Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl SFs and QFs

Finally made the semi-finals this year, and of course it's the year when no one seems to be chatting about the contest for some reason.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone's been getting industry attention after the SF and QF list presumably went out.

I've received a grand total of -- 1 request. And it had the feel of scamminess to it, so I probably should even count that. So, I guess, a big fat 0. Oh well.

Anyone else?

Re: Nicholl SFs and QFs

I only made the QF, but got one script request.

Congrats on semis, by the way.

Comment

Thanks, man. Congrats to you as well. Hope you get more requests. I spent so many years on the outside looking in on this contest, and heard so many success stories about those that made it through the first cut, that I thought I should clear some space in my inbox after having made the semis. Should have known better (holding up my six-year screenwriting chip). LOL.*

*That's not to disparage the Nicholl, which in my opinion, is the ONLY worthwhile contest. Just curious how different placements have been shaking out for folks. Logline, of course, must be the most important factor.

Comment

Congrats on making semis! That is a really big deal. I made it a couple years ago and got a couple requests but nothing came of them.

What the placement can do for you now really depends on where you are in your career. When I entered the Nicholl, I already had a manager so I knew going in that I was really only to get something out of it if I won. If you're unrepped though, a SF placement should be enough to get you read by a bunch of people. Mention it in your query letter. I think it will help.

Best of luck!

-A
        Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Thanks, A. I appreciate it. Been querying, and will keep on doing so. And will keep grinding away. More stories. More writing.

Comment

Originally posted by RALPHWALDOFAN View Post
            T Should have known better (holding up my six-year screenwriting chip). LOL.*
            That chip thing made me laugh, dude. Well done on getting into the SFs. I am going to try for Nicholl next year for the first time.

Put something into the Final Draft drama section (first comp I ever tried) and I am through to the QFs.

It's good to see forum members doing well! Best of luck, keep us posted.

Comment

Thanks, MrBigg, I appreciate it (glad you got a laugh about the chip too, haha). Good luck to you entering next year, and congrats on the Final Draft placement!

Comment

Congrats everyone. I made the QF's. Just starting to get some management queries now. Good luck to all.

Comment

just a quick update:

made it to the semi finals of the final draft big break contest.

hopefully I can go a little bit further. any more news for any of you guys yet??

Comment

We were at the event last night and had a very nice time as always. We will be working on a write up of the evening as we have done in the past, for all to read, to be posted on the main site.

Since it was announced last night, I thought I'd go ahead and note it here too, sadly Greg Beal is retiring from the Fellowship and moving on after this year's duties are wrapped up in the next week or so roughly. No word was given on who will be taking over for him after 28 years (if memory serves on the time frame).
                    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 11-03-2017, 08:34 AM.
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                      Since it was announced last night, I thought I'd go ahead and note it here too, sadly Greg Beal is retiring from the Fellowship and moving on after this year's duties are wrapped up in the next week or so roughly. No word was given on who will be taking over for him after 28 years (if memory serves on the time frame).
                      Oh, say it ain't so!

Greg.. wherever you are out there... you will be missed, but I'd like to extend my gratitude for your tireless efforts over the years, including making me feel welcome during my week-long visit ten years ago (amazing it's been ten years).

More than all the time you devoted to the Nicholl Fellowship competition, you were always so generous with your time right here on this particular forum, answering questions and dealing with us neurotic writers... all with great patience and good humor.

Tip of the hat.

Comment

> is retiring...

I can't imagine why?! Greg and his favorite pastime

Comment

Happy trails, Greg! Huge appreciation to you for years of incredibly hard work, dedication, and support for struggling screenwriters. Whoever takes your place has big shoes to fill. All the best!

Late Night Writer
                          (AKA Lynn, Nicholl Finalist 2015)

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear Greg is retiring! The Nicholl Fellowship is such a professional and terrific contest. I was a semi-finalist this year and the quality of the people that have reached out (and continue to email even now) to read my script is completely amazing.

Good luck in your next adventure, Greg! Thank you for the many years of encouragement and for running a great contest!

Comment

Sorry to hear of Greg retiring. Have a good memory of sitting around with him at Austin. What a nice guy. Lots more free time now, where he doesn't have to read screenplays unless he wants to.

Comment

Working...
                              X