No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pursue or let it go?

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
    This film was not a "team focused" collaboration. It was a prize offered in a contest. For them to refuse to complete it - and yet run another round of the contest, collecting entry fees, all the while claiming poverty as the reason mine never got done... No. It's not okay.
    Correct. No one is doing you a favor by failing to finish what was promised. They're paying the prodco to start a new film, they can pay to get yours finished.

Instead they are busy hustling unwitting participants, donors and sponsors for their summer conference. Google, Barnes & Noble and Whole Foods are listed as org. sponsors.

When it comes to applying for grants, organizations like this typically have to list judgements and claims against them. Not a good idea for them to have unresolved beefs. Nor do they want their tax exempt status reviewed.

Comment

Thank you for the offer - I messaged you.

And also - interesting development. When I checked my email this morning there was a message from the director saying that his offer to send me all the footage was still open.

If I accept that offer though, I want it to be under certain conditions.

First - the contest rules grant Willamette license to exhibit the film and use it to promote their contest, I would want that revoked. I also want the organization's name removed from the credits, as well as the chairperson who is named as a producer. I think I should get a producer credit, if I'm the one who will see it through to completion.

Basically I do not want them to benefit in any way from this film. But I also want to ensure that they don't prevent me from benefiting - so I'd want the be provided with production stills, cast biographies, releases, anything I would need to enter it into a festival or screen it in public.

Does this sound reasonable?
      This sounds reasonable to me.

And you mentioned before that they were not rolling in money from their contest entry fees, but still, that isn't the only kind of currency out there. Their contest is ostensibly earning them a reputation. But they're not really earning it here, are they? Not a good reputation, anyway. They should not be gaining standing and respectability if they have not earned it.
      "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
      Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

I just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know that the completed film was delivered to me today.

Comment

I just wanted to update this thread and let everyone know that the completed film was delivered to me today.
          Cool!
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

They finished it? That's great! Congrats!

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

So happy for you.
              "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
              Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Nice! Squeaky wheel got the grease

Comment

Excellent.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Working...
                  X