Clear All

Re: Austin Film Festival 2017

Also:
    1) Pack snacks.
    2) Tote a water bottle.

[Not this year.]

Comment

in response to #9, I'll be there. My first time.

Comment

My advice:

Stay near the Driskill. Unless you're a guy (and even guys have trouble sometimes) walking around near 6th street at night alone can be icky.
        That said, Austin is really safe. I'm from a town with one stoplight and I feel pretty comfortable in Austin --just walking around alone at dark creeps me out. There are shuttles (see AFF materials when you check in) and Austin has lots of ride sharing. I think Uber is back in town (was gone for a while) Fasten and Lyft also popular.

The other person talked about not drinking too much. Related advice: be sure to eat. Don't just eat the free Luna bars and PLEASE do not be one of those people excited about the Chipotle coupons. There are all kinds of great restaurants downtown Austin. Have some BBQ, Tex-Mex, there's Thai nearby, Indian, all kinds of places. You'll probably have the most time during lunch.

Don't try too hard or worry too much. Someone posted a lot about business cards. They're helpful, but you know what's more helpful? Finding the person you just met in line on Facebook and then just keeping in touch that way.

Talk to people while you're in line.

Related to don't try too hard: check out Austin while you're there. There are lots of things to see/do. If Saturday gets too crowded (and it might) that's a good time to head down South Congress (bats fly at dusk from the Radisson) and maybe do some shopping, hang out at a coffee shop, or whatever.

It can be 80 degrees outside but like 65 in the A/C so consider bringing a sweater.

(Just realized my advice has almost zero to do with the festival itself!)

Comment

if someone wants to read a screenplay, do most writers send by email, icloud, personal website link? does the festival keep a database available to attendees?

Comment

Not sure what you mean by database.
            In a little room in the Driskill (I think) there are a bunch of scripts that were finalists or maybe even all the way to second rounders that people can read if they want to. They're physical, hard copy scripts. Anyone can read them. I think you have to read them there?

As far as you meeting someone who wants to read your script, I suppose you could do whatever you'd normally do. Personally I'd send it as a PDF in an email... call me old fashioned. That iCloud idea sends me imagining accidentally sharing the entire contents of my brain with some stranger. Yikes! A lot of people tend to have a website where they list their loglines and sometimes even the script. I was always advised to keep a record of who has read your script. With the script-on-the-web situation, you can't really do that. I suppose you could password protect it, but at the end of the day I think people prefer to have a PDF they can open on Weekend Read or iBooks and just read it.

Finally: not to be a buzzkill, but don't be crushed if no one wants to read your script. You're mostly there to meet people and learn stuff and have fun.

Comment

agreed. i've read about too many hacks.

Comment

Are jeans OK? Like every day?

Someone just tell me 'yes.'

Comment

yes. and they keep the Driskill rooms frosty so always bring a sweater
                  Last edited by JoeBanks; 10-21-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

JoeBanks,

You're the best

Comment

Jeans every day!

Comment

Working...
                      X