No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Central Dramatic Argument

Originally posted by 11 View Post
    Wait -- aren't you the guy who gave up screenwriting?
    After thinking about it for a day, you're right.

I need to officially close this chapter of my life. It's tough to walk away from something you have been doing for sixteen years... but it need's to be done.

Jeff Shurtleff
    "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff View Post
      After thinking about it for a day, you're right.

I need to officially close this chapter of my life. It's tough to walk away from something you have been doing for sixteen years... but it need's to be done.

Jeff Shurtleff
      Now I feel bad. Look -- you called me an a$$-kisser and accused me of being condescending simply because I saw value in what a pro said and felt his pointers were lost in the side debates. So I got snarky. We were both wrong. I apologize.

For the record -- I think about walking away from it at least once per week. The thing is -- the discussions in which all the pros have offered good stuff actually inspire me to keep going, to keep at it, and put all my energy into writing the best script I humanly can because that's the only way I will get farther than the last time I had a rep. So I remain in my bunker focused on one thing -- getting better.

I think if you loved it for 16 years, give it one more try. I'm rooting for you.
      Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
        Now I feel bad. Look -- you called me an a$$-kisser and accused me of being condescending simply because I saw value in what a pro said and felt his pointers were lost in the side debates. So I got snarky. We were both wrong. I apologize.

For the record -- I think about walking away from it at least once per week. The thing is -- the discussions in which all the pros have offered good stuff actually inspire me to keep going, to keep at it, and put all my energy into writing the best script I humanly can because that's the only way I will get farther than the last time I had a rep. So I remain in my bunker focused on one thing -- getting better.

I think if you loved it for 16 years, give it one more try. I'm rooting for you.
        Don't feel bad. The truth is, I love living in Sarasota and running on the beach everyday. I don't want to live in LA and I don't care about money.

I look at this as a new opportunity to write and publish things for the kindle and e-readers.

I'm not going to stop writing...

It will be nice to have less people involved in what gets done and put out there.

I wasn't going to post again, but I owed you that. Sorry for yesterdays comment.

Jeff Shurtlleff
        "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

I miss fall in New England...
          www.therobotard8000.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheRobotard8000 View Post
            I miss fall in New England...
            Including the Cod?
            ==========

Comment

Central dramatic question: Who's more bada$$ -- Mazin, BDZ or The Robotard?
              And if the three of them could team up and form a script consulting firm from a secure bunker somewhere, wouldn't everyone (and the industry) benefit? We could ALL be badass, at least for the time it took to read the coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasil Adkins View Post
                Including the Cod?
                That goes without saying.
                www.therobotard8000.com

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
                  Sorry for I'm about to suck all the air out of the room.

From the Writers Store site:

"Step by step, Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational Arc guides you through an extraordinary new process that helps identify your thematic intention - what your story is really about - and teaches you how to turn that intention into the driving force behind all your creative choices. The result is a profound relationship between the movement of the plot and the internal development of character, which is the foundation for the transformational arc. The transformational arc is the deeper line of structure found inside the story. Knowing how to work with the arc enhances your ability to:
                  -Express your unique point of view
                  -Give meaning and urgency to the line of action
                  -Infuse your characters with richness, subtlety, and surprise
                  -Develop a powerful emotional undercurrent
                  -Make your stories stand out and get attention
                  A strong transformational arc is the single most important element that makes the difference between a good screenplay and a great one."

So the CDA is: Are all guru books completely useless?
                  Considering she wrote her book 2 years after I said the same shizz on my blog, it's possible that she just ripped me off.

Either way, I don't care. She's a reader. She analyzes. I'm a writer. I write.

You choose whom to listen to and how to spend your money. No sweat off my balls.

Comment

I think you mean "no skin off my nose"

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
                    A strong transformational arc is the single most important element that makes the difference between a good screenplay and a great one."
                    This isn't true.

The difference between a good screenplay and a great one, is the fact that it gives the audience a transformational experience. And there is no "most important element" to achieve that.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post

OK.. football time. My stone cold lock of the century is Ravens and 49ers.
                      Hope you're not a gambling man.

Comment

Hope you're not a gambling man.
                        Hmm... the last part must have been cut off where I said they would both loose. Yeah, that's what I meant.
                        Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by nojustice View Post
                          ... The difference between a good screenplay and a great one, is the fact that it gives the audience a transformational experience. And there is no "most important element" to achieve that.
                          The "author" is talking about turning a good screenplay (without a strong transformational arc) into a great screenplay by incorporating a strong transformational arc.

Since the arc is so closely related to the CDA, the sentence can be re-written as:

A strong Central Dramatic Argument is the single most important element that makes the difference between a good screenplay and a great one.

I don't think the pros here are saying anything different.
                          "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                          - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Well... There are plenty of great, successful screenwriters who put little or no thought into theme at any stage of their process.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                              Well... There are plenty of great, successful screenwriters who put little or no thought into theme at any stage of their process.
                              I don't doubt that. If they are consistently writing great screenplays then I hope they wouldn't consider any other way.
                              "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                              - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                                Apart from the 'great' and 'successful' parts, I fall into this category.

I just write what I hope are good, entertaining stories with a beginning, middle and end. Then I ask my wife to read the final draft and tell me what the theme is in case anyone asks.
                                TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Working...
                                X