No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paramount ditches Blu-Ray

Originally posted by MacG View Post
    The difference is HUGE. (Technically speaking, 6x sharper than standard DVD.) Anyone who claims otherwise hasn't seen a high def disc displayed properly.

Agreed.

Originally posted by P.G. Bauhaus View Post
    These arguments will seem hilariously pointless in two years or less when physical media finally breathes it's last breath.

That's certainly your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by P.G. Bauhaus View Post
      These arguments will seem hilariously pointless in two years or less when physical media finally breathes it's last breath.
      I don't think physical media will ever go away. Why? Because people love to collect. They want something physical... maybe in a century it'll slowly lose popularity, but I doubt it. For whatever reason, we like being able to hold something in our hands and not just have it on our harddrive.

Yes, I assume that at one point we won't need to keep putting in the DVDs to change the movies and rather just have them DLed and go through and find the movie we like and it works that way... or maybe it'll be streamed while we watch it (though that won't happen anytime soon in high quality, it's difficult to do).

Either way, I highly doubt people will want to give up being able to have the DVD cases, the DVD itself and have a collection of some sort. Sure, it'll still be a collection if they are DLed on some harddrive... but what if that crashes, then what? Well, I guess you could back them up on something else, but still... at some point people will still enjoy having a physical form of their movies.

So, I don't think we will find this hilariously pointless any time soon at all. Hell, I don't think we'll ever find it pointless because I just don't think the current mindset of individuals lends well to having NO physical item. If we buy something, we want it to be more tangible... I think most people are like that and will remain to be like that for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
        Agreed.

I also agree. Just saying this again to mention that the person who quoted from me misunderstood what I said. Only an idiot would think that normal DVD compared to BR or HD on a nice TV is subtle. It's a huge difference.

I was just saying the difference between HD and BR is subtle... because they are both in the same boat of this upcoming movie technology wave.

Comment

Since the mods have taken it upon themselves to selectively delete some of my posts, I am helping them out by deleting the rest.
          Last edited by kintnerboy; 09-01-2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKid View Post
            I also agree. Just saying this again to mention that the person who quoted from me misunderstood what I said. Only an idiot would think that normal DVD compared to BR or HD on a nice TV is subtle. It's a huge difference.
            Hey, so I thought you were an idiot. Mea culpa.

Comment

I'll just say it again.
              Optical media has no future.

Certain content has limited storage place in every house.
              No one will go and dedicate extra room for that.

Imagine you would still collect musical records. SINGLES.
              How much space would you have today?

Today you'll have all the music you need on 20 DVDs and that's it.

But the nature of the beast is, you won't even go and search
              through that if you'll have constant online service that will allow you to
              make any playlist you want. Further more, new songs or playlists made by those that dedicate their work time for making them will always be more interesting than your own on a longer period basis.

So forget about optical disks. Since their time is extremly limited the cheaper format to produce should win.
              You need something for your shelves? Buy (and read) books. It's classier.

Btw, since I am buying hi-def tv I was shocked that given BR or HDDVD source even on Sony Bravia you couldn't see much difference between HDRready (13xxx768) and 1080i/p TV sets. In fact, warmth of colors, pixel filters etc were far more important than diffrence between 1 or 2 megapixel screen.
              And yeah, i am not buying 60" tv set to see the difference. 37/42 is enough for my room and you'll have a hard time spotting the difference there.

Comment

Originally posted by Khabs View Post
                I'll just say it again.
                Optical media has no future.

Again, that's your opinion. Others like myself have a certain fondness and appreciation for physical media and no matter how convenient or fast other technologies get, nothing will change that.

Comment

Again, that's your opinion. Others like myself have a certain fondness and appreciation for physical media and no matter how convenient or fast other technologies get, nothing will change that.
                  were you than guy with 20pound boombox on his shoulder playing audio cassete standing in front of me last week?

dude, yer old

Comment

were you than guy with 20pound boombox on his shoulder playing audio cassete standing in front of me last week?

dude, yer old

...No, I'm actually not old. I assume you're probably older than me to be quite honest as most people on here are I'd assume. I just dig owning something and being able to hold it in my hands versus just watching something streamed over the internet that will have a expiration date tagged onto it and you apparently don't. Big freakin' deal.

Comment

...No, I'm actually not old. I assume you're probably older than me to be quite honest as most people on here are I'd assume. I just dig owning something and being able to hold it in my hands versus just watching something streamed over the internet that will have a expiration date tagged onto it and you apparently don't. Big freakin' deal.
                      I actually say those words because I am sort of a hamster myself, stacking wall to wall print, analog and digital media.

But I also realise that the long awaited time has come. My storage is outsourced.
                      It's nice to have something in your hand, some sort of "backup" if you fall offline. I agree. And to some degree people will still buy that kind of material, but it will start to faze out sooner or later.
                      Simply because there's too much content avaliable. I don't want to look like I am doing a backup of whole internet or iTunes.

To me book is far more pure in its message than any film that has too many parents to be on par with the book. So on a symbolic plane, book can stay.

