Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Wallman
New User

Unhappy How to build some heat?

Hey everyone.

At a bit of a loss here, got a new pilot that my manager is sending out, it's been a few weeks now and haven't heard zip, albeit my manager's been swamped because of the ATA stuff and I'm def not their top priority client -- but I've been assured it's gone out to a number of legit production companies.

Simultaneously, I've also been sending it out, both via the WGA platform (requesting generals) and contacts from previous generals/networking. Those have been more recent (like started sending those out last week and this one). But haven't heard much back on this front either...

Anyway, I know waiting is part of the game, but I'm going stir crazy and trying not to spin out. Really though this pilot would be the gamechanger I needed -- it's been getting consistently good reviews from peers and got a couple of shoutouts on Twitter from upper-levels for the solidarity challenge.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there anything I can do to help build heat? Get some traction? Did I miss the boat for this development season? I'm down for staffing too, but no opportunities have emerged on that front either.

Yeah, so that's where I'm at today. How's everyone else?
Wallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Satriales
User

Default Re: How to build some heat?

The pace of reads from prodcos and agencies has slowed significantly on the feature side in my experience over the last six months. Itís getting kinda ridiculous. Frustrating as hell, I feel ya.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
Wallman
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
The pace of reads from prodcos and agencies has slowed significantly on the feature side in my experience over the last six months. Itís getting kinda ridiculous. Frustrating as hell, I feel ya.
That's both reassuring and discouraging lol. Appreciate the commiseration!
Old 10-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
finalact4

did you ask for a submission list from your manager?

good that you're sending it out to your contacts too. i was at a panel and Henry Jones, i believe it was, says he's constantly hustling his own work along side with his reps.

when you go to meetings do you get business cards? create a list of emails for go to people you've met or worked for the past.

i'm not sure how this season is progressing but i heard from another writer friend that not a lot of people aren't/weren't even reading in TV because of the ATA/WGA dispute and there's been nothing new to report.

sure hope something breaks with that soon, but doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon.

i found that by going to Austin you can meet a lot of writers who can help just by networking and creating a solid new relationship with them. next year i'll do far better than this year, because i know what to expect.

if you're in LA, which you most likely are if you have a pilot that's gone out, i saw on twitter that a writer was working on getting a "happy hour" meet up with writers interested. i think those are really great ways to connect with other writers.

i would keep looking for ways to get your work read. don't stop, pause or become complacent. you're working on your next project, too, right?

there has to be panels and conferences in LA, maybe? right?

good luck. times are tough. work on your next project.
FA4
Old 10-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Wallman
New User

Right on. Thanks for the advice.

I really do have to get better at tracking my meetings and contacts, and not just giving my manager all my agency. That was partly the impetus for working my own relationships. So easy to ask for a business card and yet I never remember to do so! Good looking out.

Otherwise, yeah, I hit up a lot of the WGA panels and events, meet some good folks there, try to do the mixers and random group meetings that pop up every now and then, but they're exhausting for sure.

And yeah, working on new stuff, always be writing, right? Got a potential development thing, new media shorts, that I might spend some time on, if only for the distraction and to keep busy (assuming the exec responds to the pitch).

But overall, I'm feeling a little better, had a chance to check in with the manager and my stuff is getting out there, just have to sit tight apparently. No passes yet, not that she tells me about all of them, getting a submission list is something I could ask, but in general not something they do, but I do get the phone updates with select mentions from time to time.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
MargoChanning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
I agree. Been getting crickets, compared to "how it was."
MargoChanning is offline   Reply With Quote