Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
Geoff Alexander

Default Re: New Line looking for comedies

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDeep View Post
Y'all know the drill:

I submitted a script. It may never get read. It may get read in a few months. It may get read, but I never hear anything about it. I may never be introduced to anyone else at New Line.

But, then again, I might.

What I have is a way to bypass the need to query (my friend), the same reason I get to bypass the "no unsolicited scripts" rule. And the same person provides me with a direct way to ask "did it get read" that is more motivated than a receptionist or associate who wouldn't want to bother.

AND I'm a network-a-holic. There's intrinsic value in building a social web and doing favors for people. Whatever information I get, when I get it, that's best to share, I will.

Success,
InDeep
So does that mean that you're going to refer people to your contact at New Line, or does it mean you're going to tell people the name of the exec so they can cold call? If it's the former, good on ya', if it's the latter, they may as well start cold calling all the development folks over there. That's my point, Phatgirl, it's not a response to you, it's just a comment on the difference between "information" that isn't really information and information that one can act on.

It's like saying, hey, I just submitted a script to Silver and I want to share with everyone that they're looking for action. Of course they are. How does this help other people?

Good luck on the New Line submission, In Deep, I hope something comes of it.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
phatgirl

Hey SB, I was just kidding. No offense taken. I know the names we pass around generally aren't any more helpful than a cold query. Most people here don't have the clout to "personally refer" other writers, but it's always worth a shot to try and get your script out there.
phatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
InDeep

In any event - you're right. Folks should be querying and pitching on their own, anyway. This is just one, tiny, possible (and unlikely) avenue of approach. No one should be waiting for this guy on a bulletin board who knows someone at New Line. That would be folly.

My relationship with production folks at New Line is NONEXISTENT at this point. I don't know if/when/what it will be. I certainly wouldn't refer scripts or people that I'm unfamiliar with. So, if you wanted me to refer you, I would have to a) gain equity there and b) like your stuff. So, not a path for the impatient.

AND I wouldn't share contact information at a time when doing so would be damaging to my relationship/chances there. See a) above.

What you need to hear is that I'm a tenacious group player. I will plug away until I get to someone, somewhere, and then I will ask questions, lots of them. I will share everything I can (see my response to somebody's post about New Wave entertainment).

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=29642

InDeep
InDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
Geoff Alexander

[quote=InDeep;362924]In any event - you're right. Folks should be querying and pitching on their own, anyway. This is just one, tiny, possible (and unlikely) avenue of approach. No one should be waiting for this guy on a bulletin board who knows someone at New Line. That would be folly.

My relationship with production folks at New Line is NONEXISTENT at this point. I don't know if/when/what it will be. I certainly wouldn't refer scripts or people that I'm unfamiliar with. So, if you wanted me to refer you, I would have to a) gain equity there and b) like your stuff. So, not a path for the impatient.

AND I wouldn't share contact information at a time when doing so would be damaging to my relationship/chances there. See a) above.<<

Yes, the above was my point exactly. I'm not asking for a referal to NL, btw, we already have a movie with them, but thanks.

>>What you need to hear is that I'm a tenacious group player. I will plug away until I get to someone, somewhere, and then I will ask questions, lots of them. I will share everything I can (see my response to somebody's post about New Wave entertainment).<<

Which is great. Tenacity is the name of the game.

Oh yeah, and genius. Or competence. Or something in between.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
InDeep

So, I'm told that my script has been circulated at NEW LINE and that my friend would "check on the coverage" for me.

Waiting, impatiently, checking in, filled with hope, ready for nothing.

I uncovered a similar connection at MIRAMAX, where, though they don't normally accept unsolicited material from a writer without representation, they would send to me the submission forms.

And, because of an earlier submission to NEW WAVE ENTERTAINMENT, I HAD their submission form, and used it to submit this same script. When I called 2 days ago I was told it was "going through the departments."

Success,

InDeep
Old 06-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #16
InDeep

SBScript, you said in your reply "we already have a movie with them (New Line)."

Care to elaborate on "we" and "have a movie with them"?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #17
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDeep View Post
SBScript, you said in your reply "we already have a movie with them (New Line)."

Care to elaborate on "we" and "have a movie with them"?
My company has a movie with them, i.e., my partner (before he was my partner) set up a film with them a while back. It was stalled for a while but is reactive.