• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War Z Movie Details Revealed!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/...-with-zombies/
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: World War Z Movie Details Revealed!

Any project automatically gets tastier if you add "... with zombies." to the description:

"Little Miss Sunshine... with zombies."
    "Gone With the Wind... with zombies."
    "Blazing Saddles... with zombies."

That said, I only got about five pages into the draft and put it aside. Not that it was bad, but that it seemed written by someone unfamiliar with the genre and so was relying on the tired tropes of same.

I'll have to go back and give it another shot. Love the book (in fact I'm rereading it right now), but in an odd way I think that if the adaption gets pulled off in a proper way it'll put the zombie flick to bed, at least for a while.

Not much that could properly top some of the vignettes in World War Z without a massive budget. What's funny is that those vignettes could each be described in the way above:

"Airport... with zombies."
    "Bat 21... with zombies."
    "Coma... with zombies."

... and so on...
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Some first clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=t3hYKPt0uJQ

I never thought about it like this but it does make sense. With the millions that inhabit a single city, a swarm of zombies coming at you would literally be a wave of bodies surging towards you.

You just have to look at stock footage of riots, protests, sports events to see how dense and chaotic crowds can get.

Comment

Sort of reminds me of the bouncy ball movements of those things from I AM LEGEND. I don't have a problem with fast zombies, and I dig the swarm aspect...but those things are moving way too fast. It's cartoonish.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

It's nothing like the book I've heard.

Just like I am Legend.

Comment

Uggh, as a big fan of the book, this looks awful.

Comment

I would have loved it to have been a documentary-style film with the survivors and "re-enactments" or "news footage". Now it's just a run of the mill zombie film. I know it's being described as being almost documentary-like, but if it's being described as [Insert Film Name Here] with Zombies, it will just end up being more of the same. Pass.

Comment

I remember reading a draft of the script last year -- sadly I don't have it any more -- and it was brilliant.

But to see those snapshots on the E! preview has my blood boiling. How can you f*ck up a truly decent script?

Oh, I see there is now a thread where I can have this rant

Comment

Originally posted by Steven R View Post
                  I would have loved it to have been a documentary-style film with the survivors and "re-enactments" or "news footage". Now it's just a run of the mill zombie film. I know it's being described as being almost documentary-like, but if it's being described as [Insert Film Name Here] with Zombies, it will just end up being more of the same. Pass.
                  Agreed. Personally, I would have liked the project to have been picked up for cable...each episode a chapter of the book with the reporter just being the reporter.

Unfortunately, with Brad Pitt's involvement it's been homogenized into a run-of-the-mill Brad Pitt vs. The Zombies. I mean, it might be fun but I doubt it'll be outstanding.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I'm surprised Brad Pitt actually agreed to take the project down this route. I mean he's done Assassination of Jesse James, Tree of Life, now Killing Them Softly. He's not into compromising projects by pushing them too commercial.

I thought he was the perfect actor for this. Someone who would fight for the integrity of the project.

I'll hold off judgement, though. It's not even a real trailer yet.

Comment

Read the Michael Straczynski draft some years ago and really dug it. Seems to have gone a completely different direction.

You read about it having a turbulent production with reshoots which doesn't inspire confidence. But like ATB, gonna hold off judgement until the actual trailer -- or when the movie comes out.

But that swarm thing is pretty cool.

Comment

Full trailer out now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

Comment

Yep...I Am Legend II. Why did they bother to purchase the project, other than securing rights to the name?

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                            Yep...I Am Legend II. Why did they bother to purchase the project, other than securing rights to the name?
                            lol, that's what I said about I am Legend. They could literally have made that movie. Chosen a different name for the main character and no one would see the connection.

Comment

Haven't read the book, but the new trailer looks pretty damn good. Might not be the story from the novel but it made me wanna see it as someone who isn't familiar with the IP (which I guess is what they're going for).

Really does look like an I Am Legend prequel, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X