we know on this board and that ExtHollywoodDay worked for I believe, and on the telephone conversation I had with her she enthused about my script (although it needed a load of work) and she told me that she sometimes has to tell first-time writers to chalk it up to experience but to walk away from it. Wow! You pay over your money and after an insightful, detailed lesson you're advised to move onto another project. That's not her being unfairly harsh but speaking with an immense sense of responibilty.

If you want a consultant who thinks that all any script needs is a little tweak here and there, then PM Killgore and check out http://www.tomlazarus.com/

Mister Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
ExtHollywoodDay
Regular

Okay- this is getting ridiculous. I've offerred to let the specifics of my notes on Stephen's script air publicly. That ball's in Stephen's court and Stephen's alone. We now have Comic willing to read the script, ostensibly to see if he thinks I was significantly off base. Comic- you get that script, I'll send you my notes on it.

I'd like it if everyone else would please quit speculating on it til that happens.

Last edited by ExtHollywoodDay : 08-10-2009 at 06:29 PM.
ExtHollywoodDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #27
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
Hey Comicbent...

Love this quote you have

It's like seeing in the future with binoculars--

""We live in a post-literate world. The opportunities are shrinking, the competition is harder than ever before, and the ability of people to appreciate good writing over bad is disappearing." — Terry Rossio. "
-
-
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
stephenleehess
User

Dear Comic,

It would be my pleasure to send you my script and I'd be happy for Bart to post his notes. Great! I like seeing the pot stirred a little. I wasn't aware that Bart had achieved "icon" status yet, and his opinions were written in stone. Don't you guys out there trust your own creative gut instincts once in a while?

Thanks guys,

Steve
stephenleehess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #29
ComicBent

My offer stands.

It was not meant to be a provocation to Bart or anyone. My purpose is to give a third opinion. I suspect we will have a third view (mine) that differs from both the first and the second opinion.

In my case I am not a professional script reader. But I do have a life-long interest in writing, and I have written notes (gratis) for some people on this board, on Zoetrope, and on Absolute Write. I only do it occasionally, because I do not do it professionally and, well, it is time-consuming.

Bart, let me do my own notes before I look at yours, if Stephen agrees to send the script.

Again, none of this is intended to be a challenge to anybody or a defense of anybody.

But this could be fun. It would be an interesting experiment just to see how different (or similar) the coverage would be from three different people.

ComicBent
rolandraystroud@gmail.com

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #30
Rantanplan

Game on !
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote