Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
DavidK

Default Re: Really Stupid Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
Seems like it would be nearly impossible.
Mission impossible, n'est pas?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
wcmartell

When his company was at Paramount I had 3 meetings with them on projects. It's not impossible at all. They read a script, liked it, met with me, and after the second script we talked about adapting an Evan Hunter novel. Didn't happen. But there were no walls and barbed wire or anything.

- Bill
Old 05-01-2010, 06:55 AM   #13
BuckarooBanzai
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogtown13 View Post
And here I was tempted to just make bad jokes to amuse myself, but instead I gave you a real answer. Hence, likely a waste of my time.
Just because I dream doesn't mean I don't know when I'm dreaming. After all, I did say it was a stupid question. But, I wound up getting an answer that can help me, which means it wasn't a stupid question afterall, and not such a waste of time as you'd feared. You put up a long, thoughtful post - gave me, me a complete unknown, a few minutes of your time. Damn, but that means a lot, no lie.

Gratiae pro vestri vicis.

Last edited by BuckarooBanzai : 05-01-2010 at 07:23 AM.
BuckarooBanzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
Twofingeredtypist

Cruise was once involved with Michael Mann's The Few which is about the pilots who flew Spitfires and Hurricanes- the planes which changed WWII...

Last edited by Twofingeredtypist : 05-01-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: dissed the 'Cane
Twofingeredtypist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
NikeeGoddess
User

here's a really fantastic answer to your stupid question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai View Post
It's a War Movie about how the P-51 Mustang changed WWII. (Fascinating story.) I didn't write it for him but during the research I discovered that he owns and flies his own personal P-51 Mustang. People who own these beautiful warbirds are obsessed with them. It's the perfect script for Mr. Cruise but he'll never see it. Though I will try his agent - sigh...
call his agent and leave the message that you accidentally scratched tom's P-51. you left a note on the plane but were not sure when he was going to fly again.

then hang out by the airport where he keeps his plane and wait for him to show up. then make your move. tell him how you need P-51s for your next movie project and you saw his WOW!!! it's perfect!

if he gets angry then just tell him he should be happy because his P-51 has not been scratched.

if he doesn't appreciate the guts you have to pull something like that then there's something really wrong with him. well, there IS something wrong with him but... who cares? he's can sell a movie.

and if he says, tell your agent to send it over then it should be easy to find an agent if you can legitimately tell them that tom is waiting for your script.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
BuckarooBanzai
User

Quote:
The punch-line is this: Despite our meetings, neither of us attached the Class-A star to our projects. Hence, the walls lined with barbed wire that are inherent in this business.
But you're going to keep doing it anyway. Because you love it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you don't give up. Ever. Which isn't saying I won't drop THIS project and start ANOTHER project. Just so you know, this isn't my first project, or my second, or even my third, and I know about the barbed wire. I've got the scars to prove it. I've just been trying to scale the wrong fence.

So, anybody know where Tom goes to church? I heard he flies his Mustang to service and I kind of like NikeeGodesses idea. Either that or a rec for an agent. Beats the heck out of blind query.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
So, anybody know where Tom goes to church?
i've driven past that church. it's an incredible mansion that was built in the 20's i believe. check it out:
http://www.scientology.cc/en_US/index.html
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #18
wcmartell

Quote:
But how did you and I get those meetings in the first place? Our fancy agents, yes? Wasn't a blind query from an unsolicited e-mail to the prodco nor to the "star's" agent, we went through the proper avenues.
No - I do not have an agent fancy or otherwise - and have not since I foolishly fired the worst agent in Hollywood when I made my first sale.

Every script I have sold, every script that got made - all were without agent or manager. Many were snail-mail queries, some were cold calls (which I hate), many were scripts passed to companies by somebody else.

The 80s hit remake thing I wrote last year (which seems to be stalled out now) was from someone being passed something of mine years ago and remembering it and tracking me down.

There are no walls.

(Of course, the pickle you get yourself into is that when you have no agent, agents do not seem to want you - kind of like when you don't have a girlfriend women don't seem to be interested, but if you have a girlfriend all of these women come out of the woodwork. So do not make my "mistake" - when you are popular, act on it.)

But my job is not casting - and I have no idea who will star in any script I write - I always imagine the worst, because Seth Rogen is playing The Green Hornet, right? Casting is what happens after the script sells, my job is just to get the script sold to a company that will actually make the movie and not just talk about making movies (I also had a meeting or two with that company Sean Connery sued for not actually making movies - just developing scripts). Going through an actor's production company is an okay plan - but that doesn't mean that actor will ever be attached to the script.

So I wouldn't look at which actor would be best in the script, I'd look at what production company makes similar films and target them with queries or a cold call. And without an agent or manager the script must sell itself and open doors by itself.

Quote:
Don't forget how many years of blood sweat and tears equity went into your meeting with his company.
That's the thing new writers often miss - and, to name drop, Jack Nicholson once told me that it took him 15 years to become an overnight success - from CRY BABY KILLER to EASY RIDER.

There's instant mashed potatoes but seldom an instant film career.

- Bill
Old 05-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #19
DavidK

Quote:
I've met with Plan-B and they told me what Brad likes in a script. In fact, they took a call from Brad while I was sitting there...
Dude, if we were having a beer and you said that, I'd laugh and say "Man, my bullshit radar is twitching. Go figure." I can't help it. Bryan Lourd and Oliver Stone told me to beware namedroppers.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
BuckarooBanzai
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post
So I wouldn't look at which actor would be best in the script, I'd look at what production company makes similar films and target them with queries or a cold call. And without an agent or manager the script must sell itself and open doors by itself.
You know, theres actually no part for TC in my screenplay. He's too old to be the protagonist, too young to be the antogonist. I wasn't really ever thinking about him as the star. My dream would be for him to produce it.

You know, for writers, dreams are kind of like marriage vows which keep us honest during those periods when the flame isn't burning quite so hot - like when you've got three teenagers in the house - doh!