• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking Board Launch Pad

Anybody in for this one ?

http://www.tracking-board.com/the-la...e-competition/

Re: Tracking Board Launch Pad

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
    I can't make heads or tails of this competition. I know they've been around for a few years, but I can't find a deadline date or winner announcement date.

It seems like a continuously running competition which sounds more like a script reading service. Am I missing something?
    Second Draft = First Draft less 10%
    -Stephen King

Comment

It's not a continually running contest. All the dates and info are right on the site.

May 5 - The Launch Pad Features Competition Opens For Submissions
      May 31 - Early Bird Submissions Deadline
      June 30 - Regular Submissions Deadline
      July 31 - Late Submissions Deadline
      August 8 - Last Minute Submissions Deadline
      August 9 - Contest Closes and Judging Begins
      September - Announcement of the Top 25 Semi-Finalists
      October - Announcement of the Top 10 Finalists
      October - Announcement of the Launch Pad Features Competition Winner

Overall, like the Trackingb Contest, they seem to have a good judging panel and some of the writer's who've placed in their contests (features and pilot) have signed and/or sold/optioned their scripts.

They do also run a coverage service - which is separate from the contest itself. If you get a "recommend" from their coverage - they then promote you to the industry. I guess it's sort of like getting an "8" from the Black List and being on the email blast.

Comment

Looks pretty expensive. Even if you make the early deadline, it's $65, or $120 if you want some brief notes. And that's for a contest with no cash prizes. Bluecat has to find $43,000 worth of prizes from its entry fees and provides two sets of brief notes all for a $55 early entry fee.

Sure, it's worth the money if you're one of the top 25. But the vast majority of entrants won't be. I'll be sticking to Bluecat for the feedback, and Nicholl for the exposure and potential huge prize (total cost per screenplay $90).

Comment

Don't enter contests for the money.

Not sure what you can see on the Tracking Board site without a subscription, but 5 of the top 25 were sold/optioned and 10 got repped in their first feature contest. I believe at least 8 of the 25 have been signed so far in the pilot competition.

I can personally assure you that you'd be totally Nutzoid of the "Fat Guy Goes" variety not enter this contest (just remember that you're competing against pros as you are in the TrackingB competition).

Comment

Originally posted by BillG View Post

Not sure what you can see on the Tracking Board site without a subscription, but 5 of the top 25 were sold/optioned and 10 got repped in their first feature contest. I believe at least 8 of the 25 have been signed so far in the pilot competition.

I can personally assure you that you'd be totally Nutzoid of the "Fat Guy Goes" variety not enter this contest (just remember that you're competing against pros as you are in the TrackingB competition).
            None of which either explains or justifies the $65 early entrance fee, for which 99% of entrants will get nothing at all.

If your screenplay is good enough to sell or get you a rep, it stands a better chance of getting noticed if you enter it in the Nichol for $35, where hundreds of entrants get queries from reps/prodcos every year. And I wouldn't sniff at the $35,000 dollar prizes either if one came my way.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with declining to enter a contest because of the entrance fee. Nothing wrong with a contest charging whatever fee they want, either.

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
                None of which either explains or justifies the $65 early entrance fee, for which 99% of entrants will get nothing at all.
                Isn't that true of any contest? Unless people enjoy seeing their name in a Quarterfinalist list of 100+ names . . . or maybe a discount for screenwriting software.

Comment

What BillG said. The exposure that Tracking Board gives its semifinalists and above is way more valuable than feedback from BlueCat, or even a cash prize, if these numbers are correct (and I see no reason to suspect them of lying).

The early entry price for TB is the same as the late entry price for Nicholl, so assuming you just got your script in shape for Nicholl, why not throw it at TB as well?

Not that I want to convince anyone to spend money on contests. But if you're planning to enter some anyway, it seems to me that TB offers a greater opportunity to "launch" your career than most any other contest out there, judging by their numbers.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Thanks for the tip on this contest. It sounds great!

I like their philosophy. Might throw my hat in the ring.
                    "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Planning on entering this, but it would be nice if the late entry prices were listed in addition to the early entry fees on the website. Anyone know what they are?
                      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I went ahead and entered and chose the script notes along with it.

I wish there were genre categories, but there are not.

Also, their "sample" notes are not terribly confidence inspiring, as it is FILLED with typos. They really ought to fix that - it just decreases credibility.
                        "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Cool.

Just got notified of the rates; they are as follows:

Early - $65.00
                          Regular - $75.00
                          Late - $85.00
                          Last Minute - $95.00

Good luck!
                          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
                            There's nothing wrong with declining to enter a contest because of the entrance fee. Nothing wrong with a contest charging whatever fee they want, either.
                            Ah, a fellow traveler (if you'll pardon the inapposite historical connotation of that expression).

Comment

Working...
                            X