Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #41
Bono

Default Re: Formerly Repped

either way I don't except to hear back. that's just the way it is. the silent pass.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #42
Bono

All I know for sure is writers in general are too scared to take chances. We will all be dead soon. Sometimes you will piss people off, but if you just sit there and wait for life to happen -- well it doesn't.

If our climate tells us anything the loudest A$$hole usually wins the fight. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

Got to be your own best rep. Market yourself.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #43
Hernan Giaggio
User

We seem like we're in somewhat similar places, Bono.

I'm trying to utilize some wins/placements (Nicholl semis got me repped in the past, so maybe I can use it to jump to a new lily pad), but I'm so in my head about who to reach out to and when. I had a phoner with a manager who is killing it right now. He said he loved it, wanted to sign me, but then I haven't heard from him in a bit. Do I reach out? Do I coast, play it cool? I've gotten different pieces of advice on this.

Hollywood ain't the best for neurotics (not calling you one, just me).
Hernan Giaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #44
Bono

No offense taking. I'm Jewish. Anxiety and over thinking is our brand. That happens when most people in the world blame you for everything and want to kill you, and the industry you run won't let you play ball with them! How can I not be insane???

If you had a phone call with a rep -- not sure where you left that -- but I'd follow up. Was their something he or she told you to do.

PM if you want to talk dirty in private.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #45
EdFury

I had one manager for years. We got along great. He called me as much as I called him. I wrote, he sent out. He never had notes, which I never wanted from him. He got me OWAs... Then.... he got the producer bug. And everything changed. When I forbid him attaching to any of my project unless he brought money, which he didn't, it went downhill further... and we parted ways. Instigated by me. It was sad. We once had an amazing relationship.

I got another manager right away and it was a complete mismatch from the get go. I never mentioned the old manager or anything that happened. Let my writing speak for me. I don't think looking back, except for talking about successes, does you any good.

The new manager lasted a couple of months until he read my latest spec and said, "Great script. Too low budget. I can't make enough money from it." Fired the next day.

Decided to take a break from reps while I endured surgery and chemotherapy (in remission now, thank You God) and then.... my old manager called with a OWA he thought I was perfect for and by osmosis we were back. I got the job. He hasn't said a word about producing and he's getting my stuff out and me back in rooms. Like the break up never happened.

Finding the right rep is so hard. Keeping a good one is difficult. I thought I had done my homework on the second one and nope, completely wrong. I do know that a recommendation from a producer or director helps a lot. Is there any way you can go back to producers who have optioned in the past and see if they can help?

I got both those managers and my now fired agent from referrals. I got the referrals because I called people I knew, and some not that well, asked for them. Never hurts to ask. Beats the hell out of querying.

Last edited by EdFury : 08-24-2019 at 09:46 PM.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #46
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernan Giaggio View Post
Do I reach out? Do I coast, play it cool? I've gotten different pieces of advice on this.

Hollywood ain't the best for neurotics (not calling you one, just me).
I'd reach back out. Why not?

But, I think Hollywood should be fully aware that we're all nutz by now. I've never meet a sane writer who's GOOD!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #47
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
I had one manager for years. We got along great. He called me as much as I called him. I wrote, he sent out. He never had notes, which I never wanted from him. He got me OWAs... Then.... he got the producer bug. And everything changed. When I forbid him attaching to any of my project unless he brought money, which he didn't, it went downhill further... and we parted ways. Instigated by me. It was sad. We once had an amazing relationship.

I got another manager right away and it was a complete mismatch from the get go. I never mentioned the old manager or anything that happened. Let my writing speak for me. I don't think looking back, except for talking about successes, does you any good.

The new manager lasted a couple of months until he read my latest spec and said, "Great script. Too low budget. I can't make enough money from it." Fired the next day.

Decided to take a break from reps while I endured surgery and chemotherapy (in remission now, thank You God) and then.... my old manager called with a OWA he thought I was perfect for and by osmosis we were back. I got the job. He hasn't said a word about producing and he's getting my stuff out and me back in rooms. Like the break up never happened.

Finding the right rep is so hard. Keeping a good one is difficult. I thought I had done my homework on the second one and nope, completely wrong. I do know that a recommendation from a producer or director helps a lot. Is there any way you can go back to producers who have optioned in the past and see if they can help?

I got both those managers and my now fired agent from referrals. I got the referrals because I called people I knew, and some not that well, asked for them. Never hurts to ask. Beats the hell out of querying.
Interesting chain of events...

Agreed, referrals are probably the way to go if you can. I tried to get a new rep (last time) without referrals, being stubborn. Finally said F' this BS, got a new rep quickly using the referral.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #48
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Interesting chain of events...

Agreed, referrals are probably the way to go if you can. I tried to get a new rep (last time) without referrals, being stubborn. Finally said F' this BS, got a new rep quickly using the referral.
Yep. It doesn't hurt to ask people you know. All they can say is no. I sat in a conference room with the head of production company once I'd done a couple rewrite jobs for, before I had an agent.... and asked him for a referral to one. To which he answered, "Nope. Can't."

I asked why and he said, "Then I'd have to share you." So, a rejection and a compliment at the same time. I called another producer a week later and got the referral... I still work occasionally for the first guy...
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #49
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
Yep. It doesn't hurt to ask people you know. All they can say is no. I sat in a conference room with the head of production company once I'd done a couple rewrite jobs for, before I had an agent.... and asked him for a referral to one. To which he answered, "Nope. Can't."

I asked why and he said, "Then I'd have to share you." So, a rejection and a compliment at the same time. I called another producer a week later and got the referral... I still work occasionally for the first guy...
Ha! Right? Worst they can say is "Nah..." To which I'd say "Okay... no worries, man."

But, good story of things working out for you!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #50
Bono

When talking to a new rep -- maybe even when they are interested in repping you or better become your rep -- how much of the past should you reveal? I have so many projects that I still find sellable, but you also don't want to give them "here's 5 terrible scripts" and have them think you suck now after they got excited by your new stuff. It's such a hard line to walk I feel...