Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Frequently Asked Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2002, 05:18 PM   #31
7oak

Default Re: Lord Thunderin' Jaysus...

I once had a bet with my little brother:

If I was the first one to finish one of our prospective literary productions, he'd have to wear a pair of assless chaps and buy a copy of Blueboy from our local newshop.

If he won, I can't even tell you the horror of what I'd have to do.

We decided on a draw.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:38 PM   #32
phoenixwriting

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> WHEN<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> I write my breakthrough script, and
<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> ONCE<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> I've re-written it, fixed it, polished it, and
<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> AFTER<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> it's created an absolute storm of activity in LA, and
<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> IF<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> an agent thinks it's so good they'll take a chance on an unknown, and
<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> ASSUMING<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> said agent can get a studio interested, and
<!--EZCODE BOLD START--> AFTER<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> I've flown across the world at the studio's expense to meet the "bigwigs"...

...well hell, I'll probably wear a loincloth and flog myself repeatedly across my back with a briar stick throughout the meeting.

No promises, though. I might wear a suit... naaah.

Old 04-14-2002, 07:54 PM   #33
Dignan1

The floging thing has worked in the past. This is how Damon and Affleck got "Good Will Hunting" made.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:00 PM   #34
phoenixwriting

Default Well, flog me...

You mean I'm on to something?

:lol
Old 04-15-2002, 12:48 AM   #35
dclary

Default Re: Well, flog me...

Daphne, wear the hiking boots... It'll strike a subconscious "This person cares about the earth" tone.

And yech on the sweaters? CHEESE AND RICE it's been hot this weekend. In the 80s up here by Magic Mountain!
Old 04-15-2002, 02:50 AM   #36
Daphne Charette

Ye Gods. Eighties is August weather around these heah parts. My body's going to be in shock. They may be stuck with t-shirts.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:52 AM   #37
kklstef

EDITED TO CLARIFY MY POINT (I admitted I was only running on one cup of coffee at the time).

Think of every meeting as an audition, and every producer is a casting director, and when we walk in for the "part" of the writer, and we're dressed like a producer, their first reaction to us is going to be that we're not what they're looking for.

It may even be defensive, as if we're competing for their part.
And that makes them feel as though they would be constantly butting heads with us.

If we come dressed like their expectation of a creative-minded person, we can get past the "look" and start getting into what matters for a writer.

Now, if someone has it set in their mind that anything other than a business suit is dressing like a slob, and is degrading, then I guess you have to go with what you feel (what do I know, I live in PA and have never been near L.A.).

But I can definitely see the psychology behind NOT dressing in business attire.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:44 AM   #38
dclary

kklstef, let's talk more about this over lunch.

I'll wear my Oscar Dela Renta...

Old 04-15-2002, 10:51 AM   #39
kklstef

Oscar who?

never heard of him. (I like those JCPenney suits...)

Can I wear my favorite Penn State sweatshirt? There's a hole between the P and E, I think, if you get the right angle, you can see some cleavage.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:09 AM   #40
Janks16

Default Flog me, Baby

Kklstef -- so what you're saying, then, is that we need to "dress down" in order to fulfill the low expectations that producers and executives have for writers. Perfect, that's just the kind of empowering attitude a writer needs when he/she goes into a meeting. You go girl! Imagine if every salesman thought that he was selling only his product and not himself. What a world, what a world.