• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female Characters

The Female Character Flowchart

http://www.overthinkingit.com/2010/1...ter-flowchart/

I have a migraine now.
    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Re: Female Characters

Whoa. I am definitely not reading all that. I can't even see all that.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Too much theory!

I'm a software programmer by day but even I refuse to apply this kind of programmatic stuff to my writing. By the time I've figured it out, I'll have written another couple of scripts. And of 10 complete and 1 in the works, 7 have female leads. I don't think I need a flowchart to work it out.

Comment

this was designed by a man, right? i think... no, i think... crap, i don't know what i think, but i feel like men are confused by women.
        life happens
        despite a few cracked pots-
        and random sunlight

Comment

Definitely designed by someone who likes intricate labyrinths. Sheesh!

Long story short: it's too hard to write fem--

Aww fvck it.
          Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Wow... that is about the most useless thing I think I've ever seen. You either know how to write strong characters or you don't. Male or female. Why this person feels it's necessary to single out females is beyond me. There are plenty of very well developed female characters out there, and it's rather archaic to think otherwise.

Comment

i tried mind-mapping once, but i got lost.
              life happens
              despite a few cracked pots-
              and random sunlight

Comment

It's like the Bechdel test that isn't really a test. This is the chart that isn't really a chart. There are no women beneath the "strong female character" box or there is, but only Ripley. I can't quite tell cuz it's squirrely. In any case, just some good ol' fashioned commentary humor.
                Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus9 View Post
                  Wow... that is about the most useless thing I think I've ever seen. You either know how to write strong characters or you don't. Male or female. Why this person feels it's necessary to single out females is beyond me. There are plenty of very well developed female characters out there, and it's rather archaic to think otherwise.
                  Yes, there are great female characters. Just not in American movies.

Show me one in a recent movie.

They're all ciphers, starting with Nancy Meyers characters and the Sex and the City women.

Comment

I love how Debra from RAYMOND is described as "The Shrew", whereas anybody who has seen a single episode can tell immediately that she's a smart, formerly sophisticated and independent woman stuck in hell living with a lying, conniving, smarmy, emotionally crippled man-child who still clings to mommy's skirts and has the backbone of a dish of flan.

I mean seriously, many TV shows turn me off of the very idea of marriage, but that one takes the cake.

Comment

LOL! somebody has way, way, way too much time on their hands.
                      but i guess that's why they call it "overthinkingit". <<<the NikeeGoddess just shakes her head>>>

Comment

actually, i'm thinking of printing that out in poster size and filling in the missing photos.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                          Yes, there are great female characters. Just not in American movies.

Show me one in a recent movie.

They're all ciphers, starting with Nancy Meyers characters and the Sex and the City women.
                          This is all subjective. If you don't think any recent American films have great female characters in them, then there is little chance I'll convince you otherwise. Who I feel may be great female characters may not even register on your chart. But regardless (in the past 10 years):

Serenity. V For Vendetta. Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2. Inglourious Basterds. Let Me In (yes, based off a foreign book, but still an American film). The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Million Dollar Baby.

To name a few. And then there's America television, where there are even more great, strong female characters to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus9 View Post
                            This is all subjective. If you don't think any recent American films have great female characters in them, then there is little chance I'll convince you otherwise. Who I feel may be great female characters may not even register on your chart. But regardless (in the past 10 years):

Serenity. V For Vendetta. Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2. Inglourious Basterds. Let Me In (yes, based off a foreign book, but still an American film). The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Million Dollar Baby.

To name a few. And then there's America television, where there are even more great, strong female characters to find.

Ok, I'll give you Froddo.

Nikee, I'm on my way to Kinko's as we speak.

Comment

I love female characters. I'm going to print out the flow-chart and masturbate to it.

HH

Comment

Working...
                              X