I don't mind having films like Godfather, Indiana Jones or Solaris on DVD. Films that are either remarkable in their own way or have some special wibe that remind me of something without even watching it. And that's what your collection really is. Symbols that remind you of elements of your psyche, like tools in magickal ceremony.

But there are maybe only 3 or 4 movies made in a year now, that I even consider buying. The rest is watch and forget. I don't need dvd for that.

Comment

But I also realise that the long awaited time has come. My storage is outsourced.
                        It's nice to have something in your hand, some sort of "backup" if you fall offline. I agree. And to some degree people will still buy that kind of material, but it will start to faze out sooner or later.
                        Simply because there's too much content avaliable. I don't want to look like I am doing a backup of whole internet or iTunes.

To me book is far more pure in its message than any film that has too many parents to be on par with the book. So on a symbolic plane, book can stay.

I don't mind having films like Godfather, Indiana Jones or Solaris on DVD. Films that are either remarkable in their own way or have some special wibe that remind me of something without even watching it. And that's what your collection really is. Symbols that remind you of elements of your psyche, like tools in magickal ceremony.

But there are maybe only 3 or 4 movies made in a year now, that I even consider buying. The rest is watch and forget. I don't need dvd for that.

Well, again, that's all your very own opinion and I respectfully disagree.

Comment

Only an idiot would think that normal DVD compared to BR or HD on a nice TV is subtle. It's a huge difference.
                          That depends on what your definition of "huge" is, and whether you're talking about high-bit DVDs upconverted on a high-end processor vs. standard 480i/480p players.

But to me, it's mostly hype, as I've watch HD movies on cable or through a PS3, and it doesn't make a bad movie good or even a great movie any better. About the only thing I notice is that I can see the pores on the actor's faces, which is kinda freaky in a way.

And yes, I have finally upgraded all my systems to HD-LCD (46" main, 37" family, and 32" bedroom) with HDMI upconverting DVDs, but I still don't see the overriding *need* to buy and watch ALL my movies in HD. Most people I know don't either, and the IT techie types who were going crazy over the VHS to DVD or X-BOX to XB2/PS2 to PS3 crazes, are mostly disinterested in the HD move. They'll buy in when it's cheap enough, but no big rush, as DVD is good enough and is cheap as hell right now.

Personally, I will upgrade a few action/adventure/sci-fi flicks, but I'd have to be a total idiot to invest ten's of thousands of dollars upgrading ALL my DVDs, especially as all the next-gen players upconvert to 1080i/1080p anyway. I can certainly find much better uses for that cash.

Comment

Well, I am just saying... you would have to have sight problems (idiot was the wrong word, since that has to do with your intelligence) not to notice the difference. While between HD and BR, the difference is so subtle that they really look the damn same.

So, that's why, since quality wise they are similar as well, it comes down to price. Any extra storage or extra this or that is minor when it comes to BR and the price for it just isn't worth it.

HD-DVD should and I hope will win this war.

And at one point maybe you can just DL everything onto a big harddrive or stream the videos, but physical media won't phase out completely and i don't see it phasing out (like CD's have) anytime soon.

Comment

Well, I am just saying... you would have to have sight problems (idiot was the wrong word, since that has to do with your intelligence) not to notice the difference. While between HD and BR, the difference is so subtle that they really look the damn same.
                              It's not that people can't see the difference between HD and DVD. It's that theyy don't CARE.

Look at it this way: I could, on the way home, stop by the grocery store and pay $10 for a copy of Blazing Saddles on DVD. Or, I could pay somewhere between 3 to 5 thousand dollars and buy an HD setup and then another 30 to 50 bucks to buy an HD copy of Blazing Saddles. Is the "experience" of better picture quality worth that?

People aren't missing anything with DVD. They're not being left out. Okay there's better graphics on an HDTV... well, for a lot of people an LCD screen SD TV would look way better than their CRT SD TV. It hasn't stopped them or slowed them down yet.

I own an HD camera. I've shot multiple films in HD and in 2 weeks I'm going to DP a feature documentary and shoot it all in HD. I own a CRT SD TV and have not seen any of my footage on an HD TV. Why? Because I don't care about the graphics. They aren't worth the price of admission.

So, that's why, since quality wise they are similar as well, it comes down to price. Any extra storage or extra this or that is minor when it comes to BR and the price for it just isn't worth it.

HD-DVD should and I hope will win this war.

And at one point maybe you can just DL everything onto a big harddrive or stream the videos, but physical media won't phase out completely and i don't see it phasing out (like CD's have) anytime soon.
                              I just don't see why anyone would want to pay thousands of dollars just for something to look prettier. It's nice that it looks nicer, but remember that with DVD, people didn't have to upgrade their TVs AND players, they just got the new player. Much easier. Helps with adoption.

If I have to replace my whole home theatre to get the new stuff, include that in the cost of entry. I'm not paying $30 for an HDDVD, it'll cost me at least $2530 or something for an HDDVD. The next one will be cheaper, but it's useless to me unless I have the rest of the materials.

Comment

Since the mods have taken it upon themselves to selectively delete some of my posts, I am helping them out by deleting the rest.
                                Last edited by kintnerboy; 09-01-2007, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X