Academy Nicholl Finalist looking for comedy + minority focused manager!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Nicholl Finalist looking for comedy + minority focused manager!

Ok Ive written 6 scripts now, all finalists in major competitions (2 features, 2 pilots, 2 specs). I focus on minority driven comedy with a heavy musical (hip-hop) and urban backdrop. (I'm Indian American BTW).

I finally feel ready for a manager and am looking for someone that focuses on selling original content, preferably features but open to TV, works with a lot of minorities and knows that market well, and also is heavily comedy focused.

I've been doing a lot of research but still feel so lost. I'm told Anonymous is great, among many others, 3 arts, CoC, etc. But how do you guys make the decision on who to query, or do you just spray and pray?

Any managers or least firms that you would recommend hihgly that fit what I'm looking for? thanks!!!

Re: Academy Nicholl Finalist looking for comedy + minority focused manager!

protip: when you're pitching yourself to managers or agents, don't refer to them (or your own scripts) as "minority focused" "diverse" if you must but really all reps are focused on finding great scripts from writers of all walks. cast as wide a net as you can at all levels of companies and agencies

Comment

Originally posted by sidgrey View Post
      Ok Ive written 6 scripts now, all finalists in major competitions (2 features, 2 pilots, 2 specs). I focus on minority driven comedy with a heavy musical (hip-hop) and urban backdrop. (I'm Indian American BTW).

I finally feel ready for a manager and am looking for someone that focuses on selling original content, preferably features but open to TV, works with a lot of minorities and knows that market well, and also is heavily comedy focused.

I've been doing a lot of research but still feel so lost. I'm told Anonymous is great, among many others, 3 arts, CoC, etc. But how do you guys make the decision on who to query, or do you just spray and pray?

Any managers or least firms that you would recommend hihgly that fit what I'm looking for? thanks!!!

Off the top of my head, Jermaine Johnson, Brian Dobbins, and Andrew Coles come to mind, but there are lots of managers who are excited about this kind of material, including literally anyone interested in making a living in this business.

Comment

query as many managers as possible. with a 3% - 10% response return would you rather have a choice between 2 read request vs ten?

as a finalist in major competitions didn't they try to connect you to representation? they usually do that, right? i mean, that's the primary reason i would enter a competition.

the more you send out the better your chances of having a selection of reps.
        good luck,
        FA4
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

No, they said they would "promote" us but nothing ever came out of it

What are your thoughts on querying multiple agents at one form, and how do you typically make the decision on WHICH agent to query?

Also what is your opinion for the overall BEST COMPANIES that I should target for what I want (selling, not staffing)?
          Last edited by sidgrey; 03-08-2019, 02:56 PM. Reason: cuz

Comment

What are your thoughts on querying multiple agents at one form, and how do you typically make the decision on WHICH agent to query?

Also what is your opinion for the overall BEST COMPANIES that I should target for what I want (selling, not staffing)?
            I tried to answer your question as to specific managers above-- but I'm honestly confused by this entire situation. I know people who've been Nicholl finalists, and they've been positively bombarded by reps. Heck, when I was in film school, I was a mere semi-finalist, and I got three or four offers from management companies. Something here feels off.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
              I tried to answer your question as to specific managers above-- but I'm honestly confused by this entire situation. I know people who've been Nicholl finalists, and they've been positively bombarded by reps. Heck, when I was in film school, I was a mere semi-finalist, and I got three or four offers from management companies. Something here feels off.
              ah yes i was quarter not a "finalist" sorry for that, didnt think that made a huge difference but guess it does.

Comment

ah yes i was quarter not a "finalist" sorry for that, didnt think that made a huge difference but guess it does.
                Yeah. There are 10 finalists. There are almost 400 quarter finalists. Those are not remotely the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                  Yeah. There are 10 finalists. There are almost 400 quarter finalists. Those are not remotely the same thing.
                  my sincerest apologies

Comment

my sincerest apologies
                    (Salieri voice): I absolve you.

Comment

first, i wouldn't send any requests to agents. i've never received a response, however, i have consistently receive responses from managers.

here's the thing, an agent is not interested in you until you have something that is "ready" to sell. that most likely means you need a manager first to help get your script to the professional level and as close as possible to a production ready script.

there is a difference.

yes, solicit as many managers as possible, even within the same organization. they are going to be judging you on your logline which may appeal more to one manager than another.

if you have a DDP account, you can look at the scripts that have been set up. in most cases they include the manager and the firm they work for. it can also include the agent and lawyer.

do this enough and you'll soon see managers that sell a lot of specs or assignments. you have to put a lot of time into it. i would say the more you send out the better your chances.

good luck,
                      FA4

PS: one last bit of advice-- you have to do everything you can possibly think of to market yourself and your work. i mean, everything. there are a multitude of ways to break into the industry. use every possible resource you can. do you have a website? if not, why not? you can create one for free and maintain one for very little money. i have a wix.com site. it's easy drag and drop. it does take a little vision for what you want, and it takes time to get it the way you want it, but it's well worth it. there are a lot of templates and free images you can use. and you can secure your domain. mine is my name as any writer's website should be. not my name but your own. haha.
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        first, i wouldn't send any requests to agents. i've never received a response, however, i have consistently receive responses from managers.

here's the thing, an agent is not interested in you until you have something that is "ready" to sell. that most likely means you need a manager first to help get your script to the professional level and as close as possible to a production ready script.

there is a difference.

yes, solicit as many managers as possible, even within the same organization. they are going to be judging you on your logline which may appeal more to one manager than another.

if you have a DDP account, you can look at the scripts that have been set up. in most cases they include the manager and the firm they work for. it can also include the agent and lawyer.

do this enough and you'll soon see managers that sell a lot of specs or assignments. you have to put a lot of time into it. i would say the more you send out the better your chances.

good luck,
                        FA4

PS: one last bit of advice-- you have to do everything you can possibly think of to market yourself and your work. i mean, everything. there are a multitude of ways to break into the industry. use every possible resource you can. do you have a website? if not, why not? you can create one for free and maintain one for very little money. i have a wix.com site. it's easy drag and drop. it does take a little vision for what you want, and it takes time to get it the way you want it, but it's well worth it. there are a lot of templates and free images you can use. and you can secure your domain. mine is my name as any writer's website should be. not my name but your own. haha.
                        yes I have a website though no one has ever asked for it, but I will make sure its updated when I begin to query. So you think its ok to query 5, 10 managers at the same company at once?

Comment

Working...
                        X