Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Equalizer - groan!

Just saw this via Netflix. What a piece of ****. The fact that Denzel did it didn't matter. It was a terrible script and it was horribly directed (looked like they were going for a MAN ON FIRE look in many places). Aren't we tired of seeing cliché Russian mobsters? Aren't we tired of seeing vicious Eastern European pimps exploiting young girls? And how many items in a Home Depot style store can one use to kill someone? What a joke on so many levels.

Movies like this and TAKEN 3 are prime examples of why box office has been on a downward trend. Studios need to get some originality instead of always going for the "brand."

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
      Movies like this and TAKEN 3 are prime examples of why box office has been on a downward trend.
      It's made almost $200 million world wide and TAKEN 3 will make $200 million easy. Neither are record breakers by any means, but they've done well enough that they're not the reason for a downward trend in BO. (Deodorant is the reason BO is down.)

Actually, given the films that were released in January and what's slated for this year, 2015 should be a record breaking year in terms of box office, both domestically and worldwide.

Comment

I don't know how anyone could go into the theatre to watch this and expect some sort of brand new, never before seen original story to appear before their eyes.

It was what it was and it delivered on it's promise from the trailers. That's it.

Comment

I stand corrected on both fronts: Yes, those movies (Equalizer and Taken 3) both made money and they did deliver what they promised. With that said, if you're an aspiring screenwriter with original (and lower budget) stories you'd like to tell and sell, you should hope that one day studios do start to produce more specs like the ones you might be writing. Unless you're already established and have a top agent, chances are slim to none that you'll be hired to adapt an old TV series to the screen or write a big budget sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by evan_g View Post
            I don't know how anyone could go into the theatre to watch this and expect some sort of brand new, never before seen original story to appear before their eyes.
            I agree. It's funny how all of these stories, from the beginning of time, has the hero fight the bad, "bad guy" in the final scene. Doesn't matter if it's Hopalong Cassidy, Batman or the Equalizer.

Comment

I stand corrected on both fronts: Yes, those movies (Equalizer and Taken 3) both made money and they did deliver what they promised. With that said, if you're an aspiring screenwriter with original (and lower budget) stories you'd like to tell and sell, you should hope that one day studios do start to produce more specs like the ones you might be writing. Unless you're already established and have a top agent, chances are slim to none that you'll be hired to adapt an old TV series to the screen or write a big budget sequel.
              I don't even know what this means. Unoriginal, big budget action films are preventing screenwriters with low budget, "unique" stories from becoming successful?
              "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Furious, my comment/clarification speaks for itself. Why don't you go ahead and write a big budget thriller on spec and report back here when you sell it? Prove me wrong.

Comment

Furious, my comment/clarification speaks for itself. Why don't you go ahead and write a big budget thriller on spec and report back here when you sell it? Prove me wrong.
                  Occam's Razor: The simplest answer is usually the most correct. I'm not going to blame Denzel, Liam, or the guy who was on the grassy knoll. If your specs aren't selling, it's because they aren't "good" enough.
                  "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Like Taken, this movie was just okay to me. Nothing fresh. Same stuff you've seen in almost every other action movie. Denzel was solid as usual.

I heard they're trying to make a franchise out of this...I can wait for the sequels to come on HBO or Netflix.
                    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Working...
                    X