Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Script Deals
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
lostfootage
Regular

Default Thirtysomething Reboot

Earlier today I was in the shower and I had this thought -- it's really time for them to reboot Thirtysomething. I can see them doing a version with millennials doing parenthood, blah blah blah. Then I log in here and see this:

Thirtysomething
Logline: Revolves around Elliot Weston & Nancy Krieger Weston's and Michael Steadman & Hope Murdoch Steadman's children, who are now 30-something themselves.

Haha! Ha.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
finalact4

Default Re: Thirtysomething Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
Earlier today I was in the shower and I had this thought -- it's really time for them to reboot Thirtysomething. I can see them doing a version with millennials doing parenthood, blah blah blah. Then I log in here and see this:

Thirtysomething
Logline: Revolves around Elliot Weston & Nancy Krieger Weston's and Michael Steadman & Hope Murdoch Steadman's children, who are now 30-something themselves.

Haha! Ha.
Swear, I had this exact same thought this week.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:51 PM   #3
Bono

I never saw this show, but I feel like I would have loved it if I saw it the last 10 years or so....
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
JoeBanks

i watched thirtysomething pretty religiously toward the end of its original run. although the show started out the way it was stereotyped -- whiny, self-absorbed white boomers talking about their first-world problems -- it opened up into some pretty compelling stuff later on. basically when Elliot and Michael lose their own ad agency and get bought out by Miles Drentell, it got pretty good. really it was Zwick and Herskovitz using advertising as a metaphor for the television industry to **** on network TV and the executives (even as they were getting tons of shitty notes from ABC to try and boost the ratings!). not all of it has aged tremendously well but it's also important to remember in the context of mid-80s network landscape, there was NOTHING like this on the air to that point. Bochco had pushed the envelope some with Hill Street Blues and LA Law and St. Elsewhere had done the same for medical dramas. but mostly it was Steven Cannell-style junk. the follow up that Z&H made (after exec producing My So Called Life), Once and Again was much better. criminally underrated and underseen, like most of them

(assuming this sequel does go to series, i'd KILL to write for it so if anyone has an in with Ed or Marshall, feel free to PM me)
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:52 PM   #5
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
i watched thirtysomething pretty religiously toward the end of its original run. although the show started out the way it was stereotyped -- whiny, self-absorbed white boomers talking about their first-world problems -- it opened up into some pretty compelling stuff later on. basically when Elliot and Michael lose their own ad agency and get bought out by Miles Drentell, it got pretty good. really it was Zwick and Herskovitz using advertising as a metaphor for the television industry to **** on network TV and the executives (even as they were getting tons of shitty notes from ABC to try and boost the ratings!). not all of it has aged tremendously well but it's also important to remember in the context of mid-80s network landscape, there was NOTHING like this on the air to that point. Bochco had pushed the envelope some with Hill Street Blues and LA Law and St. Elsewhere had done the same for medical dramas. but mostly it was Steven Cannell-style junk. the follow up that Z&H made (after exec producing My So Called Life), Once and Again was much better. criminally underrated and underseen, like most of them

(assuming this sequel does go to series, i'd KILL to write for it so if anyone has an in with Ed or Marshall, feel free to PM me)
Yes! I recall watching it religiously even though I was a young teen. It did capture the Zeitgeist of the time. I would also kill to write for it! I think this reboot can really work -- doing the generational divide thing with a new crop of parents/professionals in their 30s, dealing with the boomer parents giving advice that maybe isn't aging well. Etc.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post

...it opened up into some pretty compelling stuff later on. basically when Elliot and Michael lose their own ad agency and get bought out by Miles Drentell, it got pretty good.

... in the context of mid-80s network landscape, there was NOTHING like this on the air to that point.
Miles Drentell!! Yes -- he was always speaking in these weird parables, crushing them while they' were trying to keep their jobs. It was truly compelling.

I feel like A Million Little Things is trying to be thirtysomething right now, at least with its vibe of a group of adult friends set up, but I've only seen a few episodes of it.

I thought Susannah added a good layer in, since none of them liked her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109i42MdAzI
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #7
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Swear, I had this exact same thought this week.
That's pretty Zeitgeist-y.

P.S. I love that word.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
TigerFang

Quote:

Thirtysomething

Haha! Ha.

Whoa, dude! Apparently, intersecting ley lines cross at your shower, which gives you prescient knowledge of Hollywood deals! Whoa! What an opportunity for you! You are sitting on a virtual gold mine! Now, if you are a red-blooded, capitalist U.S. citizen, you will exploit this and capitalize on it somehow! Whoa, Nelly!

Edited to add: The title needs an update, too, I think: “30-Something: The Next Generation.” “30-Something: The Descendants.”

For some odd reason, the title suggestions above sound familiar. Hmm. Well, I don’t know what, but it will need something besides the same title.

Last edited by TigerFang : 10-06-2019 at 02:05 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #9
finalact4

Quote:
That's pretty Zeitgeist-y.

P.S. I love that word.
great word.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #10
lostfootage
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Whoa, dude! Apparently, intersecting ley lines cross at your shower, which gives you prescient knowledge of Hollywood deals! Whoa! What an opportunity for you! You are sitting on a virtual gold mine! Now, if you are a red-blooded, capitalist U.S. citizen, you will exploit this and capitalize on it somehow! Whoa, Nelly!

Edited to add: The title needs an update, too, I think: “30-Something: The Next Generation.” “30-Something: The Descendants.”

For some odd reason, the title suggestions above sound familiar. Hmm. Well, I don’t know what, but it will need something besides the same title.
Your sarcasm aside, one of my stupid powers is having a sixth sense of what's coming next days/weeks/months before it becomes a thing. I just haven't been able to execute fast enough on my ideas to make them viable.