No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2013...

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
    Good ones will perform considerably better than not so good ones - but not a single script called an animation action comedy or even animation action was entered in 2011 or 2012.
    Realized I did the search incorrectly. It looks as if there were about a half-dozen animation action comedies in 2011 and 2012. That would be six of just under 14,000 entries. None of the six advanced.

There were also six animation adventure comedies, but none of those advanced either.

While animation had the fewest entries of any primary genre, animated scripts performed slightly better than expected in 2011 and 2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
      Hmm. So it is. Even though it SAYS March 1 -April 10 is for "Early Bird " entries, inside the site under "Rules/How to Apply" it says submissions can be made in late January.
      Overlooked this yesterday. A little confusion seems to have crept in regarding the deadlines, which in turn would affect an understanding of the entry fees.

$35 - From the late January opening through the March 1 early bird deadline.

$50 - From March 2 through the April 10 regular deadline.

$65 - From April 11 through the May 1 late deadline.

Comment

Overlooked this yesterday. A little confusion seems to have crept in regarding the deadlines, which in turn would affect an understanding of the entry fees.

$35 - From the late January opening through the March 1 early bird deadline.

$50 - From March 2 through the April 10 regular deadline.

$65 - From April 11 through the May 1 late deadline.
        That's interesting! I don't remember the Nicholl having three classes of fees before. Why the change? Is this so that everyone doesn't submit at the same time, I assume?
        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
          That's interesting! I don't remember the Nicholl having three classes of fees before. Why the change? Is this so that everyone doesn't submit at the same time, I assume?
          Yes, spreading the entries out a little is a good thing. And the first time for three deadlines.

Even better is having more entries here earlier, as that spreads out the reading over a longer period.

The optimum for us might be to move the final deadline up to April 1 or even March 15, but the deadline has been May 1 for over 20 years and it feels wrong to change it. We know that May 1 has become a target for many writers over the years. We are going to do what we can to encourage more earlier entries.

Comment

A few stat nerd questions:

1. How many additional entries do you expect to get as a result of raising the income limit from $5,000 to $25,000?

2. What percent of Nicholl finalists/winners obtain representation as a result (within 3 months, for example)? I assume it's pretty close to 100%?

3. What percent of Nicholl finalists/winners end up with IMDB credits, join the WGA, or have professional success by some other measure? (I know you report specific achievements, movies released by winners, etc. but how does it work as a %?)
            Last edited by LauriD; 02-06-2013, 04:05 AM.

Comment

question for Greg:

Would the Nicholl ever consider just not allowing writers to enter who make a living professionally from screenwriting, as opposed to having a $ limit? And people would have to produce their tax slips,if they won, to prove how they make a living? A writer who sells or sold one script for $30K or $35k is most likely back at work to pay the bills.

Comment

Piggybacking off LauriD's question about reps.

1) I'd love to know the % of enteries who gain representation via the following breakdown.
                a) Winners.
                b) Finalists.
                c) Semis. (I believe this is in the works already).
                d) Quarter.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post

1) I'd love to know the % of enteries who gain representation via the following breakdown.
                  a) Winners.
                  b) Finalists.
                  d) Quarter.

EJ
                  That's a ton of people and I doubt that they tell Greg when they're repped. I've been a QF, SF, and top 30 (x2) and never thought to mention it to the Nicholl folks when I got a rep.

I've talked to a couple of finalists/winners, and they got something like 100 calls/emails within 24 hours of the announcement. Seems like you should be able to get a rep out of interest like that.

Comment

advancing in the competition will get you an interview with an agent/producer/manager. You are on your own at that point. The competition will open the door into the pipeline for you. It's up to you to show the writing chops to the 'real' judges.

Greg, I have a question. Why on the application form do you ask if the entrant is a prior quarterfinal/semi finalist? Why would that be important?

Comment

A few stat nerd questions:

1. How many additional entries do you expect to get as a result of raising the income limit from $5,000 to $25,000?
                      Don't really know. My guess is a few hundred.

Also no way of knowing whether the rule might scare away some entrants.

2. What percent of Nicholl finalists/winners obtain representation as a result (within 3 months, for example)? I assume it's pretty close to 100%??)
                      We have never tracked representation. This policy may change in the future.

Without question, opportunities exist for each of the finalists and fellows.

3. What percent of Nicholl finalists/winners end up with IMDB credits, join the WGA, or have professional success by some other measure? (I know you report specific achievements, movies released by winners, etc. but how does it work as a %?)
                      We track productions and publications, posted (though perhaps not as up-to-date as it should be) in the Notable Nicholl fellows section of the Academy site.

Don't have percentages. It wouldn't be hard to count the imdb credits and divide by the 138 fellows (which includes 10 collaborative pairs). Don't have time to count at the moment.

I did count WGA membership last year for fellows/finalists during a limited recent period, perhaps 2007-2011. That would be in a thread somewhere around here.

Comment

Originally posted by jsay View Post
                        question for Greg:

Would the Nicholl ever consider just not allowing writers to enter who make a living professionally from screenwriting, as opposed to having a $ limit? And people would have to produce their tax slips,if they won, to prove how they make a living? A writer who sells or sold one script for $30K or $35k is most likely back at work to pay the bills.
                        Given that we just raised the lifetime earnings limit from $5,000 to $25,000, we'll probably leave that in place for a few years before considering any other changes.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post

a) Winners.
                          b) Finalists.
                          d) Quarter.

EJ
                          As I mentioned in a previous response, we don't track representation. That may change in the future.

As you know, we requested feedback from semifinalists but our intention was to gather information (and to ask about potential future inclusion of log lines on the contact information lists). Don't know whether we'll disclose the feedback publically. Before doing so, we would ask permission of each semifinalist regarding their comments.

The responses we received were overwhelmingly positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post
                            advancing in the competition will get you an interview with an agent/producer/manager. You are on your own at that point. The competition will open the door into the pipeline for you. It's up to you to show the writing chops to the 'real' judges.

Greg, I have a question. Why on the application form do you ask if the entrant is a prior quarterfinal/semi finalist? Why would that be important?
                            It's a holdover from the paper application days when it was included as an additional tracker of individual entrants. In order to avoid distributing scripts to readers who had read them previously, we had to match an application with an existing record. The more information to match the more likely we were to find an existing record. Quarter/Semi status was another marker.

With our online application system, it doesn't matter as much but it still works when an entrant appears to be "new" but checks off past quarter/semi/finalist. That alerts us that we probably need to merge the new entrant record with an existing record. Once merged, then the system automatically prevents us from assigning a previously entered script to a reader who scored it in another year and warns us regarding a reader having previously read any script by the entrant.

Comment

Given that we just raised the lifetime earnings limit from $5,000 to $25,000, we'll probably leave that in place for a few years before considering any other changes.
                              Why not just lock the limit to the WGA minimum payment for delivery of a first draft?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                                Why not just lock the limit to the WGA minimum payment for delivery of a first draft?
                                The limits in general just sort of feel outdated to me. The real professionals earning a living at this aren't going to enter. They wouldn't need to, and would look foolish doing so. But it would open the door further for those on the cusp, who could benefit from another push. The Black List, trackingb (which don't have any limits) seem to show that it's mostly amateurs who will still enter. I imagine the Nicholl would find even better scripts this way too... Anyway, I'm sure these are part of the reasons for the increase, which is great... I just wonder if it would self-select this way without any limits.

Comment

Working...
                                X