No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Quest - Scott Myers - Contest/Course

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
    Knaight says, "I think it'd be unfair to newer writers who could get more out of it."

-- The hell with that! I'm no Mother Teresa. I'm not gonna roll over to give a new writer a free pass. If a writer wants this opportunity, he's gonna have to earn it with a storng and compelling high concept and a strong writing sample.

If a writer, new or experience, had any pride, he would want it no other way.
    By "new," I don't necessarily mean that someone should be on their first or second script. I'm referring more to people without contacts, reps, or a strong writing skill-set, but that have the talent and drive to get there. That's all.

Regardless of all the above chatter, I think this is a really cool thing that Scott's doing and hope the best for whoever ends up working with him.
    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

All kidding aside, I'm with Joe on this one. To me, it's no different from entering a competition in order to try to get some positive attention from the industry. Plus, it's free!

Comment

If a writer wants this opportunity, he's gonna have to earn it with a strong and compelling high concept and a strong writing sample.

If a writer, new or experience, had any pride, he would want it no other way.
        If the writer is good enough to earn it with a strong, compelling high concept and strong execution in its writing, what do they need this program (or any other) for?

Comment

JoeBanks, connections. Experience pro writer/producer to mentor you as a writer and to champion your script. What's the downside? For all the hours he puts in he wants to attach himself as a producer? I have no problem with this deal. I trust Scott will make a strong effort on whoever's script he chooses.

Comment

Scott Myers in your corner, actively pushing a script you developed with him = no downside.

Comment

JoeBanks, connections. Experience pro writer/producer to mentor you as a writer and to champion your script. What's the downside? For all the hours he puts in he wants to attach himself as a producer? I have no problem with this deal. I trust Scott will make a strong effort on whoever's script he chooses.
              The only downside would be in how the industry views his value as an attachment to the script.

I have no idea about that which is why I started the thread. I don't know anything about him besides what's on his blog and his imdb page.

It's a mistake to think this is free. If he wants to attach as a producer on your script you can be sure it's because your script has value.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                Scott Myers in your corner, actively pushing a script you developed with him = no downside.
                "in your corner" is not the same thing as being attached as a producer. if i can write a script that Scott believes in that much, why should i limit my options when, potentially, there are other producers who might believe in it as well?

Comment

the issue with screenwriting is not that there are too many excellent scripts out there just looking for connections to make them happen. it's that the writer with no connections more likely doesn't have a script worth trying to get into other people's hands.

write the (truly) great script and the connections will follow

Comment

iggy says, "The only downside would be in how the industry view his attachment to the script."

-- This would be true if Scott would be a roadblock to a deal because of any unrealstic demands, such as, a percentage of gross, an important say in the casting, hiring a director, whatever. If it's a high concept script that a studio wants, I don't believe Scott would be a roadblock to a deal.

Even with Scott's help, it's still a long shot that a writer would break in with this route, but it's a legit opportunity to give it a short.

Years ago, Ted and Terry attached themselves as producers to Paul Hernadez's script, before he became a pro and before his success with "Sky High." They worked many hours with Paul on rewrites and took many meetings. They came close to getting it produced but it never happened.

So, you see what you're up against to break in.

Grab every opportunity that comes your way because you don't know which route is going to be the route to success.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                      "in your corner" is not the same thing as being attached as a producer. if i can write a script that Scott believes in that much, why should i limit my options when, potentially, there are other producers who might believe in it as well?
                      I look at it this way: I'd be developing the script WITH Scott, who would be acting as a producer from the get-go. Because of this, I'd have no problem with him attaching himself to it.

What he's proposing isn't much different from what Rossio and Elliott did here: http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/wp07.23.Steps.html

Comment

JoeBanks says, "write the (truly) great script and the connections will follow.-

-- Yes, I've heard this type of lofty sentiment before, but how do you suggest a writer, who has a truly great script, get those connections to follow him? Does he just write the script and -- POOF -- connections appear?

Wouldn't it be a good idea for a writer to be pro active? Or, do you believe there are some routes to success worthy to try, but not others?

Comment

No, no...JoeBanks is right. This is a bad deal all the way 'round. Do not enter any logline to this Myers guy. You don't need Myers to help you write a "great" script. Stay home. Don't send that logline in to this free opportunity 'cause it's not really an opportunity. It's a guy who wants you to write a "great" script so he can be a producer on it. It's all about him.

So keep those loglines at home. Don't send them. Don't go through Myers's site and come to the realization that a lot of what he says sounds reasonable and right and makes sense.

Do not enter a logline. There is only one way to get into Hollywood: write a "great" script. So don't enter contests, post pages in the Advanced Section...it won't happen for you. So don't even try.

HH

Comment

I once tried to write a great script. It didn't work out too well.

So now I strive for garishly dressed mediocrity in the hope that I can fool people who have money and the desire to make a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                              No, no...JoeBanks is right. This is a bad deal all the way 'round. Do not enter any logline to this Myers guy. You don't need Myers to help you write a "great" script. Stay home. Don't send that logline in to this free opportunity 'cause it's not really an opportunity. It's a guy who wants you to write a "great" script so he can be a producer on it. It's all about him.

So keep those loglines at home. Don't send them. Don't go through Myers's site and come to the realization that a lot of what he says sounds reasonable and right and makes sense.

Do not enter a logline. There is only one way to get into Hollywood: write a "great" script. So don't enter contests, post pages in the Advanced Section...it won't happen for you. So don't even try.

HH
                              Do you think participating in The Quest would be different than what you'd learn/get from taking this class at the regular cost of $1995?

Myers seems like a smart, knowledgeable, nice guy. He's been teaching for a while. Just trying to figure out if it's smarter for the writer to pay with cash or a producer attachment.

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                                Do you think participating in The Quest would be different than what you'd learn/get from taking this class at the regular cost of $1995?

Myers seems like a smart, knowledgeable, nice guy. He's been teaching for a while. Just trying to figure out if it's smarter for the writer to pay with cash or a producer attachment.
                                Producer attachment. No hesitation.

Comment

Working...
                                X