Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
kdmccaskill
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 70
Default Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

1) TV Show Runner - $80,000 - $125,000 an episode

2) TV Writer - $10,000 - $30,000 an episode

3) Computer Technology - $75,000 - $110,000 a year

4) Finance - $65,000 - $150,000 a year

5) Government $40,000 - $90,000 a year
kdmccaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #2
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

6.) Stay At Home Dad -- (negative) $50,000 a year in coffee and pizza
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:29 PM   #3
GucciGhostXXX
Member
 
GucciGhostXXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

7.) Male stripper + 1 billion dollars (I meant trillion).
__________________
Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Rantanplan
Member
 
Rantanplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,528
Default Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmccaskill View Post
1) TV Show Runner - $80,000 - $125,000 an episode

2) TV Writer - $10,000 - $30,000 an episode
That is some crazy sick money. No wonder people are so desperate to get in.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

Never once thought about money when I began writing... I bet most of us didn't including you.... now I do as I would like to buy some stuff...

Just saying, yes many screenwriters in the 90s and 2000s were thinking easy $$$ -- but most writers do this out of passion. And everyone on this board (99% of us) that are still going after getting kicked in the face -- do it for that reason.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #6
docgonzo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Never once thought about money when I began writing... I bet most of us didn't including you.... now I do as I would like to buy some stuff...

Just saying, yes many screenwriters in the 90s and 2000s were thinking easy $$$ -- but most writers do this out of passion. And everyone on this board (99% of us) that are still going after getting kicked in the face -- do it for that reason.
I thought we did it because we're all f*cking nuts.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
Rantanplan
Member
 
Rantanplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,528
Default Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Never once thought about money when I began writing... I bet most of us didn't including you.... now I do as I would like to buy some stuff...

Just saying, yes many screenwriters in the 90s and 2000s were thinking easy $$$ -- but most writers do this out of passion. And everyone on this board (99% of us) that are still going after getting kicked in the face -- do it for that reason.
True, but the reason I switched back to novels is because I began to understand what "success" as a screenwriter meant in a lot of cases and that totally killed the passion for me. Anyway, yeah, I think the amount of money people make in that biz is mind-blowing and in most cases ridiculous, but good for them
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantanplan View Post
True, but the reason I switched back to novels is because I began to understand what "success" as a screenwriter meant in a lot of cases and that totally killed the passion for me. Anyway, yeah, I think the amount of money people make in that biz is mind-blowing and in most cases ridiculous, but good for them
I would love to hear what you mean. Also I didn't realize that your other thread "loving your character too much" was related to a novel. I don't think that changes my advice, but did you say that? Or was it a script.... anyway...

I've been thinking about novels because well I am 41. I need to start bringing in some money -- I am a stay at home dad, but kids getting older.

So also I know I'll never move to LA fully. East coast baby. Never wanted too, but now it would be unfair to the family and wife's job and also I really don't want to live there. I like when I visit and if I had to go out there for months, but fun, but being 3000 miles away from grandparents seems selfish dream at my age.

For some reason you need to live in LA to write scripts to have meetings that go nowhere, but novels they expect you to live anywhere in america. Makes sense right? So I do like that I'm writing from east coast and that's normal and I'm not some freak who didn't get the move to LA memo.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Bono
Member
 
Bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
I thought we did it because we're all f*cking nuts.
THAT MOST OF ALL!
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
Rantanplan
Member
 
Rantanplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,528
Default Re: Best Jobs While Waiting For The Big Break in Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I would love to hear what you mean. Also I didn't realize that your other thread "loving your character too much" was related to a novel. I don't think that changes my advice, but did you say that? Or was it a script.... anyway...

I've been thinking about novels because well I am 41. I need to start bringing in some money -- I am a stay at home dad, but kids getting older.

So also I know I'll never move to LA fully. East coast baby. Never wanted too, but now it would be unfair to the family and wife's job and also I really don't want to live there. I like when I visit and if I had to go out there for months, but fun, but being 3000 miles away from grandparents seems selfish dream at my age.

For some reason you need to live in LA to write scripts to have meetings that go nowhere, but novels they expect you to live anywhere in america. Makes sense right? So I do like that I'm writing from east coast and that's normal and I'm not some freak who didn't get the move to LA memo.

Yeah, I should have explained. What I mean is that when I was starting out, I naively thought that being a screenwriter meant selling a script and getting a movie made. I assume that's what a lot of people think going in and that's the dream; that's WHY we do it. But then, hanging around these boards, I realized that what happens more often than not if you're lucky and talented enough to move forward, is that you land a rep, who loves your script, which doesn't sell, which is now a writing sample, which may or may not land land you an assignment or which may or may not get you staffed, which, according to Gucci in another thread, could mean actually not even writing for a year. Sitting in a room bouncing ideas around for someone else's show, being hired to polish someone else's dialogue, being hired as writer #10 on some blockbuster, etc. So basically a writer for hire as opposed to an artist. The money would be awesome, and it would be a better day job than most people have, and you would be "working in your field," and those are great things, but I just don't know if to me it's that attractive a notion. So personally, since I already have a day job that I like, which happens to be a writing job, and which I can do from anywhere in the world on my own time, I think I'll stick to that and write novels and go that route. I will probably be inspired to write a screenplay again, but if and when that happens, I'll pitch to production companies directly, which I prefer anyway, and leave it at that.

So that's the plan Stan.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker