Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
figment

Default Netflix plans 80 movies in 2018

Netflix plans to release 80 movies in 2018.

Is it smart to sell them a script knowing the lack of attention that must happen when you have that type of production schedule?

And if it is a good idea, how can I sell to them if I'm not repped? (ha-ha).

http://deadline.com/2017/10/netflix-...em-1202191212/
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Netflix plans 80 movies in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
Netflix plans to release 80 movies in 2018.

Is it smart to sell them a script knowing the lack of attention that must happen when you have that type of production schedule?

And if it is a good idea, how can I sell to them if I'm not repped? (ha-ha).

http://deadline.com/2017/10/netflix-...em-1202191212/
champagne problems but . . . how many of these 80 would have been made through the studio system? prolly about . . . 5-10 if they're lucky?

100% of nothing is still nothing so if Netflix helps a bunch of movies come into existence on a streaming-only platform, do the filmmakers really care that they never had a theatrical release (which they never would have had otherwise)?
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #3
kintnerboy

I have a script at Netflix that was very well received (their reader gave a it a recommend and it was liked by a few execs), but unfortunately it turned into a close-but-no-cigar scenario because I am unrepped and can not get attachments on my own.

I had thought that Netflix would be some kind of outlier / alternative to the Hollywood business model, but at the end of the day they're just another studio looking for packages.
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
kintnerboy

Also, the lack of a theatrical release never really bothered me, given that Netflix is in almost 200 countries world wide. That's a heck of a jump start for a writer looking to build a global audience.

What I don't like is their resistance to releasing their movies on dvd. Seems like they're leaving a lot of money on the table there (some of which would eventually trickle down to the writer).
Old 10-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #5
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
champagne problems but . . . how many of these 80 would have been made through the studio system? prolly about . . . 5-10 if they're lucky?
Exactly, with 80 films shoved through are they even going to be coherent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintnerboy View Post
I have a script at Netflix that was very well received (their reader gave a it a recommend and it was liked by a few execs), but unfortunately it turned into a close-but-no-cigar scenario because I am unrepped and can not get attachments on my own.

I had thought that Netflix would be some kind of outlier / alternative to the Hollywood business model, but at the end of the day they're just another studio looking for packages.
This is how I viewed them as well. Sorry about your script.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Why One

Yeah Netflix operates the same system as the studio packaging system when it comes to putting movies together.

I believe their payment structure is different. As they are a subscription based streaming service and their movies are exclusive to their service and they don't generate ad revenue, there won't be any back-end residuals. You will get a larger payout upfront. I believe Max Landis got $7 million for BRIGHT.

Netflix does seem to take more risk when it comes to the type of movies they're willing to invest in, and they also appear to be less intrusive in the creative process.
Why One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
socalwriter1
Regular

kintnerboy:
Re: I have a script at Netflix that was very well received...

How did you get it into their system to begin with?
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
kintnerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwriter1 View Post
How did you get it into their system to begin with?
Perhaps the most depressing (to me) part of the whole story.

After 15 years of writing, thousands of query letters, contests, Blacklist 8's, and near-signings with reps, etc., one of my friends got a job at Netflix and slipped my script to the story dept.

Referrals are still the only real way in.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
NoNeckJoe
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintnerboy View Post
Perhaps the most depressing (to me) part of the whole story.

After 15 years of writing, thousands of query letters, contests, Blacklist 8's, and near-signings with reps, etc., one of my friends got a job at Netflix and slipped my script to the story dept.

Referrals are still the only real way in.
I'm a working writer (though still unknown and unproduced) who got started by cold querying management companies. I've managed to get some referrals over the years, but none of those ever panned out. It was only persistence at the querying game, which admittedly failed for years and years until I wrote something that didn't suck. The feature side has clearly contracted, so it's gotten to the point that you can't just write something good and expect to break in. It has to be both good and commercial to make it worth the time of reps who have been facing the same contraction.

Also, it's important to note that Netflix will physically produce very few of those 80 films they will release. The vast majority are films acquired after production, then distributed by Netflix. But by acquiring the rights to indie films, Netflix can then label them "Netflix original productions," which is a fairly deceptive practice in my opinion. They are assuming virtually none of the risk by buying completed films, and only gambling on the big packages like Bright and the Irishman, which are really risks calculated to build the brand, even if the movies lose money.
NoNeckJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:27 AM   #10
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
Also, it's important to note that Netflix will physically produce very few of those 80 films they will release. The vast majority are films acquired after production, then distributed by Netflix. But by acquiring the rights to indie films, Netflix can then label them "Netflix original productions," which is a fairly deceptive practice in my opinion. They are assuming virtually none of the risk by buying completed films, and only gambling on the big packages like Bright and the Irishman, which are really risks calculated to build the brand, even if the movies lose money.
This is correct. Those 80 films are coming pre-packaged from production companies and known producers who got those scripts from agents, managers, referrals, and networking. (I'll know next month if one of them is mine)

Netflix also LOVES writers with a pedigree. (A quote to me from a producer) Writers who have been there and done that. So those receive a big preference.

And some of those 80 films, as was said above, are coming from Netflix buying them completed at Sundance, SXSW, Cannes, Berlin, or Toronto mostly. Some they're buying from agencies like CAA, WME, or UTA, who are repping selected completed independent films heavily featuring their talent and deemed worthy of their representation. These films also hold a lot of weight.

Oh... Yes... They are mostly all low budget. One to three million dollar budgets on the prepackaged films. Like the studios, Netflix is tough for new writers, but it can be done. Best way, get a manager with your great low budget scripts and get to the production companies feeding them. And just like breaking in has always been, think in terms of multiple years to do it.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote