Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2019, 03:41 AM   #11
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: When you query ...

1) I’d say it doesn’t matter what the submission is. It’s always “Who knows if they’ll get to it?” With a read request I’d try exactly twice. Send one query then move on and forget about it (spread sheet may come in handy here). If you hear nothing in 2 months try again. If you hear nothing agin in another 2 months, they either 1) Never saw it and never will [SPAM FILTER]. 2) Saw it and didn’t like the logline and silently passed (Literally reps get hundreds of queries a day). At that point. Move on. Try with a different script later. Like I’ve mentioned, there’s some (MANY!) reps who NEVER read queries… EVER. Just how they operate.

But you have the PERFECT script for them! You’ve done your research, it’s in their wheelhouse. They still don’t care. Let’s say they happen to see your logline in the header and think “Meh… Sounds kinda interesting.” There’s many mid/higher up reps who will still not read it and think “I’ll wait… if someone refers this to me later and vouches for it, I’ll maybe read it then.” The reason is: Some of these reps already have enough business. Full rosters of people making money. Slammed with awesome material they can’t sell. They hate wasting time (See: year end bonus). Agents, for example, have managers across town begging them to take on their VETTED clients and the agents are still like “Nah… not quite perfect/hot enough, just not passionate ENOUGH, come back after you get them hot and I’ll consider it.”

Researching reps is HARD. Most of them have ZERO credits, save for maybe a “THANKS” cred here and there. My ex has sold, what, 3 hit films and 2 hit TV shows? ZERO credits on IMDB. So, yeah, researching reps is difficult. I’d work backwards, figure out what writers you dig then figure out who reps them. But, then you run into the problem of “Their roster is maybe full of THAT kind of writer.”

Hence, this whole thing is a mindfukk.

Yup, you may be a superstar in your chosen field, but Hollywood (MOSTLY) doesn’t care. I won’t pretend that it’s not difficult to find that champion of your work. It’s incredibly difficult. When you hear the big writers talk about their problems, ignore that aspect. For the rest of us it’s brutal, even with reps. The “cream rising” meh… myth. The truth is that right now it’s ALMOST impossible. Almost. Go into it with that knowledge and your expectations will be calibrated correctly.

IMDb is not accurate as to who reps whom. I was on IMDb pro years ago and looked up my ex. It was highly inaccurate as to who she repped. Meaning, most of who she repped wasn’t listed. Do NOT trust IMDb to know who reps whom.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-19-2019, 03:52 AM   #12
GucciGhostXXX

To add: Yeah don't follow up if you hear silence on a query. They'll block your email. Promise!

The only time to follow up is if there has been some business discussed (contract of the minds, ya know?).

But, understand that REPS have to follow up with producers and sh!t (on our behalf) because those people will ghost our reps TOO! I've had many a call where the rep's like "Yeah, Idk what's going on with them, lemme follow up." But, I already know it's a pass. People don't like saying "No!" They'd rather just ghost.

The A-LIST producer I mentioned: I don't know for sure, but my hunch (and based on the way he laid out the story) is that he did NOT follow up. He took it as a silent pass. Admittedly, I found that fukking shocking that ANYONE would ghost him (and that he was admitting that to me) but they did. So he moved on.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #13
Merrick
User

Ouch, but all understandable. Thank you for all the info.

Kinda hilarious cause in my businesses, it's the clients that are usually abusive. Even unpopular ones. It's industry that is generally really supportive of one another.

A "no" is good, but frankly, I can imagine a lot of people don't take "no" well. The rep doesn't wanna deal with those people that flip their **** and argue. I've given "no"s in my business before many times, and some people won't stop e-mailing and begging. I've also given "maybes" and when people e-mail relentlessly to convince me, it usually also turns into a "no." So I get it.

Well, I'll just do my best. At the end of the day, I could squeeze the budget crazy tight and crowdfund it, but it's not my ultimate goal. Or grants, there's always grants. I'm a triple national, so that helps.

Thank you!
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #14
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick View Post
Wait a sec, does IMDb Pro list who agents/managers are currently repping. Are you all signed up to that?

Light bulb just went off in my head.
yes, it does. you have to pay for it. i think it's $29.99 a month.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
yes, it does. you have to pay for it. i think it's $29.99 a month.
Actually, no it doesn't. It may list some, but it's incomplete and often outdated. FWIW.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #16
AnyOtherName
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Actually, no it doesn't. It may list some, but it's incomplete and often outdated. FWIW.
Yup. And is it just me, or is Studio System not much better these days? I really don't get how they think they can justify that price tag.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #17
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
Yup. And is it just me, or is Studio System not much better these days? I really don't get how they think they can justify that price tag.
As a former employee, I can assure you it was never really that great.

That said, it was always better than IMDB Pro.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #18
Merrick
User

I got a "very interested" read request from a producer who has worked on many of the biggest films in my genre.

So, to keep me in check, how often do read requests turn into no replies or rejections. It must be like 98% of the time, right?

So far, I think I've only sent 3 or 4 queries.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #19
Bono

100%. Now you have no pressure. Congrats on the request. Assume it's always a no. I mean they only read the logline correct?

How long is the script now?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:14 PM   #20
Merrick
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
100%.
Okay, great. I will abandon all hope.

It's 139. I will probably do a soft future revision on it. But I wanted to go out with it now and see how it fares. I figure everyone's gonna have notes, and I can tailor it to a specific person or people if interest arises, rather than constantly tinkering.