Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #21
carcar

Default Re: Super 8 = E.T.?

Yeah, to the point where the alien story line was extraneous.
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
wcmartell

Yeah - if E.T. was a lot more crappy and directed by Micheal Bay.

- Bill
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
Madbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by asjah8 View Post
my bad. i meant that they are stories with a completely different focus: an alien's story and a child's story. i felt the resemblance between the two films was light and subtle: both have an alien and a child cast at center; an easy banter between children; and an emotion beat between an alien and a child as they recognize they need each other to survive.

i liked super 8. it's interesting to me how many (including myself) focus on the children as carrying the story because i feel the story is actually designed for that takeaway. if i had to draw a comparison, i think it's more along the lines of stand by me.

Agreed. I recently saw it on DVD, and I took from it the sense of Joseph, who's kind of Abrams's homage to the legendary makeup artist, Dick Smith (The Exorcist, Taxi Driver) growing up, after his mother dies. The alien's appearance is the rite of passage for him as was finding Ray Brower's body was for Gordie in Stand By Me.

My only complaint: I wish the film didn't end because it was so beautiful and fun, especially with the kids (Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning, particularly) and Deputy Lamb (though I didn't watch 'Friday Night Lights", Kyle Chandler deserved his Emmy).

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Last edited by Madbandit : 12-12-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #24
Biohazard

Super 8 > E.T.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #25
instant_karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
Super 8 > E.T.

I...wait, that little > thing means better than right?

So, you're saying...no, I must have this wrong. You can't be-

Okay. I got nothing.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
Madbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by instant_karma View Post
I...wait, that little > thing means better than right?

So, you're saying...no, I must have this wrong. You can't be-

Okay. I got nothing.

Yeah, Bio's saying Super 8's better than E.T., which is a bit much, because, IMO, they're on the same level.

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #27
Biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
IMO, they're on the same level.
E.T. has nostalgia going for it. Apart from that, it's a very plain film that would in no way be able to stand on its own in today's modern film arena. It was good because it was original at the time, but this is a different time, and having gone back to watch E.T. a year ago left me feeling cold.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #28
asjah8

nah, e.t. has a whole lot more than just nostalgia going for it. an alien's story with a child as the window character... similar - i try to imagine myself writing twister from the perspective of the tornado using a granny as the window character and... well, that's the drift... hard, intricate stuff worth more than a casual passing nod.

i dunno, everyone has their likes and dislikes. i get the sense that people really liked the dynamics between the kids in super 8; so imho, there's no reason to assume e.t. wouldn't do well in today's market if it was fresh and new. thoughts?
asjah8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #29
ReoA
Regular

Saw Super 8 and Cowboys and Aliens back to back. The aliens looked almost identical. Is there a rent-an-alien store in LA? Wasn't a great night for movies.
ReoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #30
AriG
User

I liked the first half to SUPER 8. Because it began as a simple coming-to-age drama with a mysterious angle...and therefore was a great homage to the late 70's - early 80's.

Then once the monster is revealed, everything literally falls apart in the second half which was very disappointing. Sure, it reminded me of ET, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, THE GOONIES and possibly STAND BY ME but it still tried something different...just didn't succeed for whatever reason.

However, early marketing of the film with that first teaser was really awesome...like it was with CLOVERFIELD...where they shot the trailer before the actual production.

Anyway, SUPER 8 still generated $259,936,677 worldwide from a $50 mil budget...so it's safe to assume there will be a sequel in the works sometime in the future.
AriG is offline   Reply With Quote