Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #131
figment

Default Re: Nicholl 2019

2019 Winners are listed. No loglines as of yet.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...owship-1245519
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #132
GucciGhostXXX

Eesh... I hate to be a d!ck but here goes. (Maybe Bono is rubbing off on me... Ha!)

...but, I mean, c'mon... it's like they used a Nicholl title generator to name these.

I hate to say bad sh!t about fellow writers so I'ma stop right there and retract that comment, cuz hey, WHATEVER THE FUKK IT TAKES! Right? I can't fault that.

However, I can fault the process. Sorry, Nicholl for me is way to pretentious to give a fukk. Yes, I know, there's a million reasons why I'm wrong. But, they are PASSING on perfectly (HUGELY!) marketable scripts ONLY because they're a bunch'a bitter, d!ck writers looking to punish writers who actually thought of something super fukkin high concept and PULLED IT OFF on the page. Why is that dude's ("dude"... not gender specific) script NEVER the winner?

Your big idea that would land you 5 gazillion meetings across town with the biggest tastemakers? Nah, you're DEAD in Nicholl round one. It's not "SWEET" enough for them. It's not socially relevant as some 12 year old chick in Kentucky makeing mud sculptures in a town of 100 that makes everyone smile. Swear to god, I could see that shitty concept winning.

John Wick wouldn't make it past round 1. Yet... it's a fukkin FRANCHISE.

Yeah? Hollywood wants "Mudhoney" (actually that's not a long enough title) over "John Wick"? HAAAAA! You're funny.

Nicholl feels like a pretentious clothing designer show where the winner designs clothes that look like trash bags that no one would ever wear, yet the designer has a neat story of growing up homeless (Cue the standing ovation! This is the "pat yourself on the back for being a humanitarian" moment.)

Writers shouldn't be OVER LOOKED based on having RAD ideas that are far more intune with what AUDIENCES (remember them?) want to see. You've got to be fukking kidding me. The whole thing has become too 'pat' for me to give a fukk. To the point where I'm convinced writers are TARGETING Nicholl with specific "Nicholl Friendly" material.

And if any of you guys won, then I take it all back. HA!
Old 10-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #133
Max Otto Schrenck
Regular

That said, Street Rat Allie Punches Her Ticket is a great title...

For a book of bad pomes and/or short stories.
Max Otto Schrenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #134
GucciGhostXXX

Lemme explain my gripe:

If you are THE most visible contest, yet you are ***excluding*** certain (HIGHLY TALENTED/VIABLE) writers based on them being too COMMERCIAL...

...Ummmm, ain't that definition of fukkin stupid? The only way those skilled writers can win is to NOT (NOT????) write sh!t Hollywood wants to make? Dude... WHAT????

I super don't get it.

(MORE)

I don't trust this bullsh!t FAKE WOKE-NESS on the Oscar stage during their fake woke speeches nor in screenplay contests. Sorry. The truth is something far different.

(AND)

If you actually tell the truth in a screenplay about say, race. Guess what happens.... people get scared. "Can we say that?" Dude, I just fukkin said it.

I'm gonna enter my racial (feature) screenplay into Nicholl next year. Just to prove my point to MYSELF that it's a hoax. I already know the out come. I won't make it past round 1. My stories are socially relevant, but they're often ugly. Nicholl doesn't like social relevance if it's ugly, only if it's "SWEET."

POINT: Nicholl needs to stop pretending they are helping writers TELL THE TRUTH. Bullsh!t... they are helping writers get eyes on super small feel good movies.

Nothing wrong with that. But, just be honest about all the lines drawn in the sand and therefore the BOX writers have to fit into to have any chance of winning.

--RANT ACCOMPLISHED--
Old 10-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #135
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
That said, Street Rat Allie Punches Her Ticket is a great title...

For a book of bad pomes and/or short stories.
Could be a completely rad script. Not trying to slam the writer....
Old 10-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #136
GucciGhostXXX

I wanna say this too:

Here's why it pisses me off (The Nicholl puffery): Because there's some writer out there (MANY) who fukking KILLED their script (the good kill) they send it into Nicholl and don't make it past round 1. Many of them likely think "Dang it... thought I killed it. Maybe I'm not good?" Meanwhile, the dude may be holding a franchise flick in their hands.

Fukk that! Go around Nicholl, send it straight to Hollywood if you're positive you nailed it! I promise you this, my script HYBRID would have done ZERO at Nicholl, but who cares if I'm sitting in the office of someone with the Bat-Mobile outside their office door.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:40 PM   #137
nguyensquared
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
I wanna say this too:

Here's why it pisses me off (The Nicholl puffery): Because there's some writer out there (MANY) who fukking KILLED their script (the good kill) they send it into Nicholl and don't make it past round 1. Many of them likely think "Dang it... thought I killed it. Maybe I'm not good?" Meanwhile, the dude may be holding a franchise flick in their hands.

Fukk that! Go around Nicholl, send it straight to Hollywood if you're positive you nailed it! I promise you this, my script HYBRID would have done ZERO at Nicholl, but who cares if I'm sitting in the office of someone with the Bat-Mobile outside their office door.
I remember reading somewhere that the Nicholl's mission isn't necessarily to find great writing, but to find great writers (who can potentially be groomed into writing those bigger franchise tent pole movies).

Congratulations to all the Nicholl winners this year. I've read some of Karen McDermott's work and really enjoy her writing. Glad to see it's paying off for her!
nguyensquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #138
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyensquared View Post
I remember reading somewhere that the Nicholl's mission isn't necessarily to find great writing, but to find great writers (who can potentially be groomed into writing those bigger franchise tent pole movies).

Congratulations to all the Nicholl winners this year. I've read some of Karen McDermott's work and really enjoy her writing. Glad to see it's paying off for her!
Gotcha. But then why pass on writers who have already proven (the script they just read) that they can do it?

I mean, I kinda get it cuz Hollywood does the same sh!t: You write a flick about the guy who invented toilet paper and they like you for a Superman reboot. So... yeah.

But I don't super get it: What about set pieces, fresh ones, that's a specific skill. If I read John Wick as a spec and Toiletpaper-Man, I'm hiring the John Wick dude to write a super hero movie. But, that's not how Hollywood works. So, I agree, I'm wrong.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:00 AM   #139
nguyensquared
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Gotcha. But then why pass on writers who have already proven (the script they just read) that they can do it?

I mean, I kinda get it cuz Hollywood does the same sh!t: You write a flick about the guy who invented toilet paper and they like you for a Superman reboot. So... yeah.

But I don't super get it: What about set pieces, fresh ones, that's a specific skill. If I read John Wick as a spec and Toiletpaper-Man, I'm hiring the John Wick dude to write a super hero movie. But, that's not how Hollywood works. So, I agree, I'm wrong.
I get where you're coming from and I'm with you there. It'd be great to find a writer who has amazing execution on an amazing concept. But if Nicholl (or any competition/fellowship) held their submissions to those kind of standards, likely they won't be handing out any winners at all
nguyensquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:21 AM   #140
JoeBanks

Greg Beal can correct me if I'm misremembering that quote but I think it was more in the vein of "a Nicholl winner may not always have the best 'script' in the strictest sense of the term but the committee is looking for the best 'writers'"

that is, executing Save The Cat structure flawlessly with a by-the-numbers story isn't going to be rewarded as highly as a writer who might take a bigger chance on a more compelling story even if they don't pull it off 100%
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